I can't lose weight even by dieting

cheeserman

White Belt
Reaction score
I make sure I been in a calorie deficit after working out and training. I do a lot of cardio and do some weights too. I only have lost not even 3lbs. But I have actually lost a few pant sizes and my family says my face is skinnier.

Any reasons why I can't lose the weight?

Eh, if you've lost pant sizes, and your face is skinnier, you've lost fat. You just gained muscle at the same time.
"Losing weight" is just a general metric, and not really anything to live by, assuming someones goal is to lose fat mass.

To lose weight stopping weight lifting excercises should be one of the first things you stop.

To lose weight stopping weight lifting excercises should be one of the first things you stop.

So by stop stopping it you mean don't stop?

I agree.

I make sure I been in a calorie deficit after working out and training. I do a lot of cardio and do some weights too. I only have lost not even 3lbs. But I have actually lost a few pant sizes and my family says my face is skinnier.

Any reasons why I can't lose the weight?

Weight? height? age? excercise frequency? diet? supps?

You really aren't giving us much to go on to try and help.

If this post is cheeky, kudos. If you're giving serious advice, you're a fucking idiot.

If this post is cheeky, kudos. If you're giving serious advice, you're a fucking idiot.

The problem is, even if he's joking, not everyone knows he is so he's still an arsehole for possibly confusing people. With the amount of misinformation, bro science and flat out bullshit misinformation out there already this kind of crap really isn't helpful and can hurt someone just starting out.

Weight? height? age? excercise frequency? diet? supps?

You really aren't giving us much to go on to try and help.

6ft 195lbs 27 Asian

I usually do exercise 6 times a week and for about 2-2.5 hours. I do biking and running.

The only meat I eat is fish. I stopped eating potato chips and replaced it with hummus and that middle eastern bread.

Although I lost pant sizes, I read my fat level is like 28% (on my scale) which is really high, I heard 30% or higher is considered obese. 14-18% is the healthy body fat %. Actually I rather lower my body fat % than my weight.

Last edited:
6ft 195lbs 27 Asian

I usually do exercise 6 times a week and for about 2-2.5 hours. I do biking and running.

The only meat I eat is fish. I stopped eating potato chips and replaced it with hummus and that middle eastern bread.

Although I lost pant sizes, I read my fat level is like 28% (on my scale) which is really high, I heard 30% or higher is considered obese. 14-18% is the healthy body fat %. Actually I rather lower my body fat % than my weight.

Ooooohhhhhhhh......

6ft 195lbs 27 Asian

Careful with the hummus. It's full of healthy fat, but it's very calorie dense and easy to underestimate how much you're actually eating.

6ft 195lbs 27 Asian

There's nothing wrong with eating meat. Apart from hummus and bread what else do you eat? How many calories a day do you consume? is your diet fairly consistent or highly variable? Where do you get your protein from if not meat? Have you worked out how much of your diet comes from fat/protein/carbs?

Most recent research suggests that weights are superior to cardio for weight loss. Have you tried weight training at all?

There's nothing wrong with eating meat. Apart from hummus and bread what else do you eat? How many calories a day do you consume? is your diet fairly consistent or highly variable? Where do you get your protein from if not meat? Have you worked out how much of your diet comes from fat/protein/carbs?

Most recent research suggests that weights are superior to cardio for weight loss. Have you tried weight training at all?

I used to have a bad diet. I used to eat donuts after doing BJJ and boxing. I would work hard so I would so eat a lot cause of that and would eat so much I never lost weight. Lately I replaced cake, donuts and cookies with banana fruit smoothies or grapefruits. I goto the market to buy tomatoes and lettuce. I got kale once but tasted like sand paper so I couldnt finish it.

Does doing pull ups and push ups count? I do them almost every morning. I do for abs plank exercises. I do squats as well.

Im getting the idea of the fats protein and carbs. But im still learning. I try to not eat carbs after lunch. I just eat a big fish (usually salmon) with salad for dinner. I don't like the taste of pork or beef.

I used to get criticized often by people at my BJJ gym for not being able to keep weight.

I used to have a bad diet. I used to eat donuts after doing BJJ and boxing. I would work hard so I would so eat a lot cause of that and would eat so much I never lost weight. Lately I replaced cake, donuts and cookies with banana fruit smoothies or grapefruits. I goto the market to buy tomatoes and lettuce. I got kale once but tasted like sand paper so I couldnt finish it.

Does doing pull ups and push ups count? I do them almost every morning. I do for abs plank exercises. I do squats as well.

Im getting the idea of the fats protein and carbs. But im still learning. I try to not eat carbs after lunch. I just eat a big fish (usually salmon) with salad for dinner. I don't like the taste of pork or beef.

I used to get criticized often by people at my BJJ gym for not being able to keep weight.

Body weight exercises definitely count but you might want to try some heavy weight training to mix things up. Might be worth going to a local gym and paying a personal trainer for a couple of lessons just to run you through some workouts and to make sure your form is good etc.

Smoothies are good but you need to be careful as they can pack a lot of calories if there is a lot of fruit in them. Good work on cutting out the doughnuts and other junk though as it's a good start.

You didn't say how many calories a day you are eating or if your diet is relatively consistent or not? If you are not fairly consistent you will never be able to accurately figure out your caloric consumption. Most people's problem with dieting is that they greatly underestimate the number of calories consumed. There are other possibilities but based on your history and listed body fat percentage, this seems like a good place to start investigating.

Someone mentioned here doing weights is much superior then cardio and from personal experience I can agree (had 10 ammy muay thai fights now just doing bodybuilding oriented training).

But this gos hand in hand with a good diet. Theres a reason why bodybuilders are able to lose fat with zero to minimal cardio.

Also when your muscles are constantly adapting, recovering and being active from all the weight training, you tend to utilize your food much better. Lyle mcdonald touches up on refeeds and even suggest after a heavy carb load weights>cardio.

But in the end, you need to make sure your diet is on point

This made me laugh, what kind of advice are you trying to give.

TS hit the weights and hit them hard. If you're interested in losing pant sizes and bringing your body fat down you NEED to lift. You can accomplish a lot doing cardio, but if you drop a decent amount of weight then you'll lose muscle also. You'll just look skinny fat. Hit the weights, do cardio, don't go overboard.

Find out what you're TDEE and drop your calories enough that you can lose a healthy 1 - 2 pounds per week. You'll see with the weights loss your body will recomposition, and you'll look better without dropping as much weight.

Muscle is more dense than fat by volume. You can weigh the same amount as somebody else but look a heck of a lot better than them.

I would personally say 70 - 80% diet cause if you're eating poor, you're not going to obtain the best results.

You didn't say how many calories a day you are eating or if your diet is relatively consistent or not? If you are not fairly consistent you will never be able to accurately figure out your caloric consumption. Most people's problem with dieting is that they greatly underestimate the number of calories consumed. There are other possibilities but based on your history and listed body fat percentage, this seems like a good place to start investigating.

I try to burn atleast 1,200 to 1,600 calories on the bike a day and I try to eat around the 2000calorie mark. Sometimes I got a bit over sometimes a bit under.

General note of contradiction:

If all that matters is caloric deficit, then composition of diet shouldn't matter at all so long as the deficit is intact.

Now, if one's first thought when reading that is "well, it does matter WHAT you eat" that would be correct. But understand how this conflicts with the general premise of "just eat leas and burn more." That's a statement that doesn't actually tell anyone HOW to get to the goal they desire.

I try to burn atleast 1,200 to 1,600 calories on the bike a day and I try to eat around the 2000calorie mark. Sometimes I got a bit over sometimes a bit under.

DUDE! If you are burning 1,200 to 1,600 calories JUST on a bike alone and only eating 2,000 calories you are severely undereating, and this is just plain bad for you regardless of if you want to lose weight or not. You're doing more longterm damage than anything.

Just put it this way, if you burn 1,200-1,600 calories in a workout, you burn about another 1,500-2,400 (depending on bodyweight and metabolism, I'm guessing you will be at the higher range if you're a big guy trying to lose weight) just by being alive and living a normal life. You're expending 2,700 to 4,000 calories a day and only eating 2000? That's as much as a 2000 calorie deficit every day! You can't expect anything but negative results with that kind of deficit.

As a general guideline:
- Try not to run a huge deficit every day. For every two days that you run a massive deficit (+1000kcal less than your energy needs), you need one day with a significant caloric surplus (+1000kcal more than your energy needs) to balance it out.
- If want to run a moderate consistent deficit (i.e. 500-1000kcal per day), figure out how many calories you expend and take in daily with tracking tools like fitbit or myfitnesspal. Be precise!
- Eat lots of protein, veggies, and fruit. Don't cut out carbs or fat, just be mindful of their consumption.
- Try to take up some kind of training modality other than biking (you can still keep biking though). Unless you just absolutely adore biking, maybe consider trying out something new like resistance training or calisthenics. Hell, even running and swimming would be good additive.

DUDE! If you are burning 1,200 to 1,600 calories JUST on a bike alone and only eating 2,000 calories you are severely undereating, and this is just plain bad for you regardless of if you want to lose weight or not. You're doing more longterm damage than anything.

Just put it this way, if you burn 1,200-1,600 calories in a workout, you burn about another 1,500-2,400 (depending on bodyweight and metabolism, I'm guessing you will be at the higher range if you're a big guy trying to lose weight) just by being alive and living a normal life. You're expending 2,700 to 4,000 calories a day and only eating 2000? That's as much as a 2000 calorie deficit every day! You can't expect anything but negative results with that kind of deficit.

As a general guideline:
- Try not to run a huge deficit every day. For every two days that you run a massive deficit (+1000kcal less than your energy needs), you need one day with a significant caloric surplus (+1000kcal more than your energy needs) to balance it out.
- If want to run a moderate consistent deficit (i.e. 500-1000kcal per day), figure out how many calories you expend and take in daily with tracking tools like fitbit or myfitnesspal. Be precise!
- Eat lots of protein, veggies, and fruit. Don't cut out carbs or fat, just be mindful of their consumption.
- Try to take up some kind of training modality other than biking (you can still keep biking though). Unless you just absolutely adore biking, maybe consider trying out something new like resistance training or calisthenics. Hell, even running and swimming would be good additive.

I also do pull ups, push ups and planks in the morning. Also I do squats sometimes. Im thinking about doing BJJ again but kinda expensive.

Back