I challenge you to be selfless.

Why doesn't anyone ever just challenge me to sit on the couch eating a bowl of ice cream? Depending on the size of the bowl, it could be challenging.

A lame excuse to justify their needless spending and their "fashion fetish" why give away gis? gis are used until they are completely destroyed, why do Americans think they need to buy the next gi because it has a different set of patches or because its the "newest". Why not instead use your gi until it destroys itself and then buy 3-5 NEW good quality gis for people who actually need one for the price of one new "fashion gi"?

I never gave away anything used in my life, i bought NEW things or gave money charity, of course i use my stuff until they are no longer usable, my shirts until they have holes, my gis until they completely rip etc etc.

That's like giving someone your food scraps because you are full and throwing food its a crime..

You're really overthinking this. There is nothing wrong with passing along something that is used and calling them "scraps" is just ignorant. I used to wear my brother's old clothes and my Dad's as well. Did I complain that they were "throwing me scraps?" No, because even as a kid I wasn't a moron. We weren't poor at all and I didn't care. My Dad did the same thing and he grew up in destitute poverty and never thought twice. People get clothes from churches and have for years and if they're hesitant to accept those things then they're not truly in need. If that's the case, there are certainly others who are in need and would jump at the chance to get a gi so they could train.

Would I prefer a new BMW to one with 10,000 miles on it? Sure. Would I be grateful to someone who is kind enough to offer me either? Yes.

Last edited:
1) Why so fucking aggresive?

7) Next time try being less sensitive, third world countries are not filled with animals that need help, they are filled with people too, try treating them like one. What you are doing is great, but it will fall short and won't be able to grow.

It is common pratice for BJJ people to help in social project in Brazil.
Even Kyra paid from her own pocket to support her project.

see another thread about it.

GB has a policy about sending old gi back to Brasil.

Giving some old GI is no big deal.

My team mate is from a school back in Brasil that supports such program.

Haters gonna hate. I'd been growing more frustrated with increasing negativity, but everything is going well. :)

Back to positivity.

What we've collected:
61896_436986777609_590847609_5914896_1462254_n.jpg

Alan "Finfou" do Nascimento's message to everyone in response:
Hi everybody
Im ALAN DO NASCIMENTO "FINFOU" and Im one of the responsible Of the BJJ PROJECT VB TEM CANTAGALO.
and on behalf of all students, teachers and families of the Project. I want to thank you for your help.
This year my younger brother died, and trained before it too, but he did not have incentive programs then started selling drugs and was murdered on my birthday.
This is just another case of students who missed the Project .. this happens all the time.
But with this help we can prevent what happened to my brother, can ever happen to other students of the Project.
Maybe someone can think that only a GI is not enough, but when you have nothing, any help already becomes a great incentive programs.
making poses you occupy your mind by practicing sport and I believe that BJJ has changed my life, surely you can change the lives of many other children in her project.
Thank yoou very much my friend
God bless you, your home, your gym, your family
take care
VB TEAM CANTAGALO!

you have specified you want to make this big, you won't get far under said model, if you want to make it big look at creating a NGO, isnt that project already an NGO? have you looked for bussiness in Brazil wanting to get tax cuts? specially gi making bussinesses who would love to cut taxes with gis like microsoft does with software?.

It has to start somewhere man. First the moon and then the stars.

What you are doing is great, but it will fall short and won't be able to grow.

Don't be so negative. Like she has said, she wants it to grow and this is a good place to start. From little acorns, greats oaks will grow.

Oh and Hillary, you're being childish, stroppy and negative in response to some reasonable comments. If you do want this to grow then you too will need to grow, and a thicker skin is part of that.

There is no point in me sending a Gi from Ireland but if you do decide to accept a paypal donation so you can buy a few kids Gi's over there (America or Brasil), then please let me know and i will gladly donate (the exchange rate is in my favour which is nice).

Oh and Hillary, you're being childish, stroppy and negative in response to some reasonable comments. If you do want this to grow then you too will need to grow, and a thicker skin is part of that.

I used three, count-em, three cuss word in response to several long posts of attack because the guy doesn't like the way American's spend money. The rest of my childishness was the reader's interpretation of internet posts. I'm not trying to make a worldwide charity. I'm just a college student trying to do something nice. That's it.

Rod1 - if I want to but a new gi, I can fucking go buy a new gi because I want to. I dot have to wear it until it wears out. I can hang it on the wall for a keepsake or leave it in my closet and only wear it on my birthday if I want.

You don't get go decide how people spend their money just because you grew up under different circumstances and think your way of saving and spending habits is more noble than mine.

Quit being a douchenozzle and let people donate to those in need with items they can let go of with little indifference. I had not worn the gi I donated in 8+ months due to dropping 40 lbs and it being to big and being given 2 newer gi's as gifts I wear now instead. So now I should be talked down to because I didn't wear it until it fell apart?

Do I need to be talked down to because I don't wear shirts with holes in them? Just get the fuck over yourself.

I'm just a college student trying to do something nice. That's it.

Fair play and good luck. You came across very well on the fightworks podcast this week too. Let me know about the paypal if things change on that side of things. :D

No more arguments please. This is a good thing we're doing, doesn't need negativity anymore.

Read this. :)

Once upon a time, there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.

One day, as he was walking along the shore, he looked down the beach and saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself at the thought of someone who would dance to the day, and so, he walked faster to catch up.

As he got closer, he noticed that the figure was that of a young man, and that what he was doing was not dancing at all. The young man was reaching down to the shore, picking up small objects, and throwing them into the ocean.

He came closer still and called out "Good morning! May I ask what it is that you are doing?"

The young man paused, looked up, and replied "Throwing starfish into the ocean."

"I must ask, then, why are you throwing starfish into the ocean?" asked the somewhat startled wise man.

To this, the young man replied, "The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll die."

Upon hearing this, the wise man commented, "But, young man, do you not realize that there are miles and miles of beach and there are starfish all along every mile? You can't possibly make a difference!"

At this, the young man bent down, picked up yet another starfish, and threw it into the ocean. As it met the water, he said, "It made a difference for that one."

I think of this every time I hear someone hating on someone who is trying to do good. The cool part about charity is that you can simply not donate if you don't like/believe in the cause.

That said, I have only one gi at the moment and just bought 3 for my kids who started in the kids classes. When the smallest grows out of it I'll hit you up and see if you are still collecting.

Actually, I am not too sure on that one.

My post wasn't directed to you. It was directed to Heavy Grappler. I don't even know why you would think it has anything to do with you?

Got something on your mind homie?

Last edited:
I used to work for a non-profit planting trees in Detroit, and we'd spend summers maintaining them, watering them . . .

People would ask us all the time what we were doing, and one day a guy pulls up in a car, asks who we're with and all that. "Trees?!" he replied. "Man, this city needs houses, not any more fucking trees! You guys should be building houses!"

"Houses are a great idea," I reply. "You build houses?"

"No. I'm just saying, though."

Houses. Trees. Gis. The world needs all of it. And nothing -- NOTHING -- is more pathetic than driving around all day in your car (or sitting at your computer) just bitching about what other people are trying to do.

I used to work for a non-profit planting trees in Detroit, and we'd spend summers maintaining them, watering them . . .

People would ask us all the time what we were doing, and one day a guy pulls up in a car, asks who we're with and all that. "Trees?!" he replied. "Man, this city needs houses, not any more fucking trees! You guys should be building houses!"

"Houses are a great idea," I reply. "You build houses?"

"No. I'm just saying, though."

Houses. Trees. Gis. The world needs all of it. And nothing -- NOTHING -- is more pathetic than driving around all day in your car (or sitting at your computer) just bitching about what other people are trying to do.
Amen brutha!

If you notice, the posters that offer negative comments generally end the post talking about themselves, things they've done and what they think. Its indicative of self righteous asses on the internet that feel the need to force their unwarranted opinion down others' throats. Hillary is not intending to change the world or make this program a full time operation. She is not even intending to do it the most efficient, direct way possible. She is simply using her means and experience within the BJJ community to do something positive that will directly affect the lives of some people. There is nothing wrong with that, and there is absolutely nothing to fault. If there is something you feel could be done better, there is no reason to tear down her already noble intentions in the meantime. Whether you realize it or not, posters like Rod1 are doing just that and coming off very poorly.

In direct response to Rod1, your crossing the line comments about consumerism and defining what is and what is not charity are a testament to the fact that you really enjoy hearing yourself talk. While you went on your rant about using a gi until it is in tatters you neglect any amount of legitimate reasons available for purchasing a new gi. Off the top of my head I can think of many. I use myself as an example, only because it was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. I have gis I plan to donate that are in fine condition (and I own quite a few gis). The reason being that I have outgrown old gis, and recieved gis free from sponsorship. I simply have more than I need and hold no attachment to them. Other than that I can think of a multitude of other reasons for giving away a gi before it is destroyed. For example, some instructors do not allow you to wear torn gis to class. I don't feel the need to make a top ten.

If you can think of a reason to oppose this program, and feel the need to post about it- do us a favor, just don't. You are probably wrong, and the general consensus will be against you. If you cannot accept that this program is doing a good thing, why not just keep it to yourself and be happy in your own smug world. That way others can go about their business and continue to make a positive difference in others' lives, even if it is only through something as insignificant to you as an old, dirty gi.

Please understand that the above paragraph does include future replies about why you are justified about what you said and why you are still right, etc etc etc.*

* If there was a written word for making a fart sound with your mouth and giving a thumbs down I would include that after the third etc.

Hey Hillary,

I been meaning to send out that gi to ya, I see alot of people wanna send their starter gi's. Thats cool, but I still use mine actually, and plan to eventually let my son use it. (if its not torn up by then)

I have a friend who works for customs. He said that NEW gis would be an issue, and if I have letters from the projetos (due to response, looking like we'll be able to help several!), no issues.

Generally speaking, if you are donating goods over international borders (even via personal baggage) to a local non-profit/NGO, the US side organization/donor should itemize the value of the goods, marked down for depreciation for usage (50%, let's say). This should go into a letter clearly stating that this is a donation of collected goods destined for the local charitable organization with zero dutiable value.

The letter could be on Westside MMA letterhead and should include the name of the carrier. The carrier should have the letter with him for when he clears customs, just in case. While it's not extremely commonplace, it will become an issue if you do this often enough. I've run into this kind of thing for stuff as cheap and disposable as a bunch of donated scrubs.

You should do this for no other reason than it gives some measure of financial and legal protection to the friend who is actually taking the gis to Brazil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back