I don't get people that complain about Stann's past getting "shoved down their throa

BayStyles

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
ts"

Every fighter has a backstory, that usually gets told before they fight.

Before one of the Diaz brothers fight, there's a video package about their life in Stockton/Lodi. Their childhoods. Their hobbies (Triathlons, etc)

Before Ben Henderson fights, there's a video package about him being raised by a single korean mother. His life in Arizona.

Before Lavar Johnson fought Pat Barry, there was a video package of him being a victim in a drive by shooting.

Before Glover Teixeira fights, there's a video package about how he started MMA. How he had visa problems not letting him fight in the USA, and now he's finally here.

Before Melvin Guillard fights, there's a video package about his past drug use that interfered with his career.

I could go on and on and on. Brian Stann's past is just that, his past, and it would be a big part of his life to leave out.

It's just being mentioned, not "shoved down your throat"

But he's in the military so that makes him evil for "killing poor brown people"

Because, you know . . . that's all they do, and they do it for fun.

/sarcasm

I've got all the respect in the world for servicemen, but I gotta say that they run the marine corps drill a lot. Probably because the USMC advertizes so much through the UFC.

I think the issue is how much Stann's backstory gets told prefight, then repeated by Rogan and Mike (mainly Mike) dozens of times through the fight

It's not what he does, it's just how forced upon us. When people are constantly pushing an image, they can do it too much to the point where you just wanna start rejecting it.

I dont blame Stann, it's the Zuffa hype machine at work.

When I know I'm being deliberately sold something, I tend to reject it more than if I found it myself.

it seems like pandering to the american masses. it is, too.

nothing against stann. you can just tell that he's the perfect representative for the american military. he's not some sociopathic shitbag, but he's a true patriot and supposedly a very good soldier. i'll bet anything that he hates dealing with the same old shit for every fight, but he does it anyway because it's a part of the promotion.

when something is shoved down your throat, it's gonna taste like shit, regardless.

Goldie is the worst when it comes to this, Stann, Randy, and recently Colten Smith.

I like Stann and his story never bothered me. The bitxhing was at it's peak leading up tot he Sakara fight. People always need something to piss and moan about.

and i don't think Christians are repressed, yet many of them exclaim daily that they are. the world is full of lots of opinions TS. you won't agree with all of em.

but there IS a sign of trouble if you have an utter inability to understand. if you're incapable of playing devil's advocate. if you disagree with them, cool, but if you really don't "get it", then i suggest the problem lies with you.

People on the internet like to bitch TS. Stann isn't the only one that is criticized unfairly for ridiculous shit.

and i don't get how Christians feel repressed.

I don't know if 'repressed' is the right word but they are undoubtedly treated unfairly. Talking shit about them and their religion is becoming increasingly popular on the internet.

Goldberg mentions it a lot during the fights while it's not relevant at all, but Stann doesn't brag about it at all. Plenty of MMA guys have a military background, but the only one that can get obnoxious about it is Tim Kennedy, not Stann.

If you don't get why real life war stories and marketing shouldn't mix...

No point in trying to understand irrational people who think of him as some sort of dime-a-dozen individual. I hardly understand the desire to join the military, but even I can understand that the man is a true inspiration, and a warrior.

People on the internet like to bitch TS. Stann isn't the only one that is criticized unfairly for ridiculous shit.

Apparently you lack a reading and comprehension skill set. Otherwise you would have picked up on the fact that the majority of critics aren't criticizing Stann, but rather the UFC hype machine.

You also might have realized that there are a handful of other fighter's who are not being criticized, but rather their own respective hype machine which is a direct manufacture by the UFC and not the fighter.

Who will save the poor, trod upon, kicked about, defenceless US military and servicemen? I'd say people expressing their opinions about a government military organization being advertised on television as though it was a soft drink isn't all that beyond the pale.

Apparently you lack a reading and comprehension skill set. Otherwise you would have picked up on the fact that the majority of critics aren't criticizing Stann, but rather the UFC hype machine.

Apparently you lack reading comprehension as I was blatantly addressing the OP. My mistake for misspeaking Stann when I (quite clearly) meant UFC's marketing of Stann but surely anyone with a third grade skill set could have picked up on that given then context of this thread.

Back