I can't stand school/studying

I'm having a real problem here, and it's not a new one, this has been going on my entire life, I have a really hard time concentrating enough to do my homework and studying, I get easily distracted.

I'm 28 and still haven't graduated from college and being honest with myself I don't know if I have it on me anymore, I've dropped out several semesters now, I'm only taking 2 classes and I think I'm already failing one, and having a C on the other, teachers gives a crap ton of homework for crappy 3 points each (not even worth the hours I spent doing it) and the material keeps pilling up to the point I can no longer memorize it and I'm falling behind.

I'm always on time in class, I always do most of my homework, but I'm getting to the point where I'm loosing all interest in even trying since if feels like its too much effort with little to no reward. Anyone else having a hard time with school?

Just curious. Are you trying to get your bachelors? Also what are you studying?

I had that problem too. Eventually I buckled down at 23 after almost losing my financial aid. Took a scare to get me motivated. It's entirely up to you. Your 28, and if you don't have the motivation yet, I don't think you had to truly live on your own means yet to see what it's like to have a shit job, living pay check to pay check. Or maybe you have and it's not to bad to you, because if it was so bad you are just too lazy to better yourself.

Sorry if this sounds mean, but just trying to put truth out there. Telling you everything will be ok isn't going to work.

School absolutely sucks. Work sucks. But when i graduate and have a few grand in the bank, it'll definitely be worth it. I just really try to enjoy my free time. I wish i could sit around all day and play video games and watch movies, that would be my definition of happy. I don't want to be upset all the time because I'm struggling financially.

Ya I just graded from high school last year and now I've started university.. In high school shit came easy to me, I studied and was able to understand everything then end up with 95%+ on all my tests

But now I study and don't even know what's going on. Some classes that I liked in high school, I hate now and shit gets frustrating but ima do what it takes to get dat dough

Edit: as for grades idk how shit works in uni with scaling/curving but my for my first midterm (a calculus one 2 weeks ago) the average was 41% LOL. I got 58% which is the lowest I've ever gotten on any test

If you really want to achieve a goal, you'll find a way. If you don't you'll find an excuse.

Get a good paying job that doesn't need a degree.

Try the mines or trucks.

Always loads of work & plenty of $$$ to be made.

I don't get people who say things like "It's only worth three points!" Just fucking do it, those points add up. Every time I here someone complain about points it's also always in a class where there aren't a lot of points, so it's actually worth a lot.

TS, your can't-do attitude is one of the reasons why our country is so mediocre. Good luck

I've ordered some concentration supplements. When my scale comes in I'll let you know how well it works.

You need to find a way for it to get easier to study. Eliminate distractions.

For me it was finding a completely different area where I would study compared to where I hung out/had leisure time. It allowed me to focus more and it was a place where people wouldn't come to and bother me. I also studied at odd hours when people usually were sleeping however or at least quiet so it was easier.

I don't get people who say things like "It's only worth three points!" Just fucking do it, those points add up. Every time I here someone complain about points it's also always in a class where there aren't a lot of points, so it's actually worth a lot.

Usually it gets you more leverage with you professors too. They are far more understanding with other matters if they know you usually do all the assignments and work hard at the class compared to purposely skipping low point work.

I'm having a real problem here, and it's not a new one, this has been going on my entire life, I have a really hard time concentrating enough to do my homework and studying, I get easily distracted.

I'm 28 and still haven't graduated from college and being honest with myself I don't know if I have it on me anymore, I've dropped out several semesters now, I'm only taking 2 classes and I think I'm already failing one, and having a C on the other, teachers gives a crap ton of homework for crappy 3 points each (not even worth the hours I spent doing it) and the material keeps pilling up to the point I can no longer memorize it and I'm falling behind.

I'm always on time in class, I always do most of my homework, but I'm getting to the point where I'm loosing all interest in even trying since if feels like its too much effort with little to no reward. Anyone else having a hard time with school?

Sounds like there are no consequences for failure for you. If there was something motivating you I'm sure your focus would be easier to find.

what do you plan on doing with your ph.d in biochem?

Leaning towards academia. Not because I want to teach but because I would like to do my own research. But I wouldn't be surprised if I applied to some major biotechs as well

Most people spend half their energy in life trying to be something else.

Do you have adhd btw?

Sitting in a room and listening to lectures is simply not the best way to learn anyways. Guys like to learn things hands on, from experience, and not listening to someone else's experience. That should be secondary not the primary way of learning.

I know lots of kids who did well in a classroom. They are either nerds who cant do anything in real life, suck ups, or their parents are suck ups. It is all about image, and not real results.

Now these nerds, suck ups, and kids of suck ups have all the good jobs because that is how our society has evolved. And people wonder why this country seems like it is going down the tubes.

Sitting in a room and listening to lectures is simply not the best way to learn anyways. Guys like to learn things hands on, from experience, and not listening to someone else's experience. That should be secondary not the primary way of learning.

I know lots of kids who did well in a classroom. They are either nerds who cant do anything in real life, suck ups, or their parents are suck ups. It is all about image, and not real results.

Now these nerds, suck ups, and kids of suck ups have all the good jobs because that is how our society has evolved. And people wonder why this country seems like it is going down the tubes.

Or maybe they are hard workers with a goal they would like to achieve?

I used to be like that too, but recently have changed some habits in my life and started doing this tutoring service that helped me a lot with some of my science classes. Sometimes it's hard to stay motivated, but you just have to do it.

Unless you have another medical condition, it sounds like mild depression. When you're depressed it can be very difficult to concentrate on a lot of things.

I had trouble concentrating in elementary/high school and in college too when I lived at home. It was a bad environment, but I went back to school later and got straight A's and had zero problems.

Unless you have another medical condition, it sounds like mild depression. When you're depressed it can be very difficult to concentrate on a lot of things.

I had trouble concentrating in elementary/high school and in college too when I lived at home. It was a bad environment, but I went back to school later and got straight A's and had zero problems.

This, look into it. I was depressed as hell in college. Self medicated through alcohol abuse, got even more depressed and it became a vicious cycle. I took 3 years off, got my personal life straight, stopped my bad habits (it was hard), and I came back with a vengeance.

Also, you might want to look at smaller programs that are more career oriented. For example, civil drafting, psychiatric nursing (my brother in law does it, and he started off at $32/hr, and now makes $40/hr), dispatching, operations management diploma/certificate, piping design and drafting certificate, etc. These are all practical, and you will probably be making more than most college grads. My friend did an architecture certificate along side his degree, and it has helped him more than his degree did.

Also, don't get too depressed, you only have one life to live, I know it's easier said than done, but I've been through it.

Back