I can't believe I once liked Bas as a commentator

sorry, but you are a hater.
Bas is the man, and continues to be.

I would LOVE for him to commentate along with Rogan.

but I guess you think Goldie is better...
Lol this. I think the dislike comes from Bas and Rogan having a real personality. That makes it so some people love and some people hate them. Personally I cringe when people suggest the UFC needs commentators like other sports organizations have. It's not that they're bad, it's just that they are vanilla and bland. Acceptable and neither loved or hated. Mma has always been a sport for characters, so guys like Bas and Rogan are a much better fit

I'm just rewarding all the old pride events and I just noticed how horrible bad rutten is at commentating.

"He should do this .." "He should do that.."And "I told you" is all this guy is saying. He also makes a ton of stupid mistakes like what I just saw saying he can't wait for igor vovchancin to fight igor vovchancin and stupid stuff like that ..

Bas was always fun as a commentator. He didn't always say the right things but he was entertaining.

Never cared for him or Schiavello. I like Quadros though.

Regardless if you like his shtick or personality no one calls a straight/traditional play by play of a fight better than the Voice. I'm not sure why but it's an art no one else seems willing to attempt let alone perfect like Schiavello.

I liked Bas somewhat back then, but he has been terrible for many, many years. Constantly talking about how he would do something and how badass he is.

Nostalgic goggles are one hell of a drug.

Try replaying or rewatching games and movies you loved as a kid and you'll find most of them are utter shit. If you don't I have bad news for you: you're still wearing them nostalgic goggles. Take them off!

BAS is the MAN!!! End of story
I love the event where Royce Gracie was talking to him and wandy was speaking in the ring and Royce translated what he said and bas said "oh now u know what he's saying" and he was speaking Portuguese

Some may say Bas Rutten is the Mike Goldberger of the PRIDE era, Joe.

This thread is confusing.
Bas is a once in a lifetime commentator...and...and
...and he could do it with one hand tied behind his back.

Bas is out of touch with MMA, I'm glad Bellator doesn't hire Bas

As others have said. It was a different time. Plus I always though Bas was just kind of there to throw in sill remarks and just be himself and give a bit of humor and life to the event. I never took 1/2 the stuff he said or says serious. He's just there to add color and excitement.

sorry, but you are a hater.
Bas is the man, and continues to be.

I would LOVE for him to commentate along with Rogan.

but I guess you think Goldie is better...
Goldie and Bas don't even have the same fucking job. How the hell is it that people don't know the difference between a Play by Play man and a color commentator

It's Bas. He makes up for his mistakes with his personality.

To be fair, that was a different era of MMA.

Bas was evolved, many were not.

If you took today's Joe Rogan and sent him back 10 years to do commentary, he'd probably be giving plenty of critiques as well.

Rogan has been commenting for like 18 years

I'm just rewarding all the old pride events and I just noticed how horrible bad rutten is at commentating.

"He should do this .." "He should do that.."And "I told you" is all this guy is saying. He also makes a ton of stupid mistakes like what I just saw saying he can't wait for igor vovchancin to fight igor vovchancin and stupid stuff like that ..

yea, who is Bas to tell you about fighting.

Goldie and Bas don't even have the same fucking job. How the hell is it that people don't know the difference between a Play by Play man and a color commentator
why? do you think a combo of Baas and Rogan wouldn't work?
I know one thing. They both know MMA.

heck, they forgot more MMA than Goldie learnt over all those years on his job.

why? do you think a combo of Baas and Rogan wouldn't work?
I know one thing. They both know MMA.

heck, they forgot more MMA than Goldie learnt over all those years on his job.

Because they are both color commentators NOT play by play guys. You need a play by play guy and 1 or more color commentators. I swear most MMA fans have never seen another sport in their lives.

Play by play is actually pretty hard and its not about knowing MMA/the sport. Joe and Bas have never done it and would probably not be good at it.

And it really doesn't seem like Bas knows MMA anymore

Never cared for Bas as a commentator. 10 years ago on this board while people we ecstatic over him I said that he sucked and I'll say it again, he sucks as a commentator. As a fighter and personality hes alright. And Rogan and Goldie suck too.

Back