I bet Jones pulls guard on DC.

This fight is very very simple in my opinion, DC will win a vast majority of clinch work and grappling with his only concern being a guillotine during a scramble. Neither man wants to take too many shots from the other, Jones will absolutely dominate DC if he can keep the fight at long range. If DC can close the distance and apply that patented Cain V like pressure consistently this is his fight. IMO the moments when DC closes the distance is where this fight will be determined.
Honestly I believe this is Cormier's fight to lose, I really would like him to put Jones on his back and keep him there. This should be Jones first fight where he has a grappling disadvantage and I expect to see this fact make his striking and clinch more hesitant but due to Cormier's performance last night I can safely say this fight will be my second most-anticipated fight of the year, behind only Weidman and Machida.

good point, i see the fight pretty similar to you, i think jones is too long and too fast, with too diverse of a striking game for dc at range, and i do believe it would be very difficult for dc to close the distance. but dc does have the clear cut advantage once that distance is closed. but thats a good point you brought up, about how dc's grappling advantage will affect jj's striking. great point! i could see him being a bit more tentative with a lot of the kicks he throws.

would you be able to understand that jones is fast and can actually do a good job of using range? were you able to catch how he kept rashad at range and then elbowed the sht out of his face?

Would you be able to understand that 'staying out of his range' does not mean the same thing as 'being in his range, but not being hit by his strikes?'

if Jones wants to stay at range, he will have to kick. if he throws a kick, DC will run him over with a weird looking takedown. this is a very interesting fight. jones needs to hurt DC early if he is going to stay off his back.

Smother him by doing what?

Chest to Chest preasure, same way Brock used to work and similar to the way DC worked over Hendo. This isn't rocket science and you don't have to be a groundhog expert to understand this. IF DC can close the range and take Jones to the ground and keeps him on his back than DC is gonna win, HOWEVER that was a lot of "and" I just used. Gonna be an interesting fight to watch no matter who you are.

I think when Jones fights DC as soon as DC gets a hold of him Jones pulls guard and tosses elbows up at DC from his guard.

The only time we have seen Jones on his back was against Rampage and against rashad, all of which lasted less than 10 seconds. With the way Jones fights and uses his

elbows Its clear being in jones guard is not a safe place for anyone.

Againt DC jones will be the far
better grappler. DC is a great
wrestler but this is mma and in
mma wrestling is only means to a end.

I give the slight edge in wrestling to DC and Im sure jones knows that
DC has the edge too, DC is built to
wrestle he has the perfect body type.

First you point to the FACT that Jones has only been on his back 20 seconds, then you continue to blather that he is clearly too dangerous off his back... Do you even listen to yourself?

Daniel will grab, lift, launch and slam any man in the world who lays hands on him...he is just that elite as a standing grappler..... There will be no opportunity given by Cormier to pull guard.

Last edited:
I can safely say this fight will be my second most-anticipated fight of the year, behind only Weidman and Machida.

Problem is: the fight won't be happening until 2015.

Unless Jones v Gus 2 gets cancelled, for some reason.

I think when Jones fights DC as soon as DC gets a hold of him Jones pulls guard and tosses elbows up at DC from his guard.

The only time we have seen Jones on his back was against Rampage and against rashad, all of which lasted less than 10 seconds. With the way Jones fights and uses his elbows Its clear being in jones guard is not a safe place for anyone.

Againt DC jones will be the far better grappler. DC is a great wrestler but this is mma and in mma wrestling is only means to a end.

I give the slight edge in wrestling to DC and Im sure jones knows that DC has the edge too, DC is built to wrestle he has the perfect body type.

your assumptions are flawed..

Chest to Chest preasure, same way Brock used to work and similar to the way DC worked over Hendo. This isn't rocket science and you don't have to be a groundhog expert to understand this. IF DC can close the range and take Jones to the ground and keeps him on his back than DC is gonna win, HOWEVER that was a lot of "and" I just used. Gonna be an interesting fight to watch no matter who you are.
Chest to chest pressure? What the heck is that going to do to jones?

The only time we have seen Jones on his back was against Rampage and against rashad, all of which lasted less than 10 seconds. With the way Jones fights and uses his

elbows Its clear being in jones guard is not a safe place for anyone.

Againt DC jones will be the far
better grappler. DC is a great
wrestler but this is mma and in
mma wrestling is only means to a end.

I give the slight edge in wrestling to DC and Im sure jones knows that
DC has the edge too, DC is built to
wrestle he has the perfect body type.

First you point to the FACT that Jones has only been on his back 20 seconds, then you continue to blather that he is clearly too dangerous off his back... Do you even listen to yourself?

Daniel will grab, lift, launch and slam any man in the world who lays hands on him... There will be no time given by Cormier to pull guard.

I think Jon should be training HARD on his Jujitsu, he's getting manhandled-no doubt, his only real options are a submission or have the fight stopped on cuts.

Chest to chest pressure? What the heck is that going to do to jones?

Its gonna hold him on the ground where he won't have an answer and won't be able to get up to use his range. While on top DC won't generate a ton of power but can certainly keep throwing little shots that will add up over time. DC wins via UD after he spends the better part of the fight holding jones down and establishing dominate position the whole time. I don't see this fight being exciting but I do see it being the last defence of Jones current title run.

i-1.jpg

perfect

If he pulls guard, it would be the first time. I don

I think Jones is a smart guy. He won't pull guard unless he's in desperation mode, and probably not even then.

DC will be out of range all night. His shot isn't fast enough and IF he were to get in the clinch we've already seen that Jones is no slouch in tight.

I really don't see what people think he has for JBJ. Too slow, not as athletic, short height and reach. Maybe a strength advantage but it's going to take a lot more than that to beat Jones.

Back