i didn't realize..shogun is 5-5 in the ufc

C0NCH3TO

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
i checked his record on wiki and it looked like a chess board .....
if he drops his next fight and leaves for good, what would think about his career overall?
obviously he did not have a stellar career in the ufc, or at least nowhere near as good as many people thought it would be...

Injuries prevented him from being the all time best. Still, he was able to win the lhw title and lost to only great to elite fighters in the UFC.

Yeah but really he should be 6-3-1

Shouldve beat Lyoto and draw against Hendo

I think he should be fighting at 185, and could have been doing it his entire career.

He's probably got the best 5-5 record in the UFC someone could want. A title win, a robbery vs. Machida, some avenged losses, and an epic fight with Hendo that had people arguing for a while.

He's probably got the best 5-5 record in the UFC someone could want. A title win, a robbery vs. Machida, some avenged losses, and an epic fight with Hendo that had people arguing for a while.

This.

he's had a few sloppy fights, after 3 knee surgeries it's not surprising..

Elite fighters have winning records due to their early career where they wipe the floor with low tier fighters. Other than a few freaks like Silva or GSP, the best fighters win about half of their fights because they're fighting other top tier fighters every single time. Unless they don't have any competition available, like JDS's gimme win against Mir or many of GSPs fights, like Hardy.

Not really....''it should have'' is irrelevant imo. The first fight with Machida was a toss up , i saw him winning but a fight that close doesn't have a clear cut winner.
Henderson beat him savagely for 15 minutes. No complain about that.

Draw against Hendo? Hendo hit shogun with everything but the kitchen sink in that fight.

obviously he did not have a stellar career in the ufc, or at least nowhere near as good as many people thought it would be...

Well true because everyone thought he was going to run shit like Anderson Silva when he first arrived in the UFC. But still, he did win the title and he took it from a guy who at the time everyone viewed as unbeatable. What's more is everyone was already writing Shogun off saying he was done as a top fighter when it happened.

I think part of his problem now is that the game has evolved more and larger/lankier fighters are populating the division. I think his frame belongs at 185, but hell I guess I have no way of knowing

People need to learn what a robbery is. That wasn't one.

The worse thing about the 5-5 is he had one of the easiest roads to the title. People bitch about Forrest not being good but than they praise Shogun when he struggles with 50 yr old Mark Coleman and KO's Liddell (after three other people did). It's really annoying.

However, I think he proved himself when he did get the shot with the Machida fights.

He's fought only top tier guys in the UFC. He avenged his loss to Forrest, had two close losses (one each to Machida and Hendo) and has some gutsy performances against Gustafsson and Jones. Nothing to be ashamed about. He finished Liddell, finished Machida, finished Griffin... The guy's got a decent resume. Plus we all know his real peak was in Pride.

Should be more disciplined earlier in his career and dropped to MW

Well true because everyone thought he was going to run shit like Anderson Silva when he first arrived in the UFC. But still, he did win the title and he took it from a guy who at the time everyone viewed as unbeatable. What's more is everyone was already writing Shogun off saying he was done as a top fighter when it happened.

I think part of his problem now is that the game has evolved more and larger/lankier fighters are populating the division. I think his frame belongs at 185, but hell I guess I have no way of knowing

true, his biggest accomplishment in the ufc was beating Machida, which was huge at that time. Nobody gave him any chances.
I would hate to see him leaving with a negative record in the ufc. I hope he gets a fight against a mid tier guy and retires. I don't see him doing well again.

Back