I can't wrap my head around Whittaker's strategy

The Legendary Scarface

Record since UFC 266 : 51-34
@Black
Reaction score
Consider this,
If you asked some random "tough guy" off the street to get inside a cage and fight Adesanya, he'd probably go in there and attempt the same thing that Bobby attempted.

.... Lunging hooks and wild over hands.

As someone who considers Whittaker to be a great champion and a fighter with very good fight IQ, how is it possible that with months to prepare, that's what him and his team came up with?

I cannot wrap my head around that or understand at all.

And, he came out immediately in rd 1 fighting like that, so it wasn't some spontaneous adjustment or impulsive decision he just made. Plus, neither Bobby or his team said anything about him going away from the gameplan or not listening so it's fair to assume that was deliberately the gameplan his coaches came up with.

No hate but that has got to be one of the worst game plans in UFC Title Fight History and I don't understand it.

What say you Sherbros...what the fuck? How? Why?!

PS - Not taking anything away from Izzy, while I don't like the dude, he put on a masterclass performance, hats off to him he was spectacular. This is about Whittaker's gameplan though.

Confirmed. Whittaker with a smart strategy beats Izzy.

Imo all the emotion got to him in a negative way. His IQ dropped.

They'll meet again
ImperturbablePoliticalIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif

Don't worry Whittaker and Israel will fight again. And will see what he does than.

Still trying to conceptualize your hate of Isreal? How many threads are you going to make about it? How many times do people need to remind you he's always fought that way? I'll do it again. He's always fought that way. He found success against lesser strikers (ie grapplers), but was made to pay for it by the elite. In his mind "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

What is odd is the fact he didn't shoot, especially considering his team had put out that week that Robs timing is GSPesque.

Yeah, been wondering the same myself.

And his post-fight interviews where he claims he wouldn't have done anything any different if he could do it again.

His interviews before the fight he said if Kelvin gastelum was able to touch isreal, hed be able to do it better.

Is it that simple? Did Rob just figure he'd replicate what he saw Kelvin do , but do it better and win?

Seems rather crazy to me. No wrestling attempts? No body work? No leg kicks?

Just lunging jabs followed by hooks?

They'll meet again
ImperturbablePoliticalIrukandjijellyfish-size_restricted.gif
At the time of the fight I thought Whittaker looked fine, but after seeing these gifs of the finish holy shit. Wtf was he thinking in that exchange? Swinging wildly with his hands down like he's just asking to get ko'd by a counterstriker.

Thats how Whittaker fights lmao

I don't know where this notion of Bobby K coming into fights with individualized and highly intelligent game plans comes from.

He fights the same in basically every fight.

He said in an interview prior to the fight something along the lines of "LMAO A BLOATED WELTERWEIGHT WAS CLOSING THE DISTANCE AND HITTING HIM, IMMA DO THE SAME, I'M MUCH FASTER" (i.e. same thing many sherdoggers were saying). It's not really surprising that he tried to emulate Gastelum

It was a dumb strategy. Winging & lunging.
Then when he got into exchanges he dropped the opposite hand he was throwing with and got caught. Turrible.

He had no gameplan and that is what he needed when fighting a seasoned striker. He could beat Izzy, but I don't know if he will because he seems to think he needs more of the same. He showed no respect whatsoever for Izzy's power or striking ability. He will be back and I hope he watches this fight and learns.

Thats how Whittaker fights lmao

I don't know where this notion of Bobby K coming into fights with individualized and highly intelligent game plans comes from.

He fights the same in basically every fight.
No. No he doesnt. Stark difference even between the 2 Romero fights.

Consider this,
If you asked some random "tough guy" off the street to get inside a cage and fight Adesanya, he'd probably go in there and attempt the same thing that Bobby attempted.

.... Lunging hooks and wild over hands.

As someone who considers Whittaker to be a great champion and a fighter with very good fight IQ, how is it possible that with months to prepare, that's what him and his team came up with?

I cannot wrap my head around that or understand at all.

And, he came out immediately in rd 1 fighting like that, so it wasn't some spontaneous adjustment or impulsive decision he just made. Plus, neither Bobby or his team said anything about him going away from the gameplan or not listening so it's fair to assume that was deliberately the gameplan his coaches came up with.

No hate but that has got to be one of the worst game plans in UFC Title Fight History and I don't understand it.

What say you Sherbros...what the fuck? How? Why?!

PS - Not taking anything away from Izzy, while I don't like the dude, he put on a masterclass performance, hats off to him he was spectacular. This is about Whittaker's gameplan though.
It was pretty mind boggling. Same combo over and over again, wild overhands, no takedowns. I don't understand.

Look at this guy trying to sound smart lol. I bet you you was one of the dudes that said if Gastelum can hit him so can Rob.

What the fuck was Rob suppose to do you dummy? Wrestle? That's not his game, he is not going to do something he is not accustomed to in the biggest fight of his life. Stay outside and not blitz at all? Try and kickboxing at range against a better, longer kick boxer? Are you stupid?

Rob did what he had to do, I called what happened and knew Whitaker was out of his league. Just the casuals that thought Whitaker would KO Adesanya are the ones saying he should have fought different. How though? Lol

Gastelum did the same thing only he has an iron chin so eventually he took enough to land some big ones of his own. He was swinging and missing a lot early in the fight but eventually landed. Rob didnt have the chin to survive that long. I think that last fight with Romero changed him forever. I wouldnt say he was throwing bad punches either. They had good velocity on them and he was throwing 2s and 3s followed by high kicks with both legs. I reckon those shots would have touched other guys. He was trying to catch Israel with anything he could but Izzys angles and defensive instincts kept him just out of the way where he countered the fuck out of Rob. With that said I dont think Rob did anything wrong I feel like either guy could have been KOd in some of those exchanges.

Round 1 was even until the knockdown. Not sure why people act as if it was one sided from the start due to strategy.

Back