I am DESTROYED

did the doctor say when you can train?

They said I should not train for at least 5 months. I'll start rehab soon and I really don't want to rush things, my knee's got to heal 100%.

Someone mentioned that I should avoid takedowns for the first couple of weeks or so when I start training again.
This is exactly what my coach told me.

The pain isn't that bad anymore now. I'll be back.

You will be fine dude, just get on the mats and train. Don't let a knee injury stop you from doing what you love. If worse comes to worst, just don't roll with leg locks.

On a serious note.. take the time to heal after surgery and slowly see how you are able to train. I would be very careful and make sure everyone knows about the injury. Get well soon!

Someone mentioned that I should avoid takedowns for the first couple of weeks or so when I start training again.
This is exactly what my coach told me.

Great to hear it all went well and the pain is subsiding a little!

Yeah. It will take a while for the stability to return due to atrophy. Your PT might recommend a knee brace (maybe with metal hinges) to compensate for the initial compromised stability until you rebuild your strength in that leg. Don't worry: it comes back quickly. Take the recovery slowly; you don't want to have to do this again in a year.

On that matter, listen to your physical therapist word for word. :)

Avoid compressing the knee for a while. Sitting back on your knees and compressing/loading it with someone in your butterfly guard will put a lot of stress on the repair. Take the time to work on other parts of your game that need attention.

Good luck and don't go crazy!

Back home from hospital since tuesday. Don't feel much pain anymore, I just hate to not be able to walk. I actually sit on the couch almost all day watching TV, playing xbox 360 or surfing the net.

I watched a lot of BJJ vids on youtube and on monday I'll start with some light exercises for me leg.

My trainer and a few of the guys I train with came to my appartement yesterday. We watched the UFC 99 DVD, Wand got robbed, I still believe it. ;-)

Man, it's kinda surreal that I won't be able to train now for a long time. Shit is annoying.
The only good thing about it is that I'll have a lot more time for university stuff, learning, reading books and shit like that.

I really appreciate that you guys feel with me. BJJ guys gotta stick together.

cheers

LEON

Good luck man, I realy hope everything turns out for the best.
By the way your english is excellent lol

Play darkfall, ill hook it up with some newb gear and field any questions you have on gaming or bjj

Hey bud, if you're at a point where you can't do hard training anymore because of your knees, then maybe you should just drill technique and get exercise doing low impact exercises. It's not worth risking being in a weelchair/ walking with a limp for the rest of your life.

At first, sorry for my english, I may use the wrong words sometime, I hope you understand though.

I am a BJJ blue belt and got my 4rd stripe a month ago. I really want to focus on training now to get my purple in december or maybe early next year.

Something fucked up my plans big time....

Here's the story...

3 weeks ago I noticed a stitching pain in my left knee after training. I thought it won't be anything too bad and the next day I noticed nothing. I dealed with this stitching pain until last monday.
We trained judo throws in BJJ. Somehow I slipped and my knee bend to the side. I noticed that somethings really fucked up. My coach called da ambalance (at least I am still joking ;-) and in hospital they did a scan.
The doc told me that I had a lot of liquid in my knee and my meniscus was literally DESTROYED.
While slipping during the throw my knee popped out and due the impact when I fell to the mat my kneecap damaged the meniscus very bad.
The stitching pain was because of the instability of my knee cap, that's what the doc told me.

Bad thing is I had surgery on my left knee back in 2008 due to a torn patella. I was almost out for a year.

Now I'll need surgery again. The docs told me that I'll be out of training BJJ for at least 6 months. The doc recommended to my coach to talk with me about a possible "retirement of the sport" because my knee could be completely useless after another injury.

Are you guys able to imagine how the fuck I feel know?
I LOVE BJJ. I love training, drills, rolling, some tournament from time to time.
I was really close getting my purple belt and now I may not be able to train anymore?

I'll have surgery next monday, 9th august. I pray to god that everything will be fine and I'll be back on the mat sometime next year. I'll take all the time I need to recover because I don't want to risk a permanent damage in my knee which would stop me from training

BJJ.

Thx for replies

Leon

All you need to do is take your time, know your limits and the signals that your body gives you. I see people coming back with much worse damages. Doctors r like that trying to play it safe. 6 years ago a doctor told me to retire becouse of a small hernia on my neck (no nerve damage just really small) really screwed up my schycology, but that didnt put me down, i done physiotherapy trained and that was it. Neck hasnt bothered me in long time.

Plus i had surgury on Miniscus, i was out for a about a month... pffft big deal. You be back sooner than six months. Thats what i believe. But keep in mind that if somethin Hurts TAKE CARE of it do exam see whats wrong, if you have checked it maybe you could avoid the damage.

take care.

Good luck man, I realy hope everything turns out for the best.
By the way your english is excellent lol

My english is excellent? Really? Thx dude.

All you need to do is take your time, know your limits and the signals that your body gives you. I see people coming back with much worse damages. Doctors r like that trying to play it safe. 6 years ago a doctor told me to retire becouse of a small hernia on my neck (no nerve damage just really small) really screwed up my schycology, but that didnt put me down, i done physiotherapy trained and that was it. Neck hasnt bothered me in long time.

Plus i had surgury on Miniscus, i was out for a about a month... pffft big deal. You be back sooner than six months. Thats what i believe. But keep in mind that if somethin Hurts TAKE CARE of it do exam see whats wrong, if you have checked it maybe you could avoid the damage.

take care.

I have a bulging disc in my lower back, according to my doctor, mabe more then one. Do people still have a career in combat sports with this kind of injury. I was told not to run, lift or do Jiu-Jitsu anymore at all.

HOwever I have heard of fighters fighting through this as well as weightlifter lifting with multiple disc's damaged. Gives me some hope I guess.

hope you have a speedy recovery dude! are knee problems like this common for martial arts? youve got me worried lol

hope you have a speedy recovery dude! are knee problems like this common for martial arts? youve got me worried lol

Well, I played football(soccer) for more almost 15 years, so my knees were already pretty damn fucked up when I started BJJ.

I can say one thing, BJJ doesn't make it any better. ;-)

Sorry to hear that man, hopefully after a 6 month break you can get back trainning for years and years.

I hope so.

I am a week at home now after surgery doing nothing. Reha will start soon, my doc told me to slow down a lil bit because the wound hasn't healed yet.

I learned one thing in this week. Being bored is one of the most fucked up feelings you can imagine... ;-)
I am just surfing the net, my girlfriend is asking me all the time "are you ok? you hungry? want something to drink?"
Yeah, I really appreciate that she's so nice doing everything for me and supporting me, but the only thing I want is to train BJJ. All the vids I watched online, Anderson's epic win against Sonnen, all this stuff drives me crazy. I want to train so bad and learn new techniques and improve my game.

Shit, I am going to ask my girlfriend if she wants to be "really nice" to me for half an hour or something...;-)

See ya guys.

Hey Leon,

In a few months you'll likely tell the next guy who fucked his knee that it happened to you and that you're back nevertheless :)

You very likely still have decades of martial arts ahead of you, so if you put things in perspective, 6 months is nothing, even if it does suck sh!t during those 6 months, no doubt.

People do recover from the injury you have. Juts give it time, be patient and smart.

Also, that's a personal thing, and it's a terrible thing to say, but maybe you should put your mind off combat sports in the meantime. It will make you obsess less about it.

Cheers and remember that 6 months is just a very small piece of the 2 or 3 or more decades of training you have ahead of you.

I have a bulging disc in my lower back, according to my doctor, mabe more then one. Do people still have a career in combat sports with this kind of injury. I was told not to run, lift or do Jiu-Jitsu anymore at all.

However I have heard of fighters fighting through this as well as weightlifter lifting with multiple disc's damaged. Gives me some hope I guess.

With a hope of not thread-jacking Leon's thread, in addition to the 2 knee surgeries I've also had 2 back surgeries.

My L4/L5 and L5/S1 discs are ruptured. After two micro-discectomy surgeries (one just before my blue belt, and once 9 months later), I'm still rolling and got my purple in January of this year.

But that is my story. BJJ (in addition to stretching) helps me keep my back limber. In fact, if I don't roll, I'm sore after about 2-3 days. I'm a trainwreck from being overweight for a lot of years before I started training.

Talk to your surgeon and your physical therapist and let them know what you'd like to do.

I am a week at home now after surgery doing nothing. Reha will start soon, my doc told me to slow down a lil bit because the wound hasn't healed yet.

The incision wounds suck, especially when it is uncovered and you brush it up against something. Or... hit it against the coffee table (SON OF A BITCH!!).

I learned one thing in this week. Being bored is one of the most fucked up feelings you can imagine... ;-)
I am just surfing the net, my girlfriend is asking me all the time "are you ok? you hungry? want something to drink?"
Yeah, I really appreciate that she's so nice doing everything for me and supporting me, but the only thing I want is to train BJJ. All the vids I watched online, Anderson's epic win against Sonnen, all this stuff drives me crazy. I want to train so bad and learn new techniques and improve my game.

This is going to sound VERY trite and patronizing but please don't take it that way.

Try to find a hobby unrelated to BJJ.

I know, I know. With the end goal being able to roll again, it is hard to focus on anything else. But for your (and your girlfriend's) sanity, find something that:

1) Gets you out of the house
2) Lets you hang out somewhere and do something relaxing

Mine was going to paint pottery. I AM NOT SHITTING YOU. People can give me all the shit they want (I've already had to give up 2 man-cards for this), but I could give a damn. It helped me get through the recovery easier and was mentally relaxing.

I painted some BJJ-related stuff on those mugs and bowls (logos in particular). I sucked at first, but got OK after a few visits. Mentally, it was great to be doing something different, passing time, and being creative.

But, anything that gets you out and doing something different will probably help you and your girlfriend.

If somebody's never been laid up for an extended period of time (more than 4 weeks), they won't know what people will resort to stay sane. You might find something you never knew you would like before.

Well,Uncle Skippy, I am really not that talented as a painter, in fact when I draw a dog you'd think it's a cat.

What I am thinking about is starting online poker again. I used to be kinda semi-pro until last year and I was really succesfull in "lower" limits.
I am also thinking about spending december and january on the Canarian Island Tenerife, where my father's family lives. I got a appartement over there which tourist rent during the summertime, my uncle manages this stuff for me.
I'll check how I can do my rehab on Tenerife, if I find something good me and my girlfriend will spend like 2 months there to get our heads free and just to relax.

Get well man. Ease back into bjj. Maybe start with some easy positional drills, but take it easy on the knee while you recover.

Well,Uncle Skippy, I am really not that talented as a painter, in fact when I draw a dog you'd think it's a cat.

What I am thinking about is starting online poker again. I used to be kinda semi-pro until last year and I was really succesfull in "lower" limits.
I am also thinking about spending december and january on the Canarian Island Tenerife, where my father's family lives. I got a appartement over there which tourist rent during the summertime, my uncle manages this stuff for me.
I'll check how I can do my rehab on Tenerife, if I find something good me and my girlfriend will spend like 2 months there to get our heads free and just to relax.

At the 2 month recovery point, as your doctor about Tai-Chi.

At the 5 month point, ask him about (hot Bikram) Yoga.

Back