I don't know how to read this program can I get an explanation

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm in the USMC so obviously I work out a little different than most. However the amount I've learned from the forum I figure I want to keep learning. I read references to the sheiko 29 THE PROVISIONAL MONTHLY PLAN - 1

Opened it up and realized I'm so unnacustomed to common weightlifting practices I don't even know how to read this. Bench

50% 5x1, 60% 4x2, 70% 3x2, 75% 3x5

Squat

50% 5x1, 60% 5x2, 70% 5x5

I don't know what it all means, I know this is simple but I'm trying to figure out do you do all the benches at once so in total that just seems like a crazy number of reps. Could someone just read day 1 and explain how you'd do it/coupled with how much rest between sets. I'm an endurance athlete so while I"m not going to change over entirely, I believe I'd be able to understand what people are talking about and thus learn more if I get what you mean.

Normally, the percentage means intensity which means the fraction of your 1RM. And normally, The first number x second number means sets by reps. Sheiko is a high volume program.

What are your current lifts and BW? What are your goals?

Last edited:
Read this. It has a link to a spread sheet that is very handy for running Sheiko. As well as a link to the Dave Bates Sheiko routine, which, depending on what kind of training volume and frequency you use now could be a better introdution to Sheiko than #29.

13 weeks of sheiko? - Bodybuilding.com Forums

But to answer your question

Bench
50%, 5 reps, 1 sets
60% 4 reps, 2 sets
70% 3 reps, 2 sets
75% 3 reps, 5 sets
And similarly for the squats. The percent means what percent of your 1 rep max for that lift. The rest is as much as needed between sets, although since it's a lot of volume, you need to pace yourself.

And it's a lot of reps because that's how sheiko works. No one set is that hard, but there's lots of them.

Normally, the percentage means intensity which means the fraction of your 1RM. The first number x second number means sets by reps. Sheiko is a high volume program.

Sheiko is a Russian program, so it's reps by sets.

Normally, the percentage means intensity which means the fraction of your 1RM. The first number x second number means sets by reps. Sheiko is a high volume program.

Current goals, run uphill with my 240B. Which pretty much means my primary goals are endurance under well compared to most of the power guys on here would be a moderate load. Never more than 150 lbs. Maybe gain another 10 lbs to help support the weight. At 6'5" 220lbs, but a wingspan of 6'9" I'm very lightly built even if I"m not small. Problem is I run, a lot, which makes gaining weight a challenge. Stopped running long distance, now I'm not running more than 3 miles at a pop. instead of just running 3 times a week switched it to 1 run, 1 fartlek and 1 2 miler of some sort in boots.

Unfortunately hurt my achilles so much of the normal weightlifting is out for me for a while.
Before I got messed up. Was in Ca for 2 months so no lifting there.
dl 330lbs 4 reps (still learning technique before I got messed up)
squat 345 6 reps
Now stuff I can do
bench dumbbell 90lbs sets of 7 haven't done it in a bit, will according to history be at 100 by the end of next month.
I'm over 20 pull ups
The majority of my lifts at the moment are similar to crossfit. ie sumo deadlift high pulls 110lbs for multiple sets of 8 (when I can do 3 sets of ten it goes up).
plate loaded squat press machine (I know but it doesn't torque my achilles) 495 9 reps.
Do a ton of seated row, depending on grip I use 210-290lbs for sets of 8 or so (narrow 290, wide which raises it higher is 210)

Sounds odd but all the leg stuff I do right now I don't go up in weight until I hit 15 reps for the main lift then 10 for the others, upper body 10 with the exception of maybe 1 exercise in a session.

Ok so sheiko is abnormaly high numbers, that explains why I didn't get it. But what I'd read said it kinda fit more into my goals of training than most do. Would that be accurate?

Last edited:
Ok so sheiko is abnormaly high numbers, that explains why I didn't get it. But what I'd read said it kinda fit more into my goals of training than most do. Would that be accurate?

Sheiko is a powerlifting program, based entirely around getting a stronger squat, bench and deadlift. If you're eating enough, it can help you gain muscle, on the other hand some people find that since the volume is so high they lose weight. And they're are easier ways to gain 10 pounds. The workouts are also long, you might get done in under 2 hours some days, but don't count on it. Also, many people find it makes them very sore.

That said, I'm really liking Sheiko (although my goals are different from yours), I don't feel any signifcant soreness, and I'm getting in cardio regularly with no problem.

Sheiko is a powerlifting program, based entirely around getting a stronger squat, bench and deadlift. If you're eating enough, it can help you gain muscle, on the other hand some people find that since the volume is so high they lose weight. And they're are easier ways to gain 10 pounds. The workouts are also long, you might get done in under 2 hours some days, but don't count on it. Also, many people find it makes them very sore.

That said, I'm really liking Sheiko (although my goals are different from yours), I don't feel any signifcant soreness, and I'm getting in cardio regularly with no problem.
Thanks, I have never not had a problem gaining weight. I tend to loose weight whenever I start a new program... think I'm going to stay away from this mindset then, thanks.

Back