I don't get the Seagal hate

It's mixed martial arts so why not get some insight from a 7th degree black belt in aikido? A lot of people view Seagal as a douche or a fraud and although he isn't a god. He knows a lot about mixed martial arts

Look, I like senseless action movies as much as the other guy, which is why in one sense I like Seagal, on the other hand his personality and the things he has said/done on and off set have made peoples view of him very negative. He talks about being into zen and all this shit and then beats up his wife, talks about what he could do when he's never been in a real fight he didn't get his ass handed to him (See Gene Lebell choking his ass out or him running from JCVD)

The only fights he "wins" is where he bullies people with no fighting skills due to his size and knowledge of certain skills that while I'm sure could be used to defend yourself or hurt other people, if you honestly think he has more practical combat knowledge than say Anderson Silva that notion is comical.

See Gene Lebell or many other people who have actually competed outside of a movie set for traditional martial arts, the hate has nothing to do with him being a traditional martial artist and everything to do with him being a pompous egotistical prick who goes around with this look on his face like he's ready to kill everyone, when in reality he would most likely get his ass kicked. Jose Aldo, there's a guy that when he looks at you or a camera you can tell he's not "putting it on" he just has that animal in him (fighting spirit).

Last edited:
Between the Kick he thought Anderson for vitor

the one he showed lyoto for randy

He hasn't just been there for one guy one time and everyone was giggling.

he's been brought in by the best on numerous occasions because he is obviously legit.

does he know everything? no

but does he bring a unique skill set that clearly fascinates mma elite fighters? yes

his outfit and personality are just a huge bonus.

Im picking jones in the fight but don't be surprised if DC mentions Seagal in his post fight interview if he wins.

It's called envy.
Most haters in this place have it.
That's why they hate the guys on top. That's why they rather root against someone than root for someone to win.

The problem with this running joke is I can't tell who's in on it, and who's just an idiot.

LOL!

I know reposting material is frowned on, but I can't help myself. If I could share it with the whole wide world, I would.

A few quotes from the man himself, and a few tidbits rounded up by journalists...

SG: "I am hoping that I can be known as a great writer and actor some day, rather than a sex symbol."

SG: "I was born very different, clairvoyant and a healer."

VICE: Morihei Ueshiba died in 1968. Meaning that Steven would have had to have been a teenager living alone in Japan for that to have happened. [Which is ludicrous.]

Vanity Fair: When Warner Bros. put him on a strict diet and supplied him with a trainer, they found cookie crumbs on the fitness equipment.

SG: "I'd rather make Terms of Endearment than Commando. I want to make a movie that can grab people by the heartstrings."

From his mother...HIS MOTHER: Told he paints himself has having been an urban "street kid" whom the Fullerton youths saw as "some kind of crazy gangster," Pat says her son was frail and suffered from asthma. "He was a puny kid back then."

SG: "You can say that I became an adviser to several CIA agents in the field, and. through my friends in the CIA, met many powerful people and did special works and special favors."

Vanity Fair: He had big ideas for big scripts, such as the one he wrote about AIDS, which was, as he movingly explained to studio executives, hatched by the CIA in order to eradicate blacks and gays.

People Magazine: A stylist who fit Seagal for a tuxedo on Oscar night says, "I had to tailor the tux around two giant guns. He said he needed 'cover' in case 'they' rushed the stage on him. Who 'they' were, I have no idea."

SG: "The secret is not to act, but to be."

Not read the whole thread. Why one day from the biggest night of his career would Daniel Cormier spend time with this guy who is a "joke" apparently?
Could be mind games but then I imagine every camp in MMA would be in on the joke so Jones would know aswell. Maybe just maybe he actually does have something to offer. And yes he'd get his ass handed to him etc but he's also well up there in years.

Has Anderson or Lyoto confirmed or denied Segal teaching them that front kick? Seem like that could be a little insight on Segal's legitness.

Segal is the man, I'll leave you guys with this gem

[YT]vLe_BZ1mo3I[/YT]

Legend in MMA, Legend in action movies, Legend in Reggaton music

He's a certified douchebag, purposefully hurting stuntmen and other actors and acting like some spiritual pseudo-messianic figure, and he also makes wildly over-exaggerated claims about his abilities.

I can't really say much about his MA credentials, much of the Aikido stuff looks ridiculously fake (one armed throw from a wrist grab? lolno)

Last edited:
LOL!

I know reposting material is frowned on, but I can't help myself. If I could share it with the whole wide world, I would.

A few quotes from the man himself, and a few tidbits rounded up by journalists...

SG: "I am hoping that I can be known as a great writer and actor some day, rather than a sex symbol."

SG: "I was born very different, clairvoyant and a healer."

VICE: Morihei Ueshiba died in 1968. Meaning that Steven would have had to have been a teenager living alone in Japan for that to have happened. [Which is ludicrous.]

Vanity Fair: When Warner Bros. put him on a strict diet and supplied him with a trainer, they found cookie crumbs on the fitness equipment.

SG: "I'd rather make Terms of Endearment than Commando. I want to make a movie that can grab people by the heartstrings."

From his mother...HIS MOTHER: Told he paints himself has having been an urban "street kid" whom the Fullerton youths saw as "some kind of crazy gangster," Pat says her son was frail and suffered from asthma. "He was a puny kid back then."

SG: "You can say that I became an adviser to several CIA agents in the field, and. through my friends in the CIA, met many powerful people and did special works and special favors."

Vanity Fair: He had big ideas for big scripts, such as the one he wrote about AIDS, which was, as he movingly explained to studio executives, hatched by the CIA in order to eradicate blacks and gays.

People Magazine: A stylist who fit Seagal for a tuxedo on Oscar night says, "I had to tailor the tux around two giant guns. He said he needed 'cover' in case 'they' rushed the stage on him. Who 'they' were, I have no idea."

SG: "The secret is not to act, but to be."

wow these are amazing.
c is for cookie, that's good enough for Seag.

I'm not sure how legit he is in real life combat. but i remember seeing seminars seagal gave online. People from all over the world would attend them. And he honestly seems to know what he's talking about.

Aside from all that. I always enjoyed his movies. Under siege, hard to kill and some others were awesome movies. Did he make up some of his history? Probably.

He is a douche of the first order. He is well known to be an asshole in hollywood and there are scores of starlets who have stories about him.
He has invented a history that is probably unknowable but unlikely. He is a big fat blowhard with painted on hair. He may be a martial artist but I imagine that any male UFC fighter would kick his ass no matter the weight class.
If his art is so bad, where are all the Aikido fighters in MMA?
I'd pay to watch him fight plenty of old guys. Put him in with couture or even Don Frye and he'd get his ass kicked. His movies suck too.

I'm no Seagal fan but one thing that bothers me is the bias against him.

There is video of him showing Silva the front kick, and coaching him through out the video, on how to do it, snap it. Then Silva does it in a fight and credits Seagal for it.

- People laugh Seagal off.

There is a video of his showing Machida the front kick, and coaching him, how to do it. Next fight, Machida does it and thanks Seagal.

Now if in the video instead of Seagal there was let's say someone like Erik Paulson, people would hail him as a genius. He would get a ton of credit.

It doesn't matter if he's responsible for the front kick KO's, it just shows that people have a bias against him and would not give him credit even if he legitimately taught someone something. Because they think of him as a joke.
Fact of the matter is he's been training martial arts since he was 13, he's bound to know something.

Has Anderson or Lyoto confirmed or denied Segal teaching them that front kick? Seem like that could be a little insight on Segal's legitness.

legitimacy* lol
Anderson has never debunked it, and has spoken very highly of him.
Whether or not he's just being respectful (while not learning shit) is unknown. Even if Seagal didn't have anything applicable to teach you for your upcoming fight, he does have a lot of obscure martial arts knowledge and techniques, which any MMA nerd or enthusiast would love to absorb.
All this said, he's a running joke on here.

*puts on yellow glasses*
*enters slo-mo seagal-vision*

"I could tell that this thread was full of thirsty fanboys, and i will let them suckle from my supple bosom, and reap the delicious spoils that come."
-Seagal

MMA fans seem to have no respect for traditional martial arts or artists.

Respect is earned, not given out freely. A guy like Seagal - a leech and a fraud with a history of sexual harassment, not to mention the ducking of JCVD and his crapping his pants fighting Gene Lebelle - deserves no respect.

I'm no Seagal fan but one thing that bothers me is the bias against him.

There is video of him showing Silva the front kick, and coaching him through out the video, on how to do it, snap it. Then Silva does it in a fight and credits Seagal for it.

There is a video of his showing Machida the front kick, and coaching him, how to do it. Next fight, Machida does it and thanks Seagal.

Now if in the video instead of Seagal there was let's say someone like Erik Paulson, people would hail him as a genius. He would get a ton of credit.

It doesn't matter if he's responsible for the front kick KO's, it just shows that people have a bias against him and would not give him credit even if he legitimately taught someone something. Because they think of him as a joke.
Fact of the matter is he's been training martial arts since he was 13, he's bound to know something.

a couple of very astute points.

Well.....

His movies though part of a big genre years ago, were awful.

He became a pretentious preachy prick telling everyone what to do and think on a variety of environmental and political subjects he knew nothing about.

He has now become an overweight, leeching, washed up hasbeen dork who is trying to stay relevant any way he can....

Clear?

Back