I didn't know Barnett was such a beast in his younger years.

milenss

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
According to wiki he took the UFC HW belt by storm, losing only to Pedro Rizzo due to (obviously) inexperience and being very green. Mind you, Barnett later avenged that loss by brutal KO which was added to his highlight reel.

Background : Barnett is from Seattle, Washington and had a troubled childhood. He was heavily disciplined and put into programs for his anger management issues at a young age, often getting into fights, but coped with the anger by participating in athletics. He attended Ballard High School, where he excelled at wrestling, football, and also practiced kickboxing. After seeing UFC 2 as a sophomore in high school, he had decided that he wanted to be a mixed martial arts fighter and began pursuing his goal since then. Barnett had originally attended the University of Montana to play football for the school as a walk-on, but decided to not play the sport for the university. At the recommendation of a classmate, he found a dojo and did not have the money for classes, but offered to do everything involving maintenance and labor in exchange for training.[2]

Ultimate Fighting Championship[edit]
Barnett made his UFC debut at UFC 28 on November 17, 2000 against 6' 10" Gan "The Giant" McGee and Barnett won via TKO in the second round. In his next bout, Barnett was handed his first career defeat at the hands of Brazilian Pedro Rizzo with a highlight-reel knockout in the second round after being caught with a very powerful right hand. He would bounce back and win his next two fights over 7' 0" Dutch kickboxer Semmy Schilt via armbar submission, and then received a submission win in a rematch with Bobby Hoffman. Subsequent to his win over Hoffman, Barnett tested positive for banned substances and was given a warning by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.[4] Barnett was then given a title shot for the UFC Heavyweight Championship against then-champion and future UFC Hall of Famer Randy Couture. He won via TKO after using the ground and pound technique and became the new and youngest-ever UFC Heavyweight Champion. However, after the bout it was revealed that he had again tested positive for banned substances and his title was stripped.[5]

Warmaster should take back his belt.

Warmaster does not age as long as he stays inside the octagon.

If he won it and pissed hot, it was never really "his" belt.

Really excited to have him back in the UFC though, can't wait for his next fight.

That punch that Rizzo landed on Josh.....holy shit! It's still in my top 3 of most brutal KO's in the UFC.

Josh is a boss, though. He's a legit threat to Cain. People will learn....

"Barnett tested positive for banned substances and was given a warning by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.[4] Barnett was then given a title shot"

Times sure were different back then.

There was a h/l on YouTube,that finished up with listing what steroids he got popped for,then said why josh.the guy is a talented fighter,he doesn't need them.anyway I enjoy watching him fight,seems like a good guy to.would have loved to have seen the Lombard incident.

Still a beast.......going to be interesting if, well once he beats Browne and where he fits in the title picture.

"Barnett tested positive for banned substances and was given a warning by the Nevada State Athletic Commission.[4] Barnett was then given a title shot"

Naa not really

He's always been a beast. I've always loved the way he fights.

It's too bad we can't see some of the most dangerous HW's from the past, like Rizzo, Rodriguez and Arlovski, in their prime against the top HW's today. At least we can with Barnett since he's about the only one who's stayed consistently on top of his game up until now.

I'm a big Warmaster fan, but if you see how he was tooled by Cormier you know de belt is out of reach. I don't see him beating DC or Cain, the rest he can beat though. JDS of course being tricky but his style might suit Barnett.

I've always loved watching Barnett fight. Shame the Fedor fight never happened.

Didn't josh break his hand in the first round of that fight?

Ben Rothwell just tested positive for elevated testosterone and just got a warning.

I'm a big Warmaster fan, but if you see how he was tooled by Cormier you know de belt is out of reach. I don't see him beating DC or Cain, the rest he can beat though. JDS of course being tricky but his style might suit Barnett.

He had a broken hand.

Ben Rothwell just tested positive for elevated testosterone and just got a warning.

The UFC suspended him for 9 months. The commission just gave the warning, but the UFC shelved him. They also aren't giving him a title shot.

Back