I Can't Believe I Ever Thought This Was A Real Sport

Discussion in 'The Lightweights' started by MMAPARADOX, Jan 13, 2015.

1. MMAPARADOX

MMAPARADOX White Belt

When I first started watching mma it all seemed so real. Dana hyping the events, Joe Rogan's 'passionate' speeches, the countdown shows. I genuinely believed that fighting was a real sport that took 'skill.'

The jig is up now.

We can't ignore the fact anymore that Jon Jones with no striking ability and only 3 years of training has beaten EVERYBODY, and made it look EASY. I can no longer deny that his victories are the result of only his physical advantages. Sure, we can deny this by saying things like "he's good at using his reach," but in reality his strength advantage is just as big.

This guy went from Janitor to champ in 3 years through being bigger& stronger than his opponents, and he doesn't even train in between fights, and he's the RUNT of the family. There's no doubt in my mind that his brothers could easily be heavyweight champs.

It's official, fighting isn't a real sport, only size & strength matter. Fighters that "train their skills" are simply deluding themselves.

2. Boy God

Boy God Purple Belt

TUF noob

3. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

u just started watching MMA when Brock joined did you TS?

4. EJRMAN513

EJRMAN513 Black Belt

Lol look at his join date. UFC 100 fanboy

5. Zipp

Zipp Purple Belt

A 5.5 year white belt. Not too sure about that.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  6. Pontigoose

Pontigoose Blue Belt

Frankie Edgar

7. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Rubbish. Your failure to recognize Jones' greatness does not diminish the sport.

8. Gatts

Gatts Green Belt

My opinion is your opinion is garbage.
    Paradox that bitch.

9. bad seed

bad seed Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I was in awe watching Pudzianowski school every hw legend on his path to GOAT status.

10. INTERL0PER

INTERL0PER Brown Belt

You, conveniently, forgot to mention that Jones was a high school wrestler and won a junior college national championship.

So, he didn't go from "janitor" to world champ in 3 years. He went from former junior college national wrestling champ, to world MMA champ in 3 years.

Also, thanks for pointing out the glaringly obvious fact that Jones is a genetic freak, Captain Fucking Obvious.

One last thing, didn't Brock Lesnar make the practice squad for the Vikings with very little football experience? OMGZ!! FOOTBALL'S NOT A SPORT! YOU JUST NEED TO BE BIG AND STRONG!!!!1

11. gspfedkobe24

gspfedkobe24 Black Belt

Well if you looked in to it a little deeper there is more to MMA then Jon Jones and Conor.....There is always WWE Rousey

12. MortalWombat

MortalWombat Vombatus Sherdoggus

I think he meant "The Janitor", which I thought was pretty clever, though I can't remember, did Jones start with The Janitor? Seems a bit rough.

You forgot "intensity", TS. I'm a big believer in not just strength, size and skill, but that elusive and hard to define "intensity" or "killer instinct" that guys that fight well have while most humans don't.

13. MMAPARADOX

MMAPARADOX White Belt

making the practice squad is a lot less impressive feat than we were made to believe, Brock Lesnar isn't as a great of an athlete that most people think.

He made Shogun look like a Chump even though he has/had no technical striking ability.

14. INTERL0PER

INTERL0PER Brown Belt

Nah, he fought Vlad only a few fights before Shogun, but he'd only been training MMA for 3 years when he fought Shogun. Bones was literally working as a janitor before starting MMA.

And yes, I agree with you about "intensity". It's what separates the true fighters and everyone else and it's a factor always sorely lacking from the "A Level Athlete" threads. To be successful at the highest levels of MMA, not only do you need to be skilled, strong, athletic etc etc etc, you also need to be able to keep cool under pressure and keep your gameplan together while experiencing high levels of pain. It's why I say that the mental game is the most important aspect of MMA, and why guys like Jones have so much success.

Jones said he felt his arm pop when Vitor got him in an armbar, but he didn't tap. When he felt those pops and the pain that would go with it, he would know what might be coming next (think Mir v Sylvia). He could stop it all just by tapping. But he would rather let his arm break.

And you see that borderline insane behaviour all the time in MMA. Urijah Faber breaks both his hands. So he starts throwing elbows. DC and Barnett both broke their hands in their fight. Both kept throwing with abandon.

And it's also easy for MMA fans to become desensitized and forget... these guys are getting punched and kicked, really fucking hard, all the time. There is a base level of pain that comes along with MMA that is really unlike any other sport. You ever had someone kick you as hard as they can, with no pads? How about an elite fighter? I can't even begin to imagine the pain of an Aldo leg kick, a Pettis body kick, or a Hunt left hook. Not to mention the real "wars" of MMA; JDS v Miocic, Hunt v Bigfoot, Shogun v Hendo. Fights where 99% of the population would quit or lose their consciousness, but these fighters some how, some way, push through it all.

That take a "special" kind of person. Most people, and most athletes, are not willing to go through all that just for the victory. The will, desire and toughness required to succeed at the highest levels of MMA is ridiculous.

15. FrontNakedChoke

FrontNakedChoke ____________________

hahahahahaha

16. JWtheKarateKid

JWtheKarateKid Orange Belt