I can always do better v.3

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday:

0/10 back pain

Did a push, pull, squat, and abs exercise/day. I also did my therapy, which is basically one big hip and ab workout.

Sunday: rest day. 0/10 back pain. Tiredness in the muscles from holding my posture perfectly though.

4/15/13 Monday:

Weight: 175.4 lbs
Back Pain: .5/10, not really in the back. Just a tightness of the left hip.

Destroyed everything today. Felt like a boss.

Pullups: 3*10 w/1 min rests. Chin above bar on every rep, will add intensity or volume.

Straight Bar Dips: 3*10 w/1 min rests. Only humped the bar on the last two reps of the last set. Progress.

Toes to bar hanging leg raises: 5*5, rests not timed. I leaned back a little bit on each rep, I don't know if that is okay. I'll ask. Pretty good control.

Pilates for my Rehab.

Pistol Squats: 1*1 left side regular. 3 negatives each side regular. 5*10 each side w/2.5lb plate under heel. Rough form, so no PR. I wanted to really hit the volume hard, hoping it will move me towards a regular one. Pushing up isn't hard, it's staying in a good position to push up from.

1 arm at a time muscle ups: 2 reps each side with just a explosive leg raise. No spinning bar this time.

Food:

quiche, sausage, oatmeal with peanut butter, whey with water.

3 cans tuna with mayo and spices, 2 low carb wraps, cooked spinach, whey with milk and whipping cream, pickles. A couple craisins.

Tuesday 4/16/13:

Back Pain: 0/10

Chinups: 4*10, last rep had a little bit of a kip, 1*5. all 1 minute rests.
Diamond Push ups: 5*15 w/1 min rests
Single Leg Calf Raises: 5*10 each w/1 min rests

Advanced Tuck Hold Front Lever: 4*8 seconds. I realized that my back wasn't flat previously, hence the lower times.
1 arm at a time muscle ups w/kick up: 6 reps each side.
Lat Pull down muscle up rotation: 3*15-20 reps with 45lbs. Just to work on the rotator cuff.

Rehab workout.

4/17/13 Wednesday:

Rest day. 0/10 back pain.

Did a little bit of manual labor, but not very much at all.

Food:

beef and broccoli, oats with peanut butter, chocolate, and banana

beef and broccoli, cake icing and a spoon.

4/18/13 Thursday:

Back Pain: 0/10.
Weight: 172.4

Pullups: 3*10,1*5 with 1 minute rests.
Straight Bar Dips: 3*10,2*5 w/1 minute rests. No bar humping.
Toes To Bar Leg Raises: 6*5 w/1-1:30 minute rests.
Pistol Squats w/2.5lb plate extended: 5*3

therapy and Pilates. Something else I can't remember. Therapy was supermans, some plank stuff, in and outs on a bosu ball, and some bosu ball squats and single leg balancing.

to lazy to remember what I ate.

4/19/13 Friday:

Back Pain: 1/10. It flared up once today, for less than a minute. I think I let my posture go. It wasted no time in telling me.

Weight: 173.8

chinups: 4*9.5+1, 1*5 w/1 minute rests.
Pistol Squats: 10*1 w/1.5lb plate extended out. each side of course.

Dips: 20,15,15,10 all with 1 minute rests.
Straddle Back Lever: 6*10 seconds, wide as I can. My hips were sagging.
Advanced Tuck Front Lever: 6*10 seconds. REALLY good. Very good form.
Some movement with flat back stuff and a small bit of therapy based stuff. No Pilates therapy today, I was just too tired.

food:

oatmeal with peanut butter and splenda, chicken wrap with cheese, brussel sprouts with a little butter, whey and water

Something for dinner.

No back pain at all from 4/19-4/25

Rested Saturday

Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday I basically just messed around. I did a push, pull, squat, and core movement each day, but I stayed away from anything that I had serious PR's for previously. I was trying to rest up a little bit.

4/25/13 Thursday:
Weight: 174.4
Back pain: 0/10

chinups: 3*10,1*7+3, 1*8. all with 1 min rests. FML this pissed me off. I don't know if it was my mentality or that my body just was too tired. I didn't feel tired. I tried to really amp myself up for this workout, and I'm starting to think that maybe that is the worst thing I can do. I don't seem to perform very well " amped up" Something to look into.

Pistol Squats: I tried these. They sucked today. A byproduct of the fail on the chin ups.

Dragon Flags: 1*5 of negatives with both legs out to maybe an 2-3 inches above the bench. 1*5 advanced tuck full movement. 1*5 w/1 leg out, full movement.

On Saturday I'm going to try the chin ups again. I'm not going to try and pump myself up, I'm just going to pull into myself. If that fails too, then we know I'm just over tired. If not, then we know that pumping up just doesn't work for me.

More to come later.

4/24/13 Friday:

Weight: 174.4
Back Pain: .5/10 like right before bed. That's it.

W1:

Pullups: 2*10 3*9+1,1*5 all with 1 minute rests
Straight Bar Dips: 3*10, 1*6 all w/1 minute rests
Back Lever: Tuck Back lever*1 minute. Advanced Tuck Lever* 3-4, 10-15 second holds

W2:
Pilates Therapy
Muscle up Work
Clutch Flag Holds
Planche work
Bunch of other crap.

Held a clutch flag for the first time. I was quite happy with that.

Food:
energy bar, small salad, half tuna salad sandwich, 2 cookies, apple

3 homemade cheeseburgers, little bit of baked beans, 7 cookies with milk

I think I'm just stalling out on my chins and pulls. I'm going to mess with the rest times and rep ranges, hopefully that will make them more interesting and more likely to progress.

Hey rad blog, I rehabbed my back for 1.5 years but now as strong as ever. I know each injury is different but there was light at the end of my tunnel, good luck to you

Hey rad blog, I rehabbed my back for 1.5 years but now as strong as ever. I know each injury is different but there was light at the end of my tunnel, good luck to you

Yeah, rehab is going well. It appears that I'll get back to most everything I want by summer. God willing.

4/27/13 Saturday:

Weight: 174.2
Back Pain: .5/10

W1:
Chinups: 5*10 w/2 min rests. easy.

Dragon Flags: 5 negatives, 5 reps with one leg out, 5 reps with one leg out for both legs, 5 reps each with one leg out and other leg in advanced tuck hold.

Pistol Squats: 10*1. These are getting easier and easier.

W2:

Russian Dips: 5*5

Push ups: 2*25, very controlled reps. Have to be careful with these, I can't let my back relax at all.

For some reason I was trashed after the first workout, so I didn't get much done later in the day.

food:

1.5 tuna sandwiches with cheese, little bit of baked beans, peanut butter, protein shake

2 chicken thighs, mashed rutabaga, peas, 5 chocolate chip cookies.

Sunday and Monday were complete rest days. No back pain.

Tuesday 4/30/13:

therapy workout.

Wednesday and Thursday were rest days.

Friday and Saturday I did some random crap.

Sunday I took off again.

5/6/13 Monday:

Pain: 0/10
Weight: 175.2

W1:

Chin ups: 1*20 reps
Wall supported handstand: 4 sets, and then 1 hold for 1 minute.
Muscle up Pulldowns: 5-10 sets of 5 working up to 75lbs for 4
Pistol Squats: 10 reps each side, going back and forth without stopping. PR!

Everything felt ridiculously easy this morning. Probably the best workout I've had in a long time. Glad I took the time off.

W2:
chinups 1*15,1*17
Back Lever: A bunch of sets of various variations.

Food:

2 beef steaks, 2 packs of frozen broccoli, protein shake with milk.

2 cans of tuna salad on a sandwich, asparagus, banana and peanut butter

Last edited:
5/7/13 Tuesday:

weight: 174.0

W1:

Chin ups: 1*18, 1*15

1 arm pushups on waist height bench: 5*5 each side. easy, but I'm progressing slowly on these to make sure that my core is strong enough.

Dragon Flags: 5 singles down to about 4 or so inches above the bench, hold for 10 seconds, come back up. Trying to train that last little part of the movement that I'm lacking.

Headbangers: 5*10

w2:

bike: 30 on/30 off at max resistance for 5 minutes. Kept it above 20 mph the entire time.

Therapy work and form work with the barbell. Everything looked pretty solid.

Last edited:
5/8/13 Wednesday:

Weight: unknown

Rest day. I did about 30 minutes of light bag work. Felt good, no pain.

food:

subway 6 inch breakfast sub, smoothie

chicken tenders with honey mustard, chips, salsa

I'm not sure what else.

5/9/13 Thursday:

Weight: 174.8

W1:

Chinups: 1*20
1 arm pushups to lvl 11 on power rack: 5*5 each side.

Clutch Flag: 3*20 seconds on right side, a bunch of horrible attempts on the left side. I don't know why, but I'm really having problems with that side.

False grip pullups and explosive pullups: a bunch

W2:

Deadlift: bar, 135,185,225,275,315,345 ( post injury match of pre injury PR) Tickled pink. felt really easy.

Pistols: 1*2 each side. I ran out of time.

food:

protein shake with milk

chicken tenders and a quarter of a whopper burger, small fry with ketchup. crap food, tasted like crap too.

Chicken and snow peas with gravy and cheese, protein shake. Delish.

I don't remember what I did on Friday. I know I did some handstand work, but that's all I remember. Regular old shiz.

Saturday, is the same. I know I did some parkour stuff, 1 arm pushups to a bar at the bottom of level 9.

Sunday was a rest day.

5/13/13 Monday:

I need to change my log title.

Weight: 175.6
Pain: 1/10 this morning. Hard to tell if it was back or just soreness.

W1:

chins: 1*15 as a warmup

Deadlift: bar,135,185,225,275,350*1 (5lb all time PR), 365*1(20lb all time PR)

All reps felt really easy. I'm just going to keep progressing like this until I hit a weight that I REALLY feel is my 1 rep max.

Bag work: 30 minutes of various stuff. Just getting back into the swing of things.

Found out that my old Muay Thai coach is opening a new gym close by. The MMA gym I went to closed down. Very happy, because that means I'll be able to start training up again.

W2:
Manual Labor
Clutch Flag: 3* 10 seconds each side.
Muscle up progressions work. 5 sets.
Handstand work: 2* handstand holds close to wall, 1*1 minute headstand.

food:
Before W1: 2 eggs made into egg salad, kind bar, 1tbsp of rasberry cream.

after W1: chicken wrap with spinach and ashiago cheese on low carb wrap. oats with peanut butter. protein shake

After W2:
rice, steak,onions and broccoli. Protein shake.

Before lifting workouts I like to eat. Everything else I prefer fasting.

Last edited:
I'm not going to try and catch up really, I'm just going to hit the big things.

Front Squat: 225lbs *1. this easily beats my pre injury PR

Press: 125*1. 10-15lbs off of my pre injury PR. To be expected since I'm not leaning back at all anymore. I can't afford to.

1 mile Run: 6:35. quickly moving towards my previous best of 5:54

Hit a perfect back lever for about a 5-10 second hold.

hit my first 1 arm pushup, and then did 5 singles each arm.

vertical jump is skyrocketing. I'm already way above what I was pre injury.

overall, everything is progressing except for my muscle ups. My chinups didn't progress this week because I didn't pay enough attention to them, but I knew that was going to happen.

still no pain.

today's a rest day.

my weight is holding at 175lbs.

Back