I don't know, Amy

Madmick

Zugzwang
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
In my local newspaper they print "Ask Amy", which is the legacy column of the decades-running "Dear, Anne". It's the sappy corn-pone advice column read by middle-aged women everywhere-- and Madmick. Okay, not really, but the headline of the column caught my eye this morning.

Ask Amy: Husband resents wife’s grief over ex’s death
Dear Amy: My wife and I have been together since 2010. Our marriage has never been perfect, but we have managed to stay together. We've both been married before and have kids from our first marriages.

Last weekend, my wife's ex-husband (father of her 14-year-old son) died — either from an overdose or by suicide.

Instead of her son being distraught, he is taking the news well. His dad has not been in his life much, since the dad has been in prison multiple times.

My wife, however, is torn up over his death. She has said things such as, "I can't believe he is gone; why would he do this to us . . .?" She has been crying practically nonstop.

This is taking a toll on our already challenging relationship. I feel as though she is still in love with him and is going to miss him.

I feel the opposite way about my ex-wife (mother of my kids). If she died, I would be throwing a huge party. I'd celebrate, not cry.

I can't imagine anyone being this upset over someone they haven't had a relationship with in 10 years. He has never paid child support, so there is no financial attachment.

I can't help feeling that because she is so upset about this death, that maybe there was more going on between them over the years, during the time we've been together.

Am I wrong for thinking there is something wrong here?

WTF

WTF: Yes, there is something wrong here. With you.

Perhaps your wife is crying and carrying on because she is basically begging you to notice and to talk to her about her feelings. Not for you to tell her how to feel, or expound on how you would celebrate your ex’s death (that’s nice, by the way), but to comfort her and ask her to describe her own emotions, even if you don’t understand or share them.

Maybe she would emote a little less if you emoted a little more — or at all. Yes, she should probably dial down her emotions, while you should dial up your own.

The person you should both be paying close attention to is this 14-year-old boy. Kids this age never express sadness or loss the way adults do. They suppress their emotions and feel anger, confusion, depression, guilt — and sometimes relief (and then guilt about their relief) when an absent and/or troubled parent is out of their life forever.

You stepson also has to deal with a mother who is grieving, weeping and feeling victimized and abandoned — and a stepfather who has decided to be judgmental and jealous.

I suggest you keep your eye on the ball and pay very close attention to this teenager. He needs to feel supported by the two adults in his life. Right now, he seems to have no one.
Somebody else has got to have a wife with an ex who has died, right? This cannot be normal. I fear the man's jealousy instincts perhaps carry far more wisdom and insight from millennia of evolution than Amy's DARE commercial "grownup" advice. You're gonna get my ass kicked after school, Amy.

Feels pretty cheap to blame this on him. What does the Berry think?

6df974f0-c52b-0132-46b6-0e9062a7590a.gif

I'm very confident the old lady and I would both be getting down and throwing parties together...

So I really can't help in this thread.

This isn't surprising at all. A women is always attached to the person she had a child with especially the first one. This is the way it has always been and always will be. It's why I wont ever get involved seriously with a women who has kids from a previous relationship. Me and my other two cousins have talked about how we could easily go and bang our ex's we have children with if we wanted to. They are all in relationships with other people.

I went to my cousins house once to visit him. He had a new GF at the time and him and his ex had broken up for like 3 years already. She saw all of us hanging out when she brought her child over to visit him and started crying. Seeing my cousin hang out with me and his new gf like we used to do with her was to much for her apparently.

People have different ways of dealing with and reacting to someone’s death. That advice is weird because it’s telling him he needs to be more emotional.

I understand that it would be uncomfortable and unpleasant for the current husband, but he sounds a bit like an asshole.
Unless your ex-wife/mother of your child did some seriously deranged shit to you, being happy about their death is fucked up.

The woman married the man and created a life with him. She can be sad for him as an ex-lover, and as the father of her child. She can be sad for her son and what having a father that committed suicide could do to him, and she can be sad for him just on a human level.
Their kid is 14, so she's probably not very old, so it's not like this guy died of natural causes.

They should focus on the kid, and give the mom time to get it out of her system. That should naturallly bring her around to talking about her feelings on it.
Pretty dumb to be jealous of a dead guy, when you have no proof of infidelity

I understand that it would be uncomfortable and unpleasant for the current husband, but he sounds a bit like an asshole.
Unless your ex-wife/mother of your child did some seriously deranged shit to you, being happy about their death is fucked up.

The woman married the man and created a life with him. She can be sad for him as an ex-lover, and as the father of her child. She can be sad for her son and what having a father that committed suicide could do to him, and she can be sad for him just on a human level.
Their kid is 14, so she's probably not very old, so it's not like this guy died of natural causes.

They should focus on the kid, and give the mom time to get it out of her system. That should naturallly bring her around to talking about her feelings on it.
Pretty dumb to be jealous of a dead guy, when you have no proof of infidelity

Oh,

Hi Amy...

Marriage has been ok, they "make it work", her Ex dies and she is completely distraught?

She was still riding that D for sure. But hey, woman columnist, so it's your fault dude.....

Amy's right on this one.

Dude sounds like a legit sociopath. You don't divorce someone and lose all emotion associated with that person; humans aren't robots. Like someone else said, especially when you had a kid with that person.

Whether she loved him, hated him, what have you, there is still a lot of memories attached. I mean if you became estranged from your mom or dad, would you not still feel some sadness if you heard news of their death? Particularly if it was a suicide?

Amy's response feels very artificial, especially for a "professional".

Guess the reason she has to go overboard, albeit in a very forced way, is because she's not sure what answer to give so she sides with the woman, which is the safe auto-default for relationship professionals. They actually are taught to do this.

It also feels forced the way she wrote it because she probably doesn't even actually feel that way, so she goes into overdrive in an effort to compensate for her actual lack of personal reaction to this story. She has to generate emotions (so she can sound more like an authority) artificially, make it real convincing-like. Thanks, Amy

"I feel the opposite way about my ex-wife (mother of my kids). If she died, I would be throwing a huge party. I'd celebrate, not cry."

If that were true, then it sounds like the writer of the question has some bigger issues, himself. So many people like to think they'd be one way when they haven't been in a situation before, but they might surprise themselves.

Hell, if one of my exes from 20 years ago died, I'd be sad. I mean I wouldn't be sitting there for weeks depressed but this is someone you shared memories with and being sad is natural. Someone died, someone who was close to you. If you were sitting there throwing a party I'd think you had a little Patrick Bateman in you.

In fact, re-reading this guy's question, I think he is a bit of a dick. "Oh, this guy was in prison, this guy didn't pay child support, he was a piece of shit"...well aren't you Mr. Knight in shining armor, then...coming around to shit talk the kid's dad. I've dated women with kids and I would NEVER discuss their father no matter how bad I'd heard he was (and unless you KNOW the dude, it's still just hearsay), unless the kids brought him up. And even if they did, I'd listen and talk about their feelings about it, but NEVER talk about how I felt about the dude. You don't shit talk a kid's dad to the kid.

Sounds like the dude feels threatened and wants to be the only one in their lives, physically and mentally. Life doesn't work like that.

Last edited:
I don't want to steal Amy's thunder here, but in my opinion - dat bish was cheating on the dude. No question.

All alpha of you. Dude should loosen up, hide in the closet, and watch her eat a dick. Have a fwap and enjoy bro.

I always found these kinds of advice columns weird. Unless people are asking for advice on a specific topic (one in which the columnist is an expert on) I don't quite understand what makes someone more qualified to give general advice than someone else.

"I feel the opposite way about my ex-wife (mother of my kids). If she died, I would be throwing a huge party. I'd celebrate, not cry."

If that were true, then it sounds like the writer of the question has some bigger issues, himself. So many people like to think they'd be one way when they haven't been in a situation before, but they might surprise themselves.

Hell, if one of my exes from 20 years ago died, I'd be sad. I mean I wouldn't be sitting there for weeks depressed but this is someone you shared memories with and being sad is natural. Someone died, someone who was close to you. If you were sitting there throwing a party I'd think you had a little Patrick Bateman in you.

Finally a reasonable post!

3168C268-0E4D-4222-B1C2-AD77BCBDD9C9.jpeg This is what gets printed in my local rag.

Back