I challenge you to be selfless.

Hillary

Brown Belt
Reaction score
On every Jiu Jitsu forum I've been on, once every other month (or so) a thread pops up with "how many gis do you have?" People (myself, unfortunately, included) boast about having 8, 10, and 12 gis. Twelve gis? Really? I train hours and hours a week, but let's be honest. I probably don't need more than four gis, much less 12.

One of the greatest experiences I had on my last Brazil trip was the seminar I taught at the projeto social (community service) gym. We didn't have great mats to roll on, some of the students didn't have gis, and we weren't even indoors--but it was probably my favorite seminar I've taught so far. The students were so enthralled that I came out there just to teach them, and I've never felt like Jiu Jitsu was appreciated as much as it was with those students. For the few hours we were on the mats, no one cared about time, money, problems at home, or anything else. We just did Jiu Jitsu until it was too dark to see.

I was talking to Finfou (Alan do Nascimento) about his projeto in Brazil, in the Cantagalo slum. I met a few students back and forth through Checkmat in Copacabana, but the majority stay in Cantagalo. He told me the students are so dedicated, so hungry to learn, but so many don't train because they don't even have gis.

That's where you come in. I'm not asking you to buy a new gi and ship it out, I'm not asking you to donate your Shoyoroll #7, I'm just asking you to reach out. We all have a "starter gi," and you know what I'm talking about. That gi you used as a white belt and developed a different fashion taste, that gi that shrunk too much in the dryer or the gi that just didn't fit you right, the gi your son grew out of when he turned eight. If you can't donate a gi (understandable), PLEASE talk to your gym, the parents of the kid's programs, or someone you know who might. To you, it means so little. To someone in the projeto, it could mean so much.

I need adult and kid gis, hand-me-downs in good condition are absolutely great. My goal is 30-50 gis, and I plan to take them to Brazil with me the next time I go down. If the deal breaker is having to pay the shipping to my house, well, I'll pay! As well, I hope by now I've earned a reputation of not being someone who would turn around and sell your gis.

I realize this is just one of many projetos, and I realize the task is too grand to be able to get a gi to everyone who is needing them. I hope to help as many as I can and encourage others to do so. Every single person makes a difference. Every single gi will make the life of someone better.

We write daily about how much Jiu Jitsu has given to us, shouldn't we try to give back?

I was just thinking about what to do with my old gameness that shrunk too much. i would love to donate it. When do you want it and how do i get it to you?

Whenever you can, I've got a couple months to plan. I'm going to send them to my gym because I figure it's better than having my home address on the internet. :)

Westside MMA RE: Projeto Cantagalo
1021 Jessie Road, Suite N
Little Rock, AR 72202

Thank you!! The first is always the hardest. :) Let me know if you want me to cover shipping.

I think this is a great project! Good for you! I still on my first "starter gi" but I'll remember your unselfish attitude and try replicate that in the future.

this is exactly what i've been looking for. i've donated fight shorts in the past only to never see the guys again. i'd love to know its going somewhere special.

i have an a3 fuji gi that i love dearly. the only issue is that one of the patches is coming off a bit. if you want to resew it or take it off completely, i can do either. or i can leave it as is and let you decide.

i don't mean to be preachy but jiu-jitsu is such a blessing in my life, i would feel shameful not to pass it on to others.

Count me in, I have 2 decent Gis to donate. This is a great cause and thank you for doing this.

I think my apartment has a couple mix/match jackets and pants around, I'll see what I can dig up.

Once I get my Shoyoroll gi in, I will mail in my "starter gi." I will also bring this up to my instructor tonight and see what I can come up with.

Whenever you can, I've got a couple months to plan. I'm going to send them to my gym because I figure it's better than having my home address on the internet. :)

Westside MMA RE: Projeto Cantagalo
1021 Jessie Road, Suite N
Little Rock, AR 72202

Thank you!! The first is always the hardest. :) Let me know if you want me to cover shipping.

What could possibly go wrong with putting your home address on the internet.

I 've got a couple of gi's that are practically brand new. Just never liked the fit. Been looking for someone to give them to.

I have an A4 keiko I could probably clean up and donate and a hybrid judo/bjj gi think that Leonardo Xavier gave me..that I wore twice like 4 years ago..really good condition. I'll dig though my storage tonight and take a look see. ;)

you truly are a wonderful woman/human being, not many like you around, i train and compete in no gi but if i had a gi it would def be going your way, and i also have many friends who train gi so i will see if i can tell them about this and get a few of em to donate to a good cause.........

ttt for killary

As well, I hope by now I've earned a reputation of not being someone who would turn around and sell your gis.
As I was reading this it never, ever, EVER crossed my mind that you would do this. Then my cynical side perked up and said, "sheesh, I can totally see SOMEONE pulling a scam like that?" "Someone" maybe...but not Killary. I'm down to 2 jackets and 1 pair of pants (need to sew up the knee in another pair of pants) and I use both sets pretty regularly. I'll bring this up at class tonight, however, and I'll see if any of the boys (or girls) have any to donate!! This is such a great idea. I hope you get double the amount you're looking for.

What an awesome idea. I've been saving over the past year to fund a long term trip for myself to go to Brazil to train... Since I'm not going to be working, I was thinking about donating some time to a good charity down there... This seems like exactly what I'm looking for.

I only have two gis right now (and need a third bad) but I'd definitely like to contribute at some point. I'll ask the guys at my gym to get involved and will PM you if I can get any donations.

I have one gi right now which is an A4. I will probably buy an A3 as I get smaller (I'm on a weight loss venture) and I will gladly donate the one I have when I can.

Thanks everyone for the support! Finfou and Rico Vieira extend their HUGE thank you as well. Remember, any gi, any size, patches or not (I'd take patches off just so you can have yours for a future gi), and please talk to the kid's classes at your school to see if parents have any gis their children have grown out of!

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

awesome.

i have an Atama A-4 top that i don't use anymore. i wouldnt mind parting with it.

Hillary, I don't have an extra gi to send, but if you were to raise funds, maybe using something like the chipin website, I would gladly donate to the cause.

I started gi almost three years ago with two gi's. I still only have and use those two gi tops although I did have to get new pants.

I second Throatpoker's recommendation. I could donate a few bucks.

No gis to contribute at present (I'm on my starter plus a Koral Light... though you may yet sell me on another Koral), but a couple ideas. Have you talked to any of the gi manufacturers? They'd be less likely to talk to us, but maybe you could rig something up with some factory seconds or the like, or maybe get some of a discount going if you ever got any cash rolling into the mix for buying new gis?

What about a charity seminar where the entry fee was a new (or reasonably used) gi? Kinda steep, I know, but Demian Maia is $85 pre-reg and $100 at the door, and that's what a new entry level gi (and perhaps roughly what a good used gi) goes for. Maybe you could put together some all-stars when you're on BJJ walkabouts for Projeto Cantagalo seminars.

The irony of this thread popping up, after having finished my meal of canned tuna and canned spinach, while looking for the cheapest gi I could find (in 8 years of practice, I've only been able to afford 1 gi at a time, and I desperately want a second to cut down on laundry costs) is almost too much to bear.

Back