I am training myself for the 2019 Golden Gloves

Some States still have a Novice division in their Golden Gloves. Whether or not they do is up to the State. Nevada doesn't, but someone was telling me just a couple of days ago about another State that does (not Illinois) but I forget which one it was.

Detroit has novice, and open. Only open advances to Nationals.

New England has a novice division for the Golden Gloves. I’m surprised more states don’t have novice GG. It packs the tournament and provides some of the best fights.

I don't know why they don't. I could assume because they don't have enough people to sign up. Maybe MMA comps are starting to take over? Guys want amateur MMA fights, and there are a lot of those.

Or

Guys have done MMA, and aren't allowed to fight Novice anymore. I think it's in the rules, don't know off hand. I gave it a passing glance.

In any case, we have both locally.

@Eli1015

If you don't have a novice class at your Golden Gloves, get 5 bouts before the tournament, and elect to go open class.

Guys have done MMA, and aren't allowed to fight Novice anymore. I think it's in the rules, don't know off hand. I gave it a passing glance.

In any case, we have both locally.
That has always been the case until just recently. Now you can technically apply for a variance that would allow you to compete as a novice if you’ve had past MMA experience. I don’t know how liberal USABOXING is when it comes from granting the waiver though.

That has always been the case until just recently. Now you can technically apply for a variance that would allow you to compete as a novice if you’ve had past MMA experience. I don’t know how liberal USABOXING is when it comes from granting the waiver though.

We had a guy who had ammy MMA experience, no boxing bouts, and I think they made him fight open at the tournament. We do have a novice division. I think that is what happened, if I recall correctly.

But yeah, the younger the guys, the less overall they seem to care for boxing in some places which is sad to see.

I thought you were training yourself as in without a gym when I read the title. Anyways you should be good for your boxing match. I tried to get a fight In boxing for a one night event, and it did not workout because i don't like to go into a fight with no training camp. Plus I was not in a gym (this was from earlier this year and yes I did post a thread about it). So I'm not the best person to ask, but if you want to win the fight spar, padwork, drills, and hit the heavy bag. The reason why I didn't follow through with it, is because the training partners I have (which this seems like a recurring thing) they either train with me for a few days or they are busy people and/or get busier with other endeavours. Good luck.

I thought it was either 154 or 152. I get numbers mixed up sometimes, especially with the pros being different. Light middleweight (154).

In any case, no, he didn't. He was a very determined street tough, who believed in himself.

He claims he learned from "YouTube". Pros at the gym get on him for saying that.

He learned through being self taught and sparring a lot (good guys).

There's two reasons this was possible:

1) your friend has some exceptional athletic gift that allows him to negate disadvantages in technique

2) no one good entered at the time he did.

Either way those are two things to not count on, on a whim, when someone is trying to enter a Golden Gloves competition completely self-trained. I feel this way for novice, going "open" is pretty much a guaranteed ass kicking coming.

There's two reasons this was possible:

1) your friend has some exceptional athletic gift that allows him to negate disadvantages in technique

2) no one good entered at the time he did.

Either way those are two things to not count on, on a whim, when someone is trying to enter a Golden Gloves competition completely self-trained. I feel this way for novice, going "open" is pretty much a guaranteed ass kicking coming.

He spars at the gym, and watches a ton of tape. He was sparring with open class fighters with 40 + fights when he started, sparring with pros, and getting a lot of time in. His drive came from people telling him he couldn't do it. He is a good fighter, and regularly goes to nationals.

Completely self trained? None of us are completely self trained, learn a lot in sparring. We give each other feedback. But at the gym the trainers don't shadow over you. They may watch you spar, give feedback, and corner you. However, they rarely take you from scratch, they don't even too much watch out for you until you prove you have potential.

Our gym was number two at the tournament this year behind Tony Harrison's gym. They put out solid guys. May not work for everyone, more the exception I guess.

He spars at the gym, and watches a ton of tape. He was sparring with open class fighters with 40 + fights when he started, sparring with pros, and getting a lot of time in. His drive came from people telling him he couldn't do it. He is a good fighter, and regularly goes to nationals.

Completely self trained? None of us are completely self trained, learn a lot in sparring. We give each other feedback. But at the gym the trainers don't shadow over you. They may watch you spar, give feedback, and corner you. However, they rarely take you from scratch, they don't even too much watch out for you until you prove you have potential.

Our gym was number two at the tournament this year behind Tony Harrison's gym. They put out solid guys. May not work for everyone, more the exception I guess.

YouTube videos and sparring pros and open amateurs from the get-go? Hmm. What's his name? If he regularly goes to Nationals he should by very easy to find

YouTube videos and sparring pros and open amateurs from the get-go? Hmm. What's his name? If he regularly goes to Nationals he should by very easy to find

I'm not too much for name dropping. He won open again locally, and advanced to TN back in October. He does spar pros, and has been sparring pros. Our "gym leader" (his sparring partner) fights on the Claressa Shields' undercard (Showtime).

He is easy to find, but I'm not going to put his name out to entertain an online conversation. No point. What I've told you is authentic; no reason to boost. lol

Boost what? If your friend is going to the biggest tournaments in the U.S. and qualifying for Nationals then he's already out there. You brought him up in the first place, why get so secretive? The Eastern Qualifier was broadcast live on YouTube, everyone here knows which of my fighters competed. I had 2 there. So which one was your friend? I just want to see him box, no big deal.

Boost what? If your friend is going to the biggest tournaments in the U.S. and qualifying for Nationals then he's already out there. You brought him up in the first place, why get so secretive? The Eastern Qualifier was broadcast live on YouTube, everyone here knows which of my fighters competed. I had 2 there. So which one was your friend? I just want to see him box, no big deal.

I said it as, I know the guy. It's not even that big of an issue to me. I never name drop, it's just a personal thing. If he was around, looking at these posts over my shoulder and said okay it's nothing, I'd put his name out there.

I said boost, because the perception to me seems like you thought I was lying. Almost like a "G Check", they use to call it lol. I know how it goes, it's a thing in the boxing community. "What gym?", "what's your record?", etc etc. Knowing boxers, and being around high level fighters is normal. So that is why I said no reason to boost.

It's the holiday, if I remember this conversation next time I see him, I'll see if he cares about me posting his name. Other than that, congrats on your fighters' success. I think we only had one win in TN.

Chicago Golden gloves to be specific. So here's the run down. I have been training off and on Different styles since I was probably 17-18. Technically a yellow belt in TKD when I was like 12. But didn't seriously start training until about 17. Im 24 now. Started at an MMA Gym here in Chicago called victory MMA. Learned the basics but gave it up for a couple of years to work.

Been moving around gyms for the past few years learning from different coaches. But some bad luck always seems to happen. Injured my back and knees and took like 2 years off.

Come back and Now have decided to try out for the Senior Novice division in the Chicago Golden gloves in March 2019. I have made the bold decision to train myself for this. I know sounds crazy. But here's the deal. I'm a certified personal trainer with a lot of knowledge of excercise and how to get into great shape.

I do train at a boxing gym called Windy City boxing and have been here for about a month and 10 days now. Basically my routine is. Mon, wed, fri- Boxing specific training. Cardio. Heavy bags rounds. Shadown boxing. Ring circles. Double end bag. Sparring(Although haven't started sparring again yet). Tues,Thurs- Conditioning/Lifting. Saturday and Sunday off.

Current stats. 6 feet tall. 181.7 last weigh in. Was 190 a month and a half ago. Trying to be 165 come March for the event. Eating on a caloric Deficit until then. I'm a long and lanky guy who loves using the jab. I have a more defensive boxing style like Floyd, but fight hands down/Low like RJJ.

Just wanted to let you guys know my journey and if you have any advice let me know. Thanks.

You'll be fine. Can I have your Sherdog account when you iz deadz?

Friend, it would not be better to start with an internal tournament, then amateur then a tournament of this level.

I do not think it's good to be jumping from gym to gym.

FWIW - I never did expect to get an answer. Lol

FWIW - I never did expect to get an answer. Lol
Watch out before you call somebody a liar! My friend won gold in the Olympics and went on to unify all the belts in 5 different weight classes just from watching Rocky movies and self-training in the mountains. Not gonna say his name though.

I'd advise not to do it. I know you're not likely to heed the warning but I'll leave you something to consider. The guy in this video in the grey outfit won the Chicago Golden Gloves as novice, he only had 3 flights when he won it. He recently had his Pro debut, but he still only had about 6 amateur fights. Adult notice divisions are no joke:

Keep in mind my fighter in the green is Elite Open division and has fought in 2 National Qualifiers and has over 20 amateur bouts.

This is one of my guys in the adult novice division of the Roy Jones Jr. Invitational last year:

This is one of my other guys in the Adult novice division of the Gene Lewis invitational last year, against the Arizona Golden Gloves Champion:

Agreed.

Going into any fighting "training yourself" is a bad idea.

Unless your seasoned pro with a wealth of experience under your belt and you kind of just venture out on your own which I've seen fighters do and be successful....but starting out...Never a good idea and usually ends badly.

If you're not a naturally gifted fighter and you don't have experience in sparing or even street fighting (It's always something) it's not a good idea to go and fight Golden Gloves.
Still, it's your life, and givin it a shot won't hurt, it may hurt after the fights tho. :D

Last edited:
Agreed.

Going into any fighting "training yourself" is a bad idea.

Unless your seasoned pro with a wealth of experience under your belt and you kind of just venture out on your own which I've seen fighters do and be successful....but starting out...Never a good idea and usually ends badly.

He mentioned that he's training in a boxing gym so he should be ok as long as he's got sparring partners and people who can help him out and teach him a trick or 2.

I'd never go into a Boxing tournament without months of preparation inside a boxing gym.

The last thing you want to do is to be huffing and puffin in there.

Back