I don't know about the stoppage, but what impressed me the most...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Drugstore Cowboy, Jan 20, 2019.

1. Drugstore Cowboy

Drugstore Cowboy Brown Belt

...is Henry's speed and technical development.

Karate Henry or Henry 2.0 (however you want) is one of the most underrated creatures in MMA, IMO.

First of all, we all know TJ Dillashaw is a switch-hitter who likes to shift his attacks in all directions. He changes levels of his attacks and he also strikes in the line or around. He fights mainly from wide stance or a crouch, which gives him multi-directional mobility.

In this fight, at the very beginning he was trying to leg kick Henry, but the problem was, Henry was moving slightly in and out.

[​IMG]

This gave Henry space to pressure him and back him up on the cage where TJ's complex movement is more limited to lateral.

Henry threw a fast round kick (head kick) in order to limit TJ's movement even more and it was so fast it actually landed on TJ.

[​IMG]

TJ failed to land an overhand (similar punch that knocked Barao down in the first fight). TJ throws a jab from orthodox stance and then dips in and charges that overhand.

Henry had a complete control in the centerline with his karate stance, easily blocked it and pushed TJ away.

[​IMG]

Henry also partially landed that head kick again while TJ was getting up.

Notice that both kicks are thrown when TJ was in southpaw. That limits TJ's movement only to the opposite side of a kick.

Basically, Henry had 3 out of 4 main directions in his control.
    1. out (backward)
    2. in (forward)
    3. to his right (when TJ was standing lefty)
    TJ had only one way to exit and that was on Henry's left side, where ultimately, TJ got intercepted by Henry's diagonal right cross.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Henry wanted TJ to exit right so he can get that angle and he knew it is the only direction where TJ can move.

This is high level technical stuff from Henry. They we're prepared for these dips and movements.

Two takeaways:
    • Henry's in and out movement (karate style)
    • Henry's usage of head kicks in a major role

Both fighters are outstanding. I'm fan of their craft.
    UFC bless.

2. perlrulez

perlrulez Yellow Belt

In other words, you copied this guy's analysis. And reposted it in your own words. Nice try.

3. Drugstore Cowboy

Yeah I've watched few things which inspired me to put the fight into the gifs. I was impressed by the craft, not by the breakdown. Did I post anything wrong? Spread the knowledge boizz. :)

What do you think about their styles?

4. Tomas

Tomas Taking a shite on the back of a bus

I fuckin hate that guy's click bait titles "what REALLY happened!!!" as if he has some secret that nobody else does

Truth is, Henry was faster than TJ, and he caught TJ with a heavy shot. He made a 12 minute video out of a 30 second fight LOL

5. xentreos

xentreos Green Belt

Lmao first post slaughtered this. Anyway he kinda has a conor Mcgregor stance going. There is something about that hand out front that really helps you control distance I employ it quite a bit myself in the few fights I’ve had it works. You can get in trouble with some jones warning about fingers in the eye but for the most part your fine. You gotta punish them with the jab or feints into the overhand to counter it consistently.

I am your real dad likes this.
  6. grimkitty

grimkitty size 33 belt

that belt is hideous

magicmarker likes this.
  7. Drugstore Cowboy

I think Cejudo has similar stance but Conor is better counter puncher.

8. Mike K.O

Mike K.O Mystic Mike

Mini Shamrock bless

9. jsbx45

jsbx45 Brown Belt

Agree TS. No one (well hardly anyone) is talking about how good Cejudo looked. Props. I like TJ too, but he looked like hell after that weight cut and Cejudo F'd him up, early stoppage or not.

10. Drugstore Cowboy

I guess that weight cut has an effect. Even first punch that knocked TJ down wasn't the best punch coz TJ was moving away.

11. estranged

estranged Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Kenny Florian style

yeguiza likes this.
  12. Fluffernutter

Fluffernutter Red Belt

Very underrated counter straight right.

13. The Dreamcatcher

The Dreamcatcher Yellow Belt

Solid analysis for a 32 second fight.

I am your real dad and Klaavical like this.
  14. Sherdognut

Sherdognut White Belt

Lol at these expert arm chair analysts trying to pretend there was some sort of complex strategical warefare at play in a 30 second fight.

Henry was quick and TJ was slow, that's all there is to it. He was overconfident and had his hands low instead of utilising his boxing defence and kickboxing range like he did against Cody.

Dumb mistakes by TJ and Henry made him pay for it. Hopefully he doesn't act like a cocky idiot next time and we get a good long fight that allows us to assess Henrys potential better.

15. Drugstore Cowboy

So you're basically saying Henry won because TJ did everything wrong? Is that how you see all the fights going? Seems like in your mind everything is either black or white because you can't see more than a two variables.

16. DelanoRunnymede

DelanoRunnymede Green Belt

It's almost impossible to take anything meaningful away from a 30 second fight. TJ got clipped behind the ear like Poirier did v Conor.

Is TJ now overrated and a terrible fighter? No.
    Is Henry Cejudo now a p4p great and the next superstar? No.

17. Sherdognut

Sherdognut White Belt

What variables? The fight lasted 30 seconds lmao. Do you think Conor was playing a 4D strategical mental chess game when he KOed Aldo who charged with his chin up?

TJ got clipped by a grazing blow behind the ear because of his carelessness and payed for it badly. There wasn't any masterful setup or complete technical domination like TJ vs Barao. The fight was simply too short to make any conclusions about either fighter, heck they weren't even warmed up at that point.

18. Drugstore Cowboy

Yeah but even from that 13 second fight you can draw some conclusions. Pull counter i.e.? Conor caught Aldo inbetween two punches?

Seems to me like you are watching that fight only from Aldo's perspective. He fucked up and failed on Conor's fist?

If you are analysing anything, you have to watch it from all perspectives to get a clearer picture I guess.

I am your real dad and drbolony like this.
  19. drbolony

drbolony -El Styles-

Awesome breakdown man. I really don't know what TJ is crying about. Henry did exactly what he said he was going to do.

How about all these champs calling their shots lately? I love it. This time it cost one of my favorite fighters, but he's been sort of a shit head lately. Still my boy though.

DC with catching Stipe on the clinch break

Amanda attacking Cyborgs lead leg, knowing her reaction would be to charge forward.

And now we have "beautiful right hand" Henry, as he put it.

Drugstore Cowboy likes this.
  20. I am your real dad

I am your real dad I am surrounded by NERDs !!!

I useally like TJs low switching boxing posture better than that karate stance but not this time. I think if TJ would have kept his hands up when moving in and out it would have lasted a little longer, Cejudo had the range measured well with that left hand out karate stance.

Drugstore Cowboy likes this.