I can't fight. I freeze and feel sick, weak at the knees. This always happens.

Someone do TS a favor here and post a link to some of Doubleds legendary posts.

He needs to learn how to throw the overhand right correctly

I hear dropping your pants and flapping your wang around is a solid strategy to both breakup and prevent a fight.

I am 36 and have practiced martial arts most of life and have only been in about two or three legit fights that I could have avoided had I really wanted to.

The reality is, unless you live in the ghetto, you will most likely never get attacked. At the end of the day, all the training and anxiety and energy put into this is pretty much a waste of time. Yeah martial arts fun to practice but if you live like a normal adult, you'll never use it.

You really have nothing to worry about. Even if you do get beat up - who cares. A lot of people take a beating every now and then. It's not the end of the world. I had my face split open in a parking lot once. Life goes on.

You gotta learn to tap into your psychotic rage. The few times in my adult life I've come close to getting in a physical confrontation, I've gone into such a rage the other guy was like eh, never mind. If you don't go looking for trouble and don't live somewhere like detroit, most people that will start shit will be pussies that don't really want to fight. They want to intimidate.

You gotta learn to tap into your psychotic rage. The few times in my adult life I've come close to getting in a physical confrontation, I've gone into such a rage the other guy was like eh, never mind. If you don't go looking for trouble and don't live somewhere like detroit, most people that will start shit will be pussies that don't really want to fight. They want to intimidate.
I can picture you right now...

I can picture you right now...

Lol I'm not a douche like that guy, but that's fairly close to how I get when I'm angry. Pretty much everyone that's ever seen me angry has told me I'm terrifying when I'm angry. I'm normally really chill until something sets me off, so I think the contrast throws people off. I seem like someone that might back down if you fucked with them, but I'm sure not lol.

first thing is that what your feeling is normal for most people, your no different to anybody else. Second thing is its ok to not be a bad ass, if your not a fighter by nature thats fine. Your brain will get you places in life, not your fists.

If you want to understand whats happening to you read about adrenaline and evolutionary survival responses to danger. That wont fix your issue but will give you the framework to unerstand it and do something about it if you choose.
last thing id say is that you havent much experience in fights or you did and it went very badly. your not alone there either. When you feel frozen, your just one movement of your body from going into 'action mode' and defending yourself better. Best way i can explain this is if you are walking down the street and someone attcks you out of the blue, you didnt see them coming. In this situation you would probably defend yourself much more capably than if someone is asking you to fight them and shouting/intimidating you. Your only young, life teaches you certain things from experience. When you get your head around this it wont be as much as an issue.

Like others said, go to a gym and train. I'm not going to lie, I was scared the first few times I sparred. After a while getting punched in the face is no big deal, in fact, it becomes motivational after a while.

Well, honestly, it is sort of simple. Get someone you trust to punch you. And then keep it up. Get hit a lot. You will find that a punch to the face seriously sucks, but it can be handled. Hell, start off with boxing gloves so ya don't even get hurt that much. Once you know what getting punched is like, then you can learn how to fight and defend yourself. The second thing is, throw a punch at someone. Use gloves, plan it out.

Throw a punch, take a punch. Simple as that.

I feel much the same way but I usually talk myself out of the confrontations before they escalate. When the confrontations do begin I usually just focus on defense as much as possible. Perhaps you should go to a gym and just look into it for some self-defense techniques primarily.

You get somewhat over the anxiety and fear of it by sparring. A sparring situation increases adrenaline flow less than an actual fight and makes the feeling easier to manage and direct. Joining pretty much any dojo that includes sparring will help.

That doesn't mean you won't shit yourself in a real situation but you won't get paralyzed by your fear and shame. And that is enough. After all, Romero kicked some serious ass in the Octagon after doing the same on live ppv. Getting the skills to fight boosts your confidence too, which also helps with the fear.

You didn't have a father growing up, did you?

If so, first thing to do is smack him.

Second, join a gym where you can learn and spar.

Third, understand that in most situations you have no business fighting anyway

Did someone already say to tweak your nipples? Tweak your nipples.

Be prepared by practicing and being focused on the goal so your mind doesn't have any brain power devoted to being nervous. All your brain power will be focused on what to do because you will be confident because you are prepared.

Bro,

Ive been in a handful of street altercations, 4 amateur fights, hundreds of sparring sessions throughyears of training, traded punches with high level pros etc.

To this day i feel the same things you described when in similar situations. The only difference is that i react positively due to my training.

Just pay somebody to punch you in the face a bunch of times, you'll see that it's not that bad and eventually you'll get so pissed off you will do something about it.

Back