I Don’t See How Ferguson Stops the Takedown

Elbows possibly a cut, sub, tire Khabib and turn the tide in latter rounds. Tony underdog but one with tenacity and versatility that could finagle an upset. Doubt it but think Tony’s chances better than Dustin and others who faced Khabib.

Tony will get mounted in the first round..mark my words..he is fairly weak and relies a lot on his opponnts fading.
Khabib's stocky build is made for guys like tony, who don't carry that much power, khabib will easily control his wrists and his legs, as we have seen him do it to all his oppents.
If kevin lee can do it...

View attachment 728433

None of your pics show Khabib in mount. Why is that? Because he's incapable? No. Because he prefers to work from half guard, or at most moving to side control (but only against the cage for side control).

Claiming Tony will get mounted is showing a lack of understanding of both fighters. Khabib may advance to a position he likes but it's doubtful that's full mount.

Tony is Tony because of his unpredictability and his general crazyness but really, skill wise, there is nothing he could do that Khabib has not already seen. Stop drinking every words of Joe Rogan.

His reply was accurate though. The cans that Khabib beat in Russia are eons below Tony at every facet of MMA. To dispute that is ridiculous. And that's all the guy you quoted was saying in response to an idiotic post.

Khabib plays it way too safe for tony to submit or hurt him from below. Most likely khabib finishes him or wins by decision

He doesn't have to stop every takedown to win.

Tony is not just a striker.

He won't make it easy for Khabib on the ground.

Great fight that should have happened years ago but I don’t get the logic behind people seeing Tony winning. I don’t think he stops the takedowns at all and will just look like another typical Khabib victory. People who are picking Ferguson, what are his routes of winning other than something unexpected?
Taking someone down is one thing controlling that person is another.....it is the frantic pace that will wear Khabib down....Tony by Tko/sub round 4 or 5 ...I stand by it and will bump al my thread responses on the subject

Khabib only goes for takedowns against the cage so just press forward like Poirier was doing but don't gas out doing it
No he doesn't only go for takedowns against the cage. His opponents usually back themselves up against the cage. He'd be happy to take them down and maul them in the center of the cage.

Like others have said, the fact that tony knows he can’t stop the takedown and isn’t afraid of being taken down is an absolute game changer when fighting Khabib.

Khabib wears you out by making you expend all of your energy trying to get back to your feet, he also does most of his damage with ground and pound when his opponents are using an arm as a post to try and stand backup.

If tony goes for a submission instead of trying to get back up, and gets Khabib in his guard where he doesn’t take as much damage but can still threaten with subs and elbows off of his back then Khabib might get discouraged from looking for the TD so consistently. If the fight gets to that point, I expect tony to take over. He won’t be afraid to commit to strikes or try to damage Khabib on the feet, because he won’t be scared to get taken down.

If Khabib wins, it will be by decision. Meanwhile tony has many different options to win this fight, as well as having as good or even better ( arguably ) cardio than Khabib. That makes this fight very hard to predict.

That's the most stupid thing i've ever heard from people. Spreading the narrative that Tony is not afraid to be taken down by Khabib.
Why is he training without the cage? :D
He wants to control the centre and not getting taken down against the cage.
We have seen Tony panicked when he was mounted against Lee. He was trying to get up when he was mounted.

Tony will not stay on the ground and will try to get up.
let's say for the sake of the stupid argument that Khabib takes him down and shuts all his tools he got from the bottom out.
Do you really think he want to be the next time there? you really think he is not trying to get up?

Khabib forces him to choose to try to get up.Because if he is willing to stay on the ground the ground and pound will start.
Tony has 2 options. Stay on the ground and get smashed in the face or the second option to try to get up and dry your energy.
You guys don't understand the gameplan of Khabib. he is playing with your mind with his gameplan and forces you to 2 choices. Tony will chose 1 and both options will have the same result.

His reply was accurate though. The cans that Khabib beat in Russia are eons below Tony at every facet of MMA. To dispute that is ridiculous. And that's all the guy you quoted was saying in response to an idiotic post.

I am not saying that Tony is not good, but jeez can you like a guy without discrediting the the other too ? Khabib may have faced cans ealier but you know what ? Even cans win sometimes. Khabib being that good never seemed to cross people's minds ?

Khabib and Abdulmanap are taking Tony very seriously in the training and preparation. Khabib is human and has flaws. He can bleed like any other man and will be tested in this fight. Khabib might win but he'll face some adversity and probably more than he ever has before.

I am not saying that Tony is not good, but jeez can you like a guy without discrediting the the other too ? Khabib may have faced cans ealier but you know what ? Even cans win sometimes. Khabib being that good never seemed to cross people's minds ?

But that guy wasn't saying that Khabib isn't good. What he was saying is that the cans that Khabib beat in Russia aren't on Tony's level. Not that Khabib himself isn't. Everyone knows that Khabis is good. That doesn't mean the scrubs he beat in Russia are also good. Those were squash matches (mostly) between an elite prospect at the time in Khabib, and (again mostly) guys who shouldn't have been in the cage with him.

The other poster actually claimed that these Russian cans were more accomplished MMA grapplers than Tony f'ing Ferguson, a guy who's been fighting top tier talent and winning for almost a decade.

Well, some people expect Tony to do something from his back - i've heard people say he's super dangerous from there and i've heard others say that he's not as dangerous from there as some make it out to be. Personally i really don't know how dangerous he's from there exactly, but considering what an instinctive and slick guy Ferguson is, his submission skills might come in handy in this fight.

Could you do same huuuge breakdown of this fight as you did with Jones - Reyes fight?

But that guy wasn't saying that Khabib isn't good. What he was saying is that the cans that Khabib beat in Russia aren't on Tony's level. Not that Khabib himself isn't. Everyone knows that Khabis is good. That doesn't mean the scrubs he beat in Russia are also good. Those were squash matches (mostly) between an elite prospect at the time in Khabib, and (again mostly) guys who shouldn't have been in the cage with him.

The other poster actually claimed that these Russian cans were more accomplished MMA grapplers than Tony f'ing Ferguson, a guy who's been fighting top tier talent and winning for almost a decade.

I wouldnt say the guys Khabib fought were better than Fergie, I get what you mean. I should get less carried away to reply ha ha. But we can also agree that Khabib makes everyone looks like amateurs, knowing that, it's hard to compare. You can be a really good, competent grappler and look like shit in front of Khabib. Khabib fought some cans I understand, but MMA was also only allowed 10 years ago. Tony ferguson also fought his fair share of cans, let's bring context back into the argument. I don't think it's fair to bring back fights that happened ten years ago, or even five.

None of your pics show Khabib in mount. Why is that? Because he's incapable? No. Because he prefers to work from half guard, or at most moving to side control (but only against the cage for side control).

Claiming Tony will get mounted is showing a lack of understanding of both fighters. Khabib may advance to a position he likes but it's doubtful that's full mount.
What's your point? Half mount or full mount ...doesn't matter, Tony won't have any space. I don't understand the game?
Ok little boy, April is just around the corner.

I wouldnt say the guys Khabib fought were better than Fergie, I get what you mean. I should get less carried away to reply ha ha. But we can also agree that Khabib makes everyone looks like amateurs, knowing that, it's hard to compare. You can be a really good, competent grappler and look like shit in front of Khabib. Khabib fought some cans I understand, but MMA was also only allowed 10 years ago. Tony ferguson also fought his fair share of cans, let's bring context back into the argument. I don't think it's fair to bring back fights that happened ten years ago, or even five.

No but again, if you read back through the thread, it was one guy who said out of the blue that guys that Khabib beat in Russia were better than Ferguson. And then the guy that you quoted replied to that. Nobody came out originally saying that Khabib beat only bums and tried to criticize him. It was actually the first guy taking a shot at Tony that started the exchange.

Great fight that should have happened years ago but I don’t get the logic behind people seeing Tony winning. I don’t think he stops the takedowns at all and will just look like another typical Khabib victory. People who are picking Ferguson, what are his routes of winning other than something unexpected?

Ferguson is much much better than anyone else from his back. He takes little damage and is very dangerous. He doesnt have to stop all the takedowns. He can exhaust his opponents a lot more even when they are on top and the later in the fight the better his td gets because of his abnormal gastank.

What's your point? Half mount or full mount ...doesn't matter, Tony won't have any space. I don't understand the game?
Ok little boy, April is just around the corner.

Little boy? I actually fought and cornered guys, I highly doubt you have.

You said and I quote "Tony will be mounted in round 1". Anyone who knows the sport even a little knows that someone "being mounted" refers to having the opponent get full mount. You are using the phrase "half mount" which doesn't even exist...yet I'm supposed to take you seriously?

Go get your shine box little fella, you're clearly in over your head here.

I just dont think dana wants Tony as his champion. With the mental issues it's a real risk having his as one of the faces of the company imo

He might prefer Tony to win because Tony wont refuse Conor a TS

Last edited:
If Tony welcomes the takedown, he will lose for sure.

His best route to victory is keeping it standing at a distance

Back