I don't think anyone under 170 except Khabib has a chance against new Conor

I think we are on the same page. My post saying Khabib May end Tony’s career was a little overly dramatic but what I really meant is his career as we know it. Tony is one of the all time great fighters of any weight class and any time in fighting history. He has a aura that makes him seem practically unbeatable. As you and I have discussed on many occasions I feel his age plus damage taken is declining his incredible abilities and the last few years fighting Lee,Pettis and Cowboy at one fight a year he may be thinking it as well. The Tony of 5 years ago would have already tested himself against Justin,Dustin and Conor but he has been satisfied to fight broken but respectable fighters instead. Khabib on the other hand has been fighting the very best and I think Tony will notice a whole different animal and non broken spirit in Khabib. I think Khabib beats him easily and Tony becomes a much better version of Cowboy (as they are both 36 and have taken a lot of damage.) Tony will be better than Cowboy as he always has been but the age, damage and now some of that aura will be irreparably damaged. Tony will then fight all of the great contenders at 155 to keep his number 2 spot but will slide down the ladder into retirement in 4 or 5 more fights.

Yeah man IDK. On the one hand, I do think Tony is just a different kind of animal. On the other hand, Father Time is undefeated. And Tony isn't "old" yet, but he's getting there in fight years.

Yeah man IDK. On the one hand, I do think Tony is just a different kind of animal. On the other hand, Father Time is undefeated. And Tony isn't "old" yet, but he's getting there in fight years.
He is the same age as Cowboy . Only HWT’s fight at 41 as speed is not as detrimental as power in that class. In the shark tank of the LW division you need to have it all. I honestly doubt Khabib,Justin ,Dustin and Conor are ranked top 5 in 5 or 6 years when they get to be Tony’s age but I am sure Tony won’t be there then.

There is no "new Conor" its all just marketing hype because "old" Conor got his ass kicked and they need to build him back up again.

He is the same age as Cowboy . Only HWT’s fight at 41 as speed is not as detrimental as power in that class. In the shark tank of the LW division you need to have it all. I honestly doubt Khabib,Justin ,Dustin and Conor are ranked top 5 in 5 or 6 years when they get to be Tony’s age but I am sure Tony won’t be there then.

Yeah I agree. And Tony has been in a few fights where he's taken some damage. I would still say Cowboy is noticeably older in "fight years" though. KO losses, brutally beaten down a few times, etc..

We'll see when the decline comes. I still say he's a couple years away at least before it's really evident.

Quite the leap considering he has a 1-1 record at LW.

Yeah I agree. And Tony has been in a few fights where he's taken some damage. I would still say Cowboy is noticeably older in "fight years" though. KO losses, brutally beaten down a few times, etc..

We'll see when the decline comes. I still say he's a couple years away at least before it's really evident.
We agree.
On the funny side, something guaranteed to make you laugh;
For those who think the fight with Tony killed the Cowboy and that is why he lost his next 2 fights.... by that logic it was actually the fight with raging Al. Cowboy May have won but the fight took so much out of him he lost his next 3. I know you are laughing while reading this.

Pump the breaks, Conor has only fought like 3 LWs in the UFC.

We agree.
On the funny side, something guaranteed to make you laugh;
For those who think the fight with Tony killed the Cowboy and that is why he lost his next 2 fights.... by that logic it was actually the fight with raging Al. Cowboy May have won but the fight took so much out of him he lost his next 3. I know you are laughing while reading this.

I mean...Al did land a few shots in rd 1 anyway ha ha...

Nobody knows who will win any fight on any given day but there are logical conclusions. Conor not only beat Cowboy in 40 seconds, Aldo in 13 seconds, Dustin in 90 seconds and the same version of Alvarez that had just defeated the best version of a RDA and certainly better than the version that just beat Lee . Lee beat Chiesa. Logically Conor buries him. I would like to see the fight as much as you but Conor fights are big money fights and there are more accomplished fighters than Lee to attend to first
Conor beat Aldo at 145, and he refused to prove it was not a fluke. Even if it wasn’t, it has no bearing on the lw fighters we are talking about. Aldo is now at 135. Alvarez got lucky to be champion, he’s a can. Cowboy is washed up and was coming off of two finish losses. The version of RDA that Alvarez beat has nothing to do with Conor fighting those guys. So cowboy was a tougher fight than Lee??
<{MingNope}>
We are done here.

Conor beat Aldo at 145, and he refused to prove it was not a fluke. Even if it wasn’t, it has no bearing on the lw fighters we are talking about. Aldo is now at 135. Alvarez got lucky to be champion, he’s a can. Cowboy is washed up and was coming off of two finish losses. The version of RDA that Alvarez beat has nothing to do with Conor fighting those guys. So cowboy was a tougher fight than Lee??
<{MingNope}>
We are done here.
According to you everyone is a can except Kevin Lee? Al beat him twice and his best win is Chiesa. I didn’t know you put that much stock in beating Chiesa but if you do Joe Lauzon must must be your idea of Goat. Look, I am not saying Cowboy is great but he beat Al recently and Lee lost to him twice so I guess that implies he is better.

According to you everyone is a can except Kevin Lee? Al beat him twice and his best win is Chiesa. I didn’t know you put that much stock in beating Chiesa but if you do Joe Lauzon must must be your idea of Goat. Look, I am not saying Cowboy is great but he beat Al recently and Lee lost to him twice so I guess that implies he is better.
I said one fighter is a can because he is. You’re shifting goal posts going in a circle with mma match and speculation. I made a simple post. Cowboy is not an impressive win that catapults one in the division, and that there are a number of guys who would give Conor a very tough fight, aside from Khabib. Simple, period, end of story.

I said one fighter is a can because he is. You’re shifting goal posts going in a circle with mma match and speculation. I made a simple post. Cowboy is not an impressive win that catapults one in the division, and that there are a number of guys who would give Conor a very tough fight, aside from Khabib. Simple, period, end of story.
Cowboy is ranked number 5 on this website Lee is ranked below him . Conor has already fought #1,#3 #5. Sounds impressive to me. I guess we really are done here.

Cowboy is ranked number 5 on this website Lee is ranked below him . Conor has already fought #1,#3 #5. Sounds impressive to me. I guess we really are done here.

I think we kind of have to combine rankings, our own eyes, and basic logic. And honestly, betting lines (or what they'd project to be). Cowboy is ranked higher than Lee but if they scheduled that fight next (I know Cowboy is on medical suspension and Lee is fighting Oliveira but hypothetically) Lee would be a MASSIVE favorite. Like, -350 at least after people have seen Cowboy stopped 3 times in a row.

Nate x2, Cerrone, Khabib and Alvarez. So it's 4 LWs in the UFC and he's 3-2.
Natex2 was fought at 170, so was Cerrone. So he had 3 fights at WW. 2 fights at LW and a bunch at 145. 3 weight divisions is definitely impressive, right?

I think we kind of have to combine rankings, our own eyes, and basic logic. And honestly, betting lines (or what they'd project to be). Cowboy is ranked higher than Lee but if they scheduled that fight next (I know Cowboy is on medical suspension and Lee is fighting Oliveira but hypothetically) Lee would be a MASSIVE favorite. Like, -350 at least after people have seen Cowboy stopped 3 times in a row.
After 3 losses maybe, but if Cowboy fought Lee instead of Conor last week and only had 2 losses you and I both would have taken Cowboy because he beat Al recently and Lee tried twice and could not.

Natex2 was fought at 170, so was Cerrone. So he had 3 fights at WW. 2 fights at LW and a bunch at 145. 3 weight divisions is definitely impressive, right?

It is, and obviously I'm of the opinion that Conor hasn't proven a ton outside of FW.

He's an all time great 145'er. And winning fights at 155 and 170 is impressive. I just think we have to differentiate between "Hey he's shown he can beat very good fighters above 145" (which is true) and "OMG Conor is top 3 at LW for sure and maybe WW too!" because we don't know at all if that's true. He's had 5 total fights and he's 3-2 in them. Yes, Khabib isbthe top ranked LW so can't downgrade Conor too much for that. But Nate was ranked 14th at LW (I know fights were at 170) with double digit losses when he stopped Conor. It's not that Conor for sure is NOT among the elite at 155 and 170, it's that his body of work is way too small to know.

After 3 losses maybe, but if Cowboy fought Lee instead of Conor last week and only had 2 losses you and I both would have taken Cowboy because he beat Al recently and Lee tried twice and could not.

Oh hell no I wouldn't have taken Cowboy in that matchup coming off 2 straight stoppage losses. There are other factors of course, namely Lee being at Tristar and his impressive KO of Gregor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back