I consider Rory MacDonald the uncrowned WW king

Man, he got beat twice by Lawler. And even more decisively in the second fight. I don't really understand the whole betting favorite logic. Rory has potential but it hasn't been reached yet at WW. Make a thread crowning him the champion when he's actually won.

In fact, Rory is Lawler's only real decisive victory as champion.

Rory is my favorite fighter, but those losses are legitimate. I do believe sort of he is the uncrowned king at WW, I believe this is his division to rule over. Robbie was just to fuckin tough that night, but Rory will be champ. Sooner then some people think, he is to fucking good not to ever touch that belt.

#THEWATERBOY #ARES #REDKING #RORYMAC

McFlurry.gif

rory-macdonald-ufc-189-nose1.jpg

I did this same thing when we switched to the new place. Now there's only 1 on it.

Nice. I just have 2 on mine now. Those guys are non-negotiable. I wish there was just a temporary ignore list for like two weeks.

His only losses where against Condit and Lawler and he dominated all 3 fights until he got cought. In my eyes, he is technically undefeated.

Rory has never been an underdog in the UFC and would still be the favorite against Condit and Lawler if they ever fight again.

Actually, Rory would be the favorie against any current welterweight because he would beat any of them most of the time. Therefore, he is the best.

It doesn't matter who has the belt, we all know The Red King is one of the uncrowned ones along with Aldo, Khabib, Anderson, Jones and Cain.

1e6a617df9fcb2e879301c92f9713b0d_crop_north.jpg
You're delusional.

Nice. I just have 2 on mine now. Those guys are non-negotiable. I wish there was just a temporary ignore list for like two weeks.

I agree with that. It's easy to forget here when the list is loaded up. Even when someone quotes someone you've ignored you don't see it. It's nice but a probationary list might be good too. :)

Last edited:
Yeah, let's just ignore Lawler looks like a bar room brawler compared to Rory from a technical standpoint. One can only get so far with just heart.

Yeah, let's just ignore Lawler looked like a champion who
  • was fighting in the UFC (while they were relatively paying fighters peanuts)
  • went on to fight around the world in orgs like Pride, Icon, Elite XC, and Strikeforce
  • has almost double the number of fights than the Red King

One can only get so far with just technique.

Rory did not "get caught." Robbie Lawler caved his face in.

Footage of Rory making Robbie look like a bar room brawler:

Nose%2BBreak%2BStoppage%2BRobbie%2BLawler%2Bvs%2BConor%2BMcGregor%2BUFC%2B189.gif

Last edited:
If not for Lawler there's a good chance he'd have won the belt at some point.

There already was a great chance, Rory was extremely close to beat him. Based on their two fights against each other it is easier to argue Lawler is likely the better fighter in long run, but no-one knows for sure. They seem to be so competitive Im not sure even 100 fights would tell a clear difference between the two. But thats just the nature of this sport, winners get all the praise while close seconds are considered worse fighters, even when there is a real possibility it can be the other way around in physical reality. Long run underdogs win all the time.

Lawler, the crowned king, stopped him.
Condit, the uncrowned king, stopped him.

Condit is the only person deserving of that moniker, because he got robbed of the title.

He has the talent to be the 170 king, but the heart just isn't there. All that has to happen is to have guys like Lawler and Condit turn up the heat and have a good flurry of offense and Mac folds and looks for a way out.

Man, I think Rory's got heart for days.

IMO, he just hasn't found his 'specialty' yet. He hasn't found 'the thing' that confounds and frustrates everybody else. He's almost TOO well rounded.

GSP had the jab, TD and top control from hell.

What is Rory's thing?

Just a momentary pet theory, though. Haven't given it a lot of thought.

He's still the real champ to you, dammit?

I don't like the fact you made this thread, I'm a bigger Rory fan than anyone and I think he has the tools to beat any welterweight on the right night.

But he lost those fights fair and square, I don't want this thread to inspire the ridiculous Rory hate that used to be around.

Yeah, let's just ignore Lawler looks like a bar room brawler compared to Rory from a technical standpoint. One can only get so far with just heart.

If you think Lawler looks like a barroom brawler .. Well, I don't know. Try looking at his feet instead of his upper body. Dude has skills for real.

It doesn't count. Rory was already injured and could no longer breathe.
Getting finished in brutal fashion does count, and he couldn't breathe because he'd got his shit pushed in.

"technically undefeated"... lmao

Back