I can't wrap my head around Whittaker's strategy

Yeah, he should of stayed on the outside and let Izzy pick him apart.

It would be the same outcome if they fought again, maybe quicker finish.

Consider this,
If you asked some random "tough guy" off the street to get inside a cage and fight Adesanya, he'd probably go in there and attempt the same thing that Bobby attempted.

.... Lunging hooks and wild over hands.

As someone who considers Whittaker to be a great champion and a fighter with very good fight IQ, how is it possible that with months to prepare, that's what him and his team came up with?

I cannot wrap my head around that or understand at all.

And, he came out immediately in rd 1 fighting like that, so it wasn't some spontaneous adjustment or impulsive decision he just made. Plus, neither Bobby or his team said anything about him going away from the gameplan or not listening so it's fair to assume that was deliberately the gameplan his coaches came up with.

No hate but that has got to be one of the worst game plans in UFC Title Fight History and I don't understand it.

What say you Sherbros...what the fuck? How? Why?!

PS - Not taking anything away from Izzy, while I don't like the dude, he put on a masterclass performance, hats off to him he was spectacular. This is about Whittaker's gameplan though.

It's like people haven't watched Whittaker fight. He's aggressive and uses his jab to enter and throw hard shots. He has a great chin and is a power puncher. Run what brought you there. It's how he's always fought he just lost to an extremely elusive opponent. Israel took some hard shots and gave back harder. Whittaker got KO'd but if it had been some other MW in there they'd have been sleept more than likely.

Everybody in Australia is thinking the same thing.

Probably got his game plan from watching “let me bang bro” Cody.

What you say is right but it doesn't explain why he thought this play would work from the start of the fight.
He's never fought like that before.

Lol that's how he's always fought. The hell you talking about?

What made Whitaker hard to beat was his blitz attack and his strikes from weird angles. Some of those shots were just barely missing Adesanya. Those shots would have hit most MW's, that's why Rob is at the top lol

Lol that's how he's always fought. The hell you talking about?

What made Whitaker hard to beat was his blitz attack and his strikes from weird angles. Some of those shots were just barely missing Adesanya. Those shots would have hit most MW's, that's why Rob is at the top lol
Thats how Whittaker fights lmao

I don't know where this notion of Bobby K coming into fights with individualized and highly intelligent game plans comes from.

He fights the same in basically every fight.

Fighting how you always fight is stupid when your opponent has the perfect counter style to your own.

You didn't see Colby or Usman or weidman fighting Maia how they always fought, aka ground fucking, and that's because they knew they couldn't use their normal gameplan against a guy like Maia.

I can only assume that over confidence that overconfidence in his striking was the reason why Whittaker and his team didn't come in with a different gameplan.

Fighting how you always fight is stupid when your opponent has the perfect counter style to your own.

You didn't see Colby or Usman or weidman fighting Maia how they always fought, aka ground fucking, and that's because they had a good gameplan and new they couldn't use their normal gameplan.

Blitzing a taller better striker is not a bad gameplan especially if you have speed like Whitaker and power. That's how you're suppose to fight a taller guy get inside and try to get out without getting caught.

Wrestling is just not Whiatker's game and Adesanya has decent TDD so it probably was never an option.

So they went with the best gameplan. Some of Whitaker's strikes were actually just barely missing Adesanya. He could have moved around but then what? Izzy had the reach advantage. Adesanya just had his number that night.

Blitzing a taller better striker is not a bad gameplan especially if you have speed like Whitaker and power. That's how you're suppose to fight a taller guy get inside and try to get out without getting caught.

Wrestling is just not Whiatker's game and Adesanya has decent TDD so it probably was never an option.

So they went with the best gameplan. Some of Whitaker's strikes were actually just barely missing Adesanya. He could have moved around but then what? Izzy had the reach advantage. Adesanya just had his number that night.

Most boxing coaches will actually tell you to let the longer fighter close the range for you; I highly doubt any would encourage blitzing on a longer counter puncher.

His plan absolutely in no way possible was the best plan. Wrestling is more Whittaker's game than it is adesanya's, so I don't buy your reasoning for completely ignoring it as a possibility. Let me know when adesanya starts winning national wrestling tournaments and qualifies to represent his country in wrestling.

I stand by my original comment. His gameplan was not smart at all. The result is evidence of that. If you think that was the best gameplan, then you think that's the best Whittaker could do against Izzy.... really??

Most boxing coaches will actually tell you to let the longer fighter close the range for you; I highly doubt any would encourage blitzing on a longer counter puncher.

His plan absolutely in no way possible was the best plan. Wrestling is more Whittaker's game than it is adesanya's, so I don't buy your reasoning for completely ignoring it as a possibility. Let me know when adesanya starts winning national wrestling tournaments and qualifies to represent his country in wrestling.

I stand by my original comment. His gameplan was not smart at all. The result is evidence of that. If you think that was the best gameplan, then you think that's the best Whittaker could do against Izzy.... really??

Lol imma stop you there. I box. Amateurs 24 fights. What boxing coaches are those?

Lol you are ALWAYS told to get inside the reach of a taller opponent. You dont let them dictate distance because you know they have the reach advantage and can touch you before you can touch them.

A taller opponent especially one who knows how to use his reach will just follow you and touch you with the jab. You the shorter fighter NEED to initiate and get inside

I am not one to buy into conspiracy theories. But this does feel very similar to Conor v Aldo right?

Were Aldo n Rob paid to fight to their opponents advantage?

Most of me believes Bobby m Aldo’s fighting pride wouldnt let them but a tiny part of me also thinks money talks and both defeats seemed slightly out of character and style.

I am probably just reading to much into things.

haha Ignore me and my tinfoil hat.

I said it in a previous thread as well though. Roberts Blitzes where fine But he was retreating after them and letting Israel off the hook and allowing him to find his range and settle in comfortably.

Robert needed to Blitz in then initiate Grappling. Get izzy to the fence and Kongo him for as long as it took to tire him out.

I get the feeling Izzy is alot stronger then he looks and we also have to remember Rob was rocked in R1 and really should have been finished.

Consider this,
If you asked some random "tough guy" off the street to get inside a cage and fight Adesanya, he'd probably go in there and attempt the same thing that Bobby attempted.

.... Lunging hooks and wild over hands.

As someone who considers Whittaker to be a great champion and a fighter with very good fight IQ, how is it possible that with months to prepare, that's what him and his team came up with?

I cannot wrap my head around that or understand at all.

And, he came out immediately in rd 1 fighting like that, so it wasn't some spontaneous adjustment or impulsive decision he just made. Plus, neither Bobby or his team said anything about him going away from the gameplan or not listening so it's fair to assume that was deliberately the gameplan his coaches came up with.

No hate but that has got to be one of the worst game plans in UFC Title Fight History and I don't understand it.

What say you Sherbros...what the fuck? How? Why?!

PS - Not taking anything away from Izzy, while I don't like the dude, he put on a masterclass performance, hats off to him he was spectacular. This is about Whittaker's gameplan though.

What would you have done against a guy with a longer reach?

Too much masturbating pre-fight. Probably wore his arms out before the first round.

Lol imma stop you there. I box. Amateurs 24 fights. What boxing coaches are those?

Lol you are ALWAYS told to get inside the reach of a taller opponent. You dont let them dictate distance because you know they have the reach advantage and can touch you before you can touch them.

A taller opponent especially one who knows how to use his reach will just follow you and touch you with the jab. You the shorter fighter NEED to initiate and get inside

I coach striking (Boxing, Indo Kickboxing base) and I would never tell a fighter to let the taller longer person come to you........ Get in tight stay in tight. Work the body till the hands drop to cover then light em up. Cut of the retreat and stay in tight.

I was screaming at the TV everytime Rob jumped back after a Blitz and Gave Israel space. Im like Stay there keep the pressure on grapple.

I coach striking (Boxing, Indo Kickboxing base) and I would never tell a fighter to let the taller longer person come to you........ Get in tight stay in tight. Work the body till the hands drop to cover then light em up. Cut of the retreat and stay in tight.

I was screaming at the TV everytime Rob jumped back after a Blitz and Gave Israel space. Im like Stay there keep the pressure on grapple.

Yup. My coaches always tell me to stay in there chest, slip and get in and, etc.

Rob's instincts as a fighter is to jump in and out, that's his style and so he isnt comfortable staying in the pocket. I always said it was going to be a matter of time till Adesanya gets his timing and Rob slows down a little bit

Gonna get nerd rage for this but owell

Whittaker has always been overrated.

Called Adesanya beating him. And I've also been saying for years that Moisasi would absolutely tool him as well.

His coach that got him to the top needs to come back. Fighting like that with no feints or jabs was a stupid gameplan by an idiot new coach. Blitzing 1, 2s without a takedown was just dumb. Everyone knows Robs better than this and is still the best.

Lmao the gameplan excuse.

If he landed one of those bombs, u guys would be saying how amazing he is and how overrated adesanya is.

They'll meet again
ImperturbablePoliticalIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif
This GIF is the perfect example why instead if giving crap to Whittaker we should give props to Adesanya.

Adasanya dodged that right hand by an hair, with his chin up, don't pretend that being in exchanges like that is a smart tactic for most of other fighters in mma, Adesanya is a ninja.
Then Whittaker was half a second late with his hook and got cracked.

Whittaker is a lot shorter, to get Adesanya he needs to take risks, I don't see any other way he could fight differently, seems Adesanya has his number.

Back