I don't feel like Nick Diaz has a competitive chance against Anderson Silva because..

PrincesaZelda

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
of the GSP fight.

"[The strategy] was to stay in a kickboxing range," St-Pierre said. "Stay out of a boxing range and use my karate to get in and out."

I remember how easily Georges was able to out-strike Diaz by using kickboxing, which is basically how Anderson Silva fights by default. It's hard to imagine that Anderson Silva's kickboxing will be less effective at neutralizing Nick Diaz's boxing than GSPs.

Anyone else feel the same way?

I seem to remember GSP mostly shooting for takedowns getting Nick down and holding him down, with Nick giving up his back every round and GSP preferring not to take Nicks back for some strange reason.

I don't recall GSP easily out-striking Diaz.

I recall GSP easily out-grappling Diaz.

In a way i do, But my opinion is somewhat biased due to silva being the man who got me into the sport, But at the same time there are way too many variables going into this fight, His age, his questionable chin, His leg(which he mentioned hurts to throw kick with in sparring during an interview, though many point out hes a master troll.)
While i hope Silva makes short work of diaz, I stopped blindly assuming he'd win the second he lost to weidman again.

In my honest opinion anythings game at this point.

gsp and silva are different in gameplans and discipline

Anderson doesn't have GSP's takedowns though. Completely different fight.

of the GSP fight.

I remember how easily Georges was able to out-strike Diaz by using kickboxing, which is basically how Anderson Silva fights by default. It's hard to imagine that Anderson Silva's kickboxing will be less effective at neutralizing Nick Diaz's boxing than GSPs.

Yes and I think we are going to see a massive speed advantage right away.

I seem to remember GSP mostly shooting for takedowns getting Nick down and holding him down, with Nick giving up his back every round and GSP preferring not to take Nicks back for some strange reason.

It takes a while for 10-9 type MMA fighters to feel comfortable taking the back.
I remember many times when Frankie or MM could have taken their opponent's back, but they didn't, because all they wanted to do was "outstrike" or get a TD (for no reason). They added more weapons to their arsenals over time and are both now as good as it gets.

GSP had those weapons too, but he never felt like using them because he had his plan for how to win each round 10-9 and trying to take the back of a turtled fighter was never part of his plan.

Yes and I think we are going to see a massive speed advantage right away.
That's always the thing that strikes me. Anderson is much bigger and stronger. But he's also much faster!

of the GSP fight.

GSP is much faster than Anderson and has takedown threat. Anderson was very slow in the last couple fights. He don't do well leading strikes. Nick will taunt him to throw first and it will look like slow motion to Nick. Nick TKO rd 3

I give Nick maybe a 25% chance of winning and thats prob higher then most.I think it will be a good strike fest and nicks boxing is good.

That's always the thing that strikes me. Anderson is much bigger and stronger. But he's also much faster!

WTF are you talking about. Yes he was faster than Bonnar, Forrest & Leben, but vs MW's or small MW's he is not fast. He looked good vs brawlers. He looked like garbage with his striking in many fights that weren't vs weirdo non strikers

GSP is much faster than Anderson and has takedown threat. Anderson was very slow in the last couple fights. He don't do well leading strikes. Nick will taunt him to throw first and it will look like slow motion to Nick. Nick TKO rd 3

Gsp is much faster than Anderson? I must've never noticed that.

I would think that a Diaz fan would be hopeful given the nature of the fight.

1. Anderson is 39 years old and coming off of two fights where he was knocked down, knocked out, and had his leg broken.
2. 39 year olds are not known for their cardio.
3. Diaz has amazing cardio and doesn't get finished almost ever.
4. This will be a 5 round fight.
5. Silva's strength will not totally neutralize Diaz's strengths (swarming, combination punching)

So Silva will be in a fight with a fighter who is younger, has better cardio, and is hard to finish. Can Silva out strike Diaz for 5 rounds? Can he hobble him with leg kicks? Can he finish him? The old Anderson could potentially do all of those things. 39 year old Anderson who got the shit kicked out of him two fights in a row might not be able to. I guess it's a good thing for Anderson that Diaz has been out for almost two years. I don't think that will mean much for Diaz's cardio, but maybe he won't be so sharp on the feet.

In a way i do, But my opinion is somewhat biased due to silva being the man who got me into the sport, But at the same time there are way too many variables going into this fight, His age, his questionable chin, His leg(which he mentioned hurts to throw kick with in sparring during an interview, though many point out hes a master troll.)
While i hope Silva makes short work of diaz, I stopped blindly assuming he'd win the second he lost to weidman again.

In my honest opinion anythings game at this point.

I second this... Silva is my boy but sadly it wouldn't suprise me at all if the Diaz pressure will create a crazy upset. Now that the "aura" is gone (thanks Weidman) Diaz-- a confident fighter anyway- will have no reservations at all. That said i'm picking Anderson 1st round brutal TKO after some of the most memorable taunting/ matrixing/ opponent disrespecting ever. Is normal

of the GSP fight.

I remember GSP grappling with Diaz a lot... And even the threat of a TD factors exponentially into your opponents striking... Most of us agree that Anderson is not going to spam TDs, so this should be a fairly straight forward kickboxing match

I still think Anderson will win, but it makes no sense to compare Anderson to GSP in this context

Well then you are forgetting a good bit.Like how GSP outstruck Diaz pretty much easily the entire fight.

As fast as Anderson is (or was), people tend to overrate his speed versus Diaz but overlook the fact that Diaz is a welterweight, and by default most welterweights would be faster than most middleweights, and Silva only looked as fast as he did when he was fighting big middleweights or lightheavyweights.

Of course Nick Diaz has a chance. It all depends on Anderson. Most likely a prime Anderson destroys Diaz in the first round, and that very well may be what happens, but at the same time I could see Diaz winning a hard-fought decision. Both guys are very dangerous and we don't know what Anderson's going to look like after losing two fights in a row, one by brutal knockout and one by brutal leg break, as well as being pretty old for a fighter.

And Nick Diaz IS an elite fighter. He's a great athlete with awesome boxing, good submissions and grappling, a granite chin and knockout power, you can't count him out of this fight.

I still think Anderson will most likely win, maybe even easily, but I could definitely see Diaz winning.

I know Diaz is dangerous and can finish anybody, but if Diaz does win, for some reason I see him winning by decision and bloodying Silva up bad in the later rounds with his boxing. Definitely wouldn't bet on it though.

I don't recall GSP easily out-striking Diaz.

I recall GSP easily out-grappling Diaz.

Diaz must have been high the first round because he just turtled up and let GSP lay on him. It was really weird.

If Diaz rides the Condit Bicycle the first two rounds and survives he can make it 5 rounds. His biggest enemy will be Anderson's Knees and the Clinch.

Back