I am sick - Pneumonia

ACzeMiky

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi guys, I am sick right now. I was hospitalized with pneumonia and I have a question for you. Will it affect somehow my performance in the ring? I heard that there will be something like a "scar" on your lungs after you will recover from pneumonia. I hope it won't affect my breathing. I'm quite worried. Does anyone of you have any experience with it? Thank you guys.

Have never had any experience with it, but don't listen to anyone other than your doctor.

Hope you get better soon.

I had pneumonia as an adolescent and my ability to run long distances was never the same afterwards. Saying that, you can still do well by training in accordance to your abilities. That will never change.

It can, but it's not common, and when it does it is known as Pulmonary Fibrosis.
Small scars are of no consequence and it is highly unlikely you will have extensive enough (if any) so I would not dwell on it.

I've had it 4 times in my life with no issues and I still train 5-6 days a week.
Aside from that, I'm a medical provider and I see it a lot and the imaging after.

Best thing I can tell you is even after it clears up, start back SLOWLY.
Your body will be weak as well but even when the fluid and the majority of the symptoms are gone, your lungs will still be susceptible to damage and stress so just take your time and you will recover well.

And lastly, as others said, listen to your doctor and finish your antibiotic regimen which I imagine is either Biaxin or Levofloxacin.
Most important part, and if you are having issues getting a productive cough, go to your local drugstore and get something with guaifenesin in it and it will be quite helpful.

Also, depending on the severity, propping yourself up at night a bit will help as when you lay down the fluid covers more area and alveoli, which will likely result in restless sleep and jolting awake.

My particular strain was a nasty one and I was down for some time, so be prepared to take 4-6 weeks to get back to your normal self.

Best of luck, and I hope you feel better.

I had pneumonia as an adolescent and my ability to run long distances was never the same afterwards. Saying that, you can still do well by training in accordance to your abilities. That will never change.

Wow. What you wrote quite scares me. I hope I will be able to run normally. I was always doing about 3.5 miles run and then interval sprints so I hope it will be ok...

Tachy: Thank you for your reply.

Wow. What you wrote quite scares me. I hope I will be able to run normally. I was always doing about 3.5 miles run and then interval sprints so I hope it will be ok...

I wasn't saying you wont be able to run or train. When I was younger, I could run forever (virtually) and I enjoyed it. After I had Pneumonia, I just couldn't meet my own expectations, every run was significantly harder and I stopped enjoying running. I kept running anyway for the next 15 years to supplement my other sports. I could still run 5km in about 16-17 minutes and run over 10km at a fair pace. You will be able to do 3.5 mile runs and interval sprints. You just may not be able to do it as easily as if you did not get pneumonia.

I wasn't saying you wont be able to run or train. When I was younger, I could run forever (virtually) and I enjoyed it. After I had Pneumonia, I just couldn't meet my own expectations, every run was significantly harder and I stopped enjoying running. I kept running anyway for the next 15 years to supplement my other sports. I could still run 5km in about 16-17 minutes and run over 10km at a fair pace. You will be able to do 3.5 mile runs and interval sprints. You just may not be able to do it as easily as if you did not get pneumonia.

Well, at the beginning I am counting on that because now when I am ill I will have no endurance so I will have to start from the bottom and build my condition and endurance again... Right now I gas out after one punch ( I am not training now but I just tried to punch heavy bag so I know it).

That may happen in .00001 percent of healthy individuals who get pneumonia and largely only if the pneumonia is caused my extensive factors like an infection from inhaling particles.

Put it out of your mind and just listen to your doc and take it easy when you return.

I feel bad for Fire, should like he had a rough go of it, but it is just not common and I can't stress that enough.
Worrying will only make it worse.
Do as medically directed and you'll be fine.

Feel free to shoot me a PM anytime

That may happen in .00001 percent of healthy individuals who get pneumonia and largely only if the pneumonia is caused my extensive factors like an infection from inhaling particles.

Put it out of your mind and just listen to your doc and take it easy when you return.

I feel bad for Fire, should like he had a rough go of it, but it is just not common and I can't stress that enough.
Worrying will only make it worse.
Do as medically directed and you'll be fine.

Feel free to shoot me a PM anytime

Listen to Tachy. He seems to know more about it than I. I only really have my experience to go on.

Back