I can't talk with my mouthguard in; which type should I buy?

Kwik Kick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I have a pretty decent Venum mouthguard, but I literally can't talk with the thing in. Most other people I spar with don't seem to have the same level of speech muffling that I do.

Do you have recommendations for mouth guards that would be better in this regard that aren't really high from a price point side? Thanks.

I use the Impact brand, mouth guards.
https://www.impactmouthguards.com/collections/stripes-flags/products/white-red

The link above is for their 2-color style, but they have a lot of options.
That particular one costs $59.

Under the pulldown menu where you choose your sport, I have a couple for boxing and one for BJJ.
The only difference in those two versions is the thickness in front of your teeth.

The Boxing one is thicker than the one for BJJ.

I am able to talk easily with either one. I keep them in the whole time. Not having to remove the mouthguard is a plus from a cleanliness perspective. Touching the guard to take it in and out is not a good idea. These you can keep in all the time. They don't impair breathing or talking.

The link above is for the style that you have to make a mold/impression of your teeth and mail it in.
so it might take a few weeks to get your mouthguard.

They do offer a boil and bite model. It costs $29.
I couldn't tell you anything about that model. You'd have to contact them to ask about how well you can talk when using their boil and bite model.

My son has one that I ordered when he started BJJ. He later used it for a season of wrestling. He kept it in all the time also. He never felt it interfered with speaking.

I hope that helps.

Under the pulldown menu where you choose your sport, I have a couple for boxing and one for BJJ.
The only difference in those two versions is the thickness in front of your teeth.

I am able to talk easily with either one. I keep them in the whole time. Not having to remove the mouthguard is a plus from a cleanliness perspective. Touching the guard to take it in and out is not a good idea. These you can keep in all the time. They don't impair breathing or talking.

The link above is for the style that you have to make a mold/impression of your teeth and mail it in.

I couldn't tell you anything about that model. You'd have to contact them to ask about how well you can talk when using their boil and bite model.

My son has one that I ordered when he started BJJ. He later used it for a season of wrestling. He kept it in all the time also. He never felt it interfered with speaking.

I hope that helps.

Great help. Thanks!

Why can't you talk? If it's because it falls out, then my recommendation is to get a custom fitted mouthguard.

If it's anything else, my recommendation is to get a custom fitted mouthguard ;-)

Its simply because of getting used to it. I can't talk with mouthguards in well either and I've worn all different types over 20+ years of Rugby, boxing and muay thai.

I hope that helps.
Custom fitted guards feel better and protect more.

Its simply because of getting used to it. I can't talk with mouthguards in well either and I've worn all different types over 20+ years of Rugby, boxing and muay thai.
Have you tried a custom fitted one? I have no trouble talking with mine in.

Have you tried a custom fitted one? I have no trouble talking with mine in.

I had a custom one when I was like 17, it was okay, but for some reason it put too much pressure on the frenulum? (the bit of skin between your teeth and lip in the top. And I stopped wearing it. nowdays I don't really bother too much, I've stopped fighting and stopped training. For the first time in my 29 years I'm starting to get some fat on my body lol.

Sisu is my favorite for this. I could talk, coach, and drink water with it in no problem

I have a pretty decent Venum mouthguard, but I literally can't talk with the thing in. Most other people I spar with don't seem to have the same level of speech muffling that I do.

Do you have recommendations for mouth guards that would be better in this regard that aren't really high from a price point side? Thanks.
Buy a double mouthpiece and don't try to talk while you spar

Guardlab if you can get to a scan lab. 3D scan your teeth, fit perfectly.

Get a custom mouth guard through a dentist/orthodontist, if you can - some benefit packages might provide coverage.

I've had numerous boil-and-bite mouth guards throughout the years and they don't compare (grew up playing hockey).

If you are lucky enough, some dental offices do a custom mouth guard for charity. I'm able to get a $5 custom mouth guard for me and my kids with money being donated to Kidsport. (Canada).

Back