I can’t even do simple algebra anymore :(:(

I hear you. I am officially unable to help my kid with her math homework.

What do you do in Calc 4? Never heard of a Calc 4.
Guess if I knew that I would of been more help to my kid in Algebra lol. My major was Electrical Engineering you needed 4 calc classes for the major. I wotknforcan Electrical contractor doing construction. I rarely if ever use anything I studied. 100k well spent :(

I did all that in 3 semesters.
I've seen all 4 condescended into 2 in other universities.

Advanced Math 1 and Advanced Math 2 are basically refreshers of some of the more advanced and difficult concepts and work in the prior classes, as well as an intro to the more advanced stuff you may face if you continue forward in these fields.

I would call them, almost 'Prep courses'.

I hear you. I am officially unable to help my kid with her math homework.
That's not unusual these days. I have a cousin in high school and she sucks at math so my aunt asked me to help her out. I'm a professional engineer and have always found math very easy, from basic algebra to advanced calculus. Anyway, i'm helping my cousin by doing the problems and showing her the way I was taught. Only to find out there is some new way of doing the calculations and the way I do it is wrong even though I show the work step by step and get the right answer. I tried understanding the new method but it is so convoluted and not at all intuitive that I just said fuck it and told my cousin she was on her own.

No wonder kids these days are less and less capable with mathematics. The schools have somehow managed to fuck it up even for someone like me who enjoys math.

I've seen all 4 condescended into 2 in other universities.

Advanced Math 1 and Advanced Math 2 are basically refreshers of some of the more advanced and difficult concepts and work in the prior classes, as well as an intro to the more advanced stuff you may face if you continue forward in these fields.

I would call them, almost 'Prep courses'.

Condescended? What kind of uppity school is that?

Sorry.....I went away from the original question of Area and 2/3 of Length. I was more just talking about simplifying an equation in general. And I took out the fraction but that was making it even more difficult to grasp at first. Nothing to do with the original post.

So just a generic equation of like

A*(4*A)=1200 for example could be
A^2 / 4 = 1200 / 4
A^2 = 300
A = Square Root of 300
A=17.32

BUT I had to use a calculator to figure out Square Root. That's the part I"m missing in a generic simply equation now.

doing square roots in the mind is not easy. if what youre rooting is not a perfect square, the result is typically an irrational number that doesnt even have a repeating pattern. approximating a square root of something that is not a perfect square is more reasonable, if the answer does not need to be exact. i.e. sqrt(300) must be less than 20, as 20^2 = 400, and more than 10 as 10^2 = 100. with easy mental math math to define upper and lower bounds, you can then hone in on the integers that give you the values closest to 300.
17^2 = 289, 18^2 =324, so you know 17<sqrt(300)<18. all of that is probably more mental math than youll want to do, or possibly be capable of doing, and only results in an approximation. so i'd recommend using a calculator to do square roots.

I just don’t have a mind for math. I did well with Algebra in college, but if I don’t work on it, it leaves my mind quick.

Yeah, math is the only subject I struggled with when I was in college. But after figuring it out, it was pretty fun. Mathematics takes time to get a hang of.

Was the only subject I could do at college, struggled with a lot of concepts but got through engineering based solely on math basically.

doing square roots in the mind is not easy. if what youre rooting is not a perfect square, the result is typically an irrational number that doesnt even have a repeating pattern. approximating a square root of something that is not a perfect square is more reasonable, if the answer does not need to be exact. i.e. sqrt(300) must be less than 20, as 20^2 = 400, and more than 10 as 10^2 = 100. with easy mental math math to define upper and lower bounds, you can then hone in on the integers that give you the values closest to 300.
17^2 = 289, 18^2 =324, so you know 17<sqrt(300)<18. all of that is probably more mental math than youll want to do, or possibly be capable of doing, and only results in an approximation. so i'd recommend using a calculator to do square roots.

It's kind of weird, but you can use something called a series approximation to get you in the ball park:

sqrt(x + a) = sqrt(a) + x/(2*sqrt(a)) (approximately).

So, in your example, a = 400 and x = -100 so x + a = 400 - 100 = 300. So,

sqrt(300) = sqrt(400) + -100/(2*sqrt(400)) = 20 -100/40 = 17.50.

The point is, you pick numbers you know square roots to get an approximate answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back