I can't fight. I freeze and feel sick, weak at the knees. This always happens.

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Kaptai, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Kaptai

Kaptai White Belt

Hello

I'm not gonna lie I'm not a fighter, I literally just signed up here because it's a last resort and I can't solve my problem.

Today I was in McDonalds and some street kid who was about 2 inches taller than me and a few years older than me (I'm 17) started threatening a homeless man with no reason. I was not involved with this whatsoever but even just watching him being aggressive or threatening made me feel sick, made me freeze up and shake.

I've been beaten up a lot in the past. Why? For that exact reason. I freeze up and feel sick and weak at the knees. If a confrontation is planned by someone against me then I always tell myself before 'It won't happen this time be a man you want to beat the **** out of him' or after I will say 'Now he's confronted you it will be fine it won't happen next time' and I'll be really eager before or after but right at a point of confrontation I ****ing freeze and go weak at the knees.

I watch 100's of videos and articles on this and I don't know how to fix it for me, if anyone here can tell me what they would've done if they weren't a pro fighter and how they overcame fear. My real fear is that If I do get the courage to actually fight my constant fear will let an opponent get the better of me anyway...

This is how it's been for years and now people just walk all over me. I couldn't even protect my girlfriend if I had to. I just wish it could be like when I play fight with someone, when I have a pretend fight with my cousin like on a trampoline I will not stop trying unless I have an asthma attack and I win. But in a real confrontation I feel sick.

Someone please help... I'm gonna get the **** beaten out of me otherwise... :(

2. Gabe

Gabe Saturdays are for the Boys

Carry around a gun.

evergreenrider likes this.
  3. MoparOrNoCar

MoparOrNoCar Black Belt

You have anxiety bro.

SCTrojans, Mike, sleepwalk and 6 others like this.
  4. 45ACP

45ACP I'll Be Back Belt

Find a good gym and learn how to actually fight?

Floozys, D Train, sleepwalk and 13 others like this.
  5. Jacob14

Jacob14 Blue Belt

Sounds like you're having panic attacks. Maybe go train at an MMA gym and try to overcome your fear of getting your ass kicked.

But for real, why are you getting into so many confrontations?

Chinballs, sleepwalk and Dogstarman like this.
  6. TrainInVain

TrainInVain Swangin an Bangin Belt

Well remember that even some pro fighters get nervous and have those issues.

Like 45ACP said find a gym where you can practice in a controlled environment.

Dogstarman likes this.
  7. Aegon Spengler

Aegon Spengler Gold Belt

Perhaps train and get yourself slowly used to it.

Kill some animals at a farm

Or street rats.

7 weeks to build a habit so 7 weeks worth of training or killing

chubbman, Fight To Win and TheGZA like this.
  8. Simian Raticus

Simian Raticus GOAT in the North

I think what you need is to realise that getting you ass kicked isn't the end of the world, rather than convince yourself it can't happen.

9. Scerpi

Scerpi Black Belt

Slobodan and Nic will show you the way

10. loyalyolayal

loyalyolayal Steel Belt

Is normal.

Post count is all you need. When you get your orange belt, you'd be a baltimore 7.

11. Kick Strickland

Kick Strickland Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

12. Hearse Lightning

Hearse Lightning Not an Uber

Stop eating at McDonalds for starters.

13. Kahran

Kahran Tiger Style.

This story's made me kinda sad, dude. There have already been good suggestions so all I can do is repeat them. Do your best to find somewhere locally to train, it doesn't matter if it's Boxing, Karate, Wrestling, Judo, MMA, whatever. You need to be learn what to do in these confrontational situations and be confident that you can take care of yourself. You can't just talk to yourself in your head and say things'll be okay without any sort of action because your problem's going to constantly repeat itself. I don't understand why you're worried that you may still lose even when you know what to do and make an effort to defend yourself, having a chance is certainly better than having no chance at all.

This kinda shit upsets me so i'll just urge you again to take charge and do something about it. There are only positives to gain from being confident and being able to handle yourself, you're not much younger than myself, take it seriously and you can learn, no one's saying you have to become a professional. Do yo' best.

14. Milgrim

Milgrim Australopithecus Platinum Member

Everyone says train - it's a good idea. Learning, sparring, etc. in controlled situations will probably help you stay calm in a real world situation ... but not necessarilly.

But don't be in a hurry to get into a street fight to prove something, even to youself.

15. JudoThrowFiasco

JudoThrowFiasco Charming Quark Platinum Member

post a selfie and lets us vote on whether or not you should be concerned about getting your face smashed in. If you're ugly, you have nothing to fear.

Brampton_Boy likes this.
  16. Thai Domi

Thai Domi Silver Belt

Next time just grit your teeth, tuck your chin and fill the room with uppercuts.

Then report back here.

SCTrojans, Matt4786, philth and 2 others like this.
  17. TankAbbott4Eva

TankAbbott4Eva Red Belt

Yep this, if you really want to know i'm sure this conditions your reflexes and instincts to defend yourself if needed. Obviously it should condition your body so you can outrun attackers if possible which is the smartest thing to do.

18. Nowhere Fast

Nowhere Fast Chules' Emotional Hostage.

join the prem thread, imo. We are one big family. Nobody would mess with you again.

19. Harmonica

Harmonica Strong, silent type

The longer you wait to act in confrontational situations, the worse you'll have it. Just start a fight. Everything else will feel natural. Sure, you might get beaten up but at least you'll conquer your fear.

speakhandsforme and shanegotu11 like this.
  20. Pliny Pete

Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

Well you came to the right place