I could never be a telemarketer, it's such a tough job.

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Alphaboy, Nov 5, 2020.

1. Alphaboy Silver Belt

I could never be a telemarketer, bill collector, etc. I have absolutely no patience when dealing with assholes.

Although they're annoying, I give them props for being able to do that type of job. It's a pain in the ass enough dealing with people, let alone random people or folks who are avoiding you.

I have a job where we set up all sorts of programs. Due to the whole "Chinuh virus" we have been doing things virtually, almost exclusively through zoom. People sign up for our (free) programs and we send them a zoom link.

Problem is, for whatever reason most e-mails think it's spam and people don't know to check their spam folders; they end up thinking we never sent them anything. So we decide to call families one by one to let them know.

Most of the calls were okay, or went to voicemail. Generally, when I call, people are initially defensive or tell me "I don't have time, what you need?!!" until they realize who I am and they sort of soften up.

today I called a lady:

> Hi, I'm Alphaboy calling from xyz company... am I speaking to---

>> (pissed off sounding) I gotta go to court soon, hurry up make it quick! What do you want?

> I want to know if you'll be attending our progra--

>> Y'all never sent me anything!

> (While trying to maintain professionalism, my voice took on that annoyed, segmented tone). Yes. That. Is. Why. I. Am. Calling. You. To. Let. You. Know. Tha--

>> I gotta go to court just gimme the information!!!

> Aight... I'll call you back... *I leave*

I'm not in sales, folks sign up for us. Sometimes they forget or sometimes they have a change of heart, but generally they're ecstatic when they realize we're not some bill collectors or something.

Has anyone ever done a sales job, telemarketer or something? I can imagine how frustrating that can be if I run into shit from people who actually came to us (although admittedly it's rare).

revoltub likes this.
  2. fungi rl

Soul crushing

revoltub likes this.
  3. Alphaboy Silver Belt

I imagine like anything else though one becomes desensitized to it.

-Magua- and KeepingItReal like this.
  4. TapSnapBreak Fossil Griffin Belt

Those people are so annoying and persistent but hey someone's gotta do that job

revoltub and Alphaboy like this.
  5. fungi rl

To a certain extent. However our nervous system can only take that much abuse. After that it breaks down.

Alphaboy likes this.
  6. Alphaboy Silver Belt

I generally don't pick up numbers I don't know, but I realize it's just their job.

The only time I get annoyed is from this one company that's been spoof calling me for several years.
    they use the caller ID of someone on my list somehow to trick me into picking up

TapSnapBreak likes this.
  7. revoltub Gold Card

Yeah for 1 week.

I went in thinking its gonna be like in the movies where you use your charm to get sales and then high five the guys while wearing suspenders.

In reality you had to read a strict script. It even had different things you had to say exactly if a certain question was asked. You could never diverge from the script and if you did the sale was cancelled. You weren't really having a conversation with the people, and you were basically a human version of the "the cow goes...." Children's toy.

Also the whole system was to trick people into paying for subscriptions that they would forget about and then wed bill them. Sort of like how they give you free trials of netflix or whatever and then after you forget about it you realize you had to cancel it because they keep charging you.

Alphaboy likes this.
  8. TapSnapBreak Fossil Griffin Belt

lol when u get those calls that say
    "scam likely" yea sure like I'ma pick up .
    I block all those numbers

Alphaboy likes this.
  9. Alphaboy Silver Belt

In which case does it matter what type of person is hired if there was little room for individual personality to come through?

And did it suck dealing with people who didn't wanna be bothered?

revoltub likes this.
  10. revoltub Gold Card

Some kind of personality was preffered but it was more about your voice and how you could portray the script to the person you called. Kind of like acting. The one guy who interviewed before me didnt get the job because he spoke super monotone and robotic.

Yes absolutely. I have pretty thick skin though. The worst was when you'd get people who previously requested to be taken off the list and take years of built up frustration out on you. More than that was the guilt I felt selling shit to someone like a puppet.

Alphaboy likes this.
  11. fingercuffs VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT Platinum Member

I made a really good living out of cold calling, albeit years ago. Started out toner cartridge selling to getting repeat business then ended up in corporate IT account management..from cold calling.

I reckon I could probably do it again what with the accent.

fungi and Alphaboy like this.
  12. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

I once picked up a call that was for someone else at work, but the caller insisted I was that person.

HIM: Is this So-and-So?
    ME: Oh, he's not here. Would you like to leave a message or can I help you?
    HIM: He's not here?
    ME (wtf?): .... yeah.
    HIM: You're not him?
    ME: No...
    HIM: Are you sure? I think you know who this is and why I'm calling.
    ME:
    [​IMG]
    He was a bill collector, and yeah he was really good at getting under your skin.

Alphaboy likes this.
  13. Alphaboy Silver Belt

Lmao. I ran into those types before too. They sounded like they'd personally come to my house and kick my ass (not even on company time) if I didn't pay.

14. Alphaboy Silver Belt

Fingercuffs: G'day to ya!

Customer: Wait, don't hang up yet...

fungi likes this.
  15. fingercuffs VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT Platinum Member

Tell you something @Alphaboy
    It’s funny now that I get Indian call center calls all day and I’m now the gate keeper. So I do try and sympathies with them and not be a dick...unless they’re a dick.

Alphaboy likes this.
  16. A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

Well it fucking worked on me! I ain't fallin down no stairs on purpose OR on accident.

[​IMG]

Alphaboy likes this.
  17. fingercuffs VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT Platinum Member

My first week here, some guy who cold called really wanted some if you know what I mean. Like been on the phone for a minute and was asking for my Instagram and Facebook stuff and how he could reach me. As far as he knew I could be a fat whale...people are strange. I politely said no to very thing and hung up.

Alphaboy likes this.
  18. puppybird the wasteland champ

The good ones are charming, brilliant and considerably richer than yau

KeepingItReal likes this.
  19. Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

Did you ever use the word "bollocks" during a sales pitch?

Alphaboy likes this.
  20. Rhood Gold Belt

Back in the day (20 years ago) they used to be sneaky in ways they would present themselves in classified ads.

Most of them would say Call Center - Hiring all positions or Customer Support and then when you get to the interview, they would tell you it's all cold calling.