I can't be the only one who thinks Khabib Vs Tony is a bit of a mismatch

Now it is the most hyped fighted in MMA history. It's a fight between two fighters each on 12 fight winning streaks which has probably never happened ever! I get all of that but in reality, or at least on paper, it's probably not even going to be Khabib's hardest fight so far. This is why:

STANDING UP

- Tony gets taken down relatively easily and will almost invite takedowns in order to play into his dangerous bottom game.

- Tony doesn't have the 1 shot KO power required to put Khabib out early. Khabib might take some shots in the first round but he will have plenty of chances to keep trying to take Tony down and he can actually be more aggressive in the striking because Tony isn't really a sniper either. Tony is also fairly hittable and Khabib hits hard. The takedown down threat will make him even more hittable.

ON THE GROUND

- I understand that Tony is very dangerous off his back and he's good with elbows too but he's only really effective when he's inside the guard. Khabib doesn't play around in anyone's guard and he won't be in any position for Tony to effectively elbow or attack with submissions. He'll have Tony against the fence with his legs trapped and his wrist controlled. Or he'll stack Tony in his guard with his legs crossed and land heavy blows from a standing position. He also stands up in people's half guard to do his ground and pound. Tony's guard isn't exactly impossible to pass either.

- Kevin Lee had him in full mount and Danny Castillo arguably won their fight using grappling. If Khabib has him in full mount, he is trapping one of Tony's arms first before smashing him. Khabib also isn't gassing like Kevin Lee.

- Tony's glass tank is the best in the UFC imo (not just P4P) but how good will it be after 2 or 3 rounds of repeated smeshing. Tony gets chaotic and frantic when he's in bad situations like when he was flailing his arms all over the place when Kevin Lee was hitting him from full mount. Or when Pettis dropped him and he was spinning like he's in a washing machine. I can imagine him wasting his energy (yes it's actually possible, he's a human being) when Khabib has him in horrific positions which he'll achieve relatively easily.

Tony is an awesome fighter and the 2nd best lightweight ever but I've got to be honest. I think a lot of fans are inflating his chances and his abilities in general because they've bought in to this idea that Tony Ferguson is some super human whose gas tank literally does not run out or he gets dropped as part of his strategy. Or that he's the type of guy to beat Khabib off his back whilst talking to him.

Long story short, I think people have taken the 'Tony is the type of guy' joke too far and now they really see him that way.

As one of the biggest Khabib fans around here. Here's what I got for you:

Stand up: I believe Tony outstrikes Khabib. He has a freakishly long reach for LW division. He also throws a lot of spinning shit, awkward shit from crazy angles as well as elbows. He is in my opinion technically a more sound striker than Beeb.

I disagree with Khabib being a hard puncher. The haymaker he landed against Conor was beautiful, but this has so far been the first and last time we've seen something like that from him.

He won't be able to jab Ferg like he did AI due to Fergusons freakishly long reach, Ferg will outjab him at distance. Khabib will need to close the distance and get a hold of Ferg and clinch him up or go for a TD. Ferguson will be able to land elbows and spinning shit when Khabib is coming in.

One advantage Khabib has over Ferguson in the stand up department is better chin. Khabib's father pointed out several times in interviews that Khabib might be able to trade with Ferg and drop him first. This might work and would be very impressive if Khabib decided to do that.

Ground: Khabib dominates and controls him here. I don't believe in that "elbows from bottom" BS. He won't be able to land many of those with Khabibs level of top control. Sure he might land some, but those won't do the damage needed to beat Khabib and will not be the deciding factor in this fight. I do however believe Ferg might catch him with submissions, so Khabib will need to be careful. The chances of this are slim though.

Khabib will highly likely get him down, control him and pound his face into Bolivia though.

Conclusion:
Those people saying Ferguson should invite Khabib to take him down and not try to get up are delusional. Fergs best shot at winning this fight is not getting taken down, keep back of the fence, keep distance and outstrike Khabib from range using his freakish reach advantage.

I see more or less the same thing, only question is, could Tony have enough energy in the 3rd or 4th after all that smashing whe khabib rests a bit, if so he could pressure Khabib in a bad spot.

tenor.gif

LOL

That raised my eyebrow as well :D

Now it is the most hyped fighted in MMA history. It's a fight between two fighters each on 12 fight winning streaks which has probably never happened ever! I get all of that but in reality, or at least on paper, it's probably not even going to be Khabib's hardest fight so far. This is why:

STANDING UP

- Tony gets taken down relatively easily and will almost invite takedowns in order to play into his dangerous bottom game.

- Tony doesn't have the 1 shot KO power required to put Khabib out early. Khabib might take some shots in the first round but he will have plenty of chances to keep trying to take Tony down and he can actually be more aggressive in the striking because Tony isn't really a sniper either. Tony is also fairly hittable and Khabib hits hard. The takedown down threat will make him even more hittable.

ON THE GROUND

- I understand that Tony is very dangerous off his back and he's good with elbows too but he's only really effective when he's inside the guard. Khabib doesn't play around in anyone's guard and he won't be in any position for Tony to effectively elbow or attack with submissions. He'll have Tony against the fence with his legs trapped and his wrist controlled. Or he'll stack Tony in his guard with his legs crossed and land heavy blows from a standing position. He also stands up in people's half guard to do his ground and pound. Tony's guard isn't exactly impossible to pass either.

- Kevin Lee had him in full mount and Danny Castillo arguably won their fight using grappling. If Khabib has him in full mount, he is trapping one of Tony's arms first before smashing him. Khabib also isn't gassing like Kevin Lee.

- Tony's glass tank is the best in the UFC imo (not just P4P) but how good will it be after 2 or 3 rounds of repeated smeshing. Tony gets chaotic and frantic when he's in bad situations like when he was flailing his arms all over the place when Kevin Lee was hitting him from full mount. Or when Pettis dropped him and he was spinning like he's in a washing machine. I can imagine him wasting his energy (yes it's actually possible, he's a human being) when Khabib has him in horrific positions which he'll achieve relatively easily.

Tony is an awesome fighter and the 2nd best lightweight ever but I've got to be honest. I think a lot of fans are inflating his chances and his abilities in general because they've bought in to this idea that Tony Ferguson is some super human whose gas tank literally does not run out or he gets dropped as part of his strategy. Or that he's the type of guy to beat Khabib off his back whilst talking to him.

Long story short, I think people have taken the 'Tony is the type of guy' joke too far and now they really see him that way.

You simply cannot be unbiased if you think this is going to be a mismatch.

Khabib is not untouchable. Poirier tagged him and almost caught him with a guillotine, AND YES THAT WAS CLOSE, Ferguson is a darce monster and the darce goes hand in hand with guillotines. Now Ferguson is twice more dangerous than Poirier, has the best ground game from his back on the division.

Also we haven't seen Khabib controlling someone as big as Ferguson, someone with that lanky body type, his legs and arms are long.

Stop being stupid and biased, that's a hell of a matchup, not a mismatch by any means. My money is on ferguson

Khabib is too good to just sit on Tony's guard and give him his head to elbow. Not saying he won't get some but if you're banking on tony's 'cardio and elbow' to win then I don't know what to tell you.

calling it a missmatch is fucking stupid lol

I do strongly favor khabib as time goes on tho. I think hes gonna shock the world and ragdoll tony just like everyone and the elbows/bjj defense wont even be a factor

I think if Tony keeps up the pace Khabib will gas late on like how he went big trying to finish Conor in the second and took the third round off or when he decided to stand for the last 2 rounds against Al.

I don't believe Khabib ever faced a strong guard player in the UFC.

STANDING UP

ON THE GROUND

With due respect I got tony by tko or sub in round 4...but I do see your points

I dont understand how anyone can call this an easy fight for Khabib. Sure he has been extremely dominant in his UFC career, but none of what he have shown inside the octagon, makes me Think he could just steamroll Tony, as it is quite clear by now, that Tonys complete MMA game, is way above anyone else that Khabib has been up against.

Mismatch? definitely not.
I do think Khabib will win, and just because of his style of fighting if he gets things going it might look like a blowout, but that doesn't mean it's a mismatch.
Tony is dangerous standing and on the ground, he's tough, he has great cardio, and everyone he's fought comes out looking like they just wrestled a tiger.

Khabib hasn't faced a ton of adversity in his fights, Tony definitely has the skill set and attributes to create that adversity.

Def not a mismatch but I’ll buck the trend of people completely disagreeing with you a bit. Stylistically it is correct that tony could be dominated. It doesn’t make it a mismatch, it’s a style clash. Tony isn’t afraid to be taken down and will sacrifice position of the ground for potential to either sub or strike. If khabib is able to counter and control him and stay a step ahead he could negate everything tony does. But why this isn’t a mismatch is because instead of the normal gameplan people employ to avoid being taken down and to use all their energy in the ground to get back up, tony will throw unorthodox attacks and if they are successful he can get the win.

You definitely underrate the cardio factor as well, there’s no resting against tony and if his attacks have any success khabib won’t be solely smeshing on the ground, he’ll also be playing a lot of defence and possibly bleeding. So if khabib doesn’t just dominate and negate everything tony does, and the fight goes past 3 rounds, it’ll get very interesting.

so no not a mismatch. Some interesting and unique paths to victory for tony. I haven’t quite decided on my prediction yet, leaning towards khabib implementing his gameplan more than tony but over5 it becomes very intriguing. Is it more likely khabib dominates fully and doesn’t gas, or stops tony before he gasses, than it is that tony either subs him, or stops him with strikes or gasses khabib and then finishes him?

I don't think the "Tony is gonna make Kab gas with his superior gas tank" folks understand how much more energy it takes to defend and protect yourself from getting smashed in off your back than it does to control someone on the ground.

WHat? Germany vs Russia was the biggest and most important fight in the human history. It was impossible to know what super power would come on top. I feel the same about Tony vs Habib.

I don’t see how Tony can win. My guess is Khabib by shocking domination.

Let's all hope Tony knees beardguy in the head when he goes for the takedown.

Your points are valid. But you could argue every fight with Khabib is a mismatch. If he implements his gameplan against his opponent, it looks like a mismatch.

My view is that Tony's best chance is to hurt Khabib in the standup and go for a sub. He has the cardio to go hard for 5 rounds so he really has 5 chances to hurt Khabib if it goes the distance......The elbows from the bottom argument makes no sense to me.

Even though it might look like a good style for Khabib on paper to some, you can't underestimate Tony, he has the will to win and he doesn't quit. You don't win 12 fights in a row by luck...he is a legit threat.

Here is an exercise that everyone who thinks this fight is a mismatch should do:

Go pull up Khabib's fight with Iaquinta. Don't watch the first 3 rounds. Or do, whatever. For the sake of this exercise we are gonna assume that Khabib dominates Tony the same way he did Al for the first 3 rounds.

Now watch rd 4 of Khabib/Al and put Tony in Al's place. Tony likely has more left in the tank than Al did. Tony is a longer, more diverse striker who does a ton more damage than Al does. And Tony will turn sloppy, telegraphed TD attempts (which is what we saw in that round from Khabib) into chokes that he wraps up TIGHT with his freakishly long arms.

THIS is why most people don't think this is a mismatch at all.

Back