I am DESTROYED

Man, there were guys having even worse stuff there, keep your head up and don't give up!!

You'll get well soon and earn your purple than aim for the brown maan ;)))

Wish you all the best :)

Eh, you can always get a full knee replacement surgery, silly for them to say useless.

Sorry to hear that, mate. Horrible thing to happen to anyone, good luck with your recovery.

I feel for you. That really sucks.

Don't give up hope man, just look at all the professional fighters who get injured and still come back time and time again!

Check out this vid for some inspiration dude!

That's more depressing than inspiring. You didn't notice that Wanderlei thanks the gods that his meniscus wasn't damaged? And that comes from a man who ripped three ligaments and broke three ribs.

Fuck man, I'm really sorry to hear this, that is horrible. Don'y worry because doctors are not always right. He is only telling you things to protect you, it doesn't mean anything. You will train for the rest of your life and you will get your blackbelt as long as you keep training. Have faith in yourself and don't give up.

Yo hablo espanol si no entendio e falo poca portuguese.

That's more depressing than inspiring. You didn't notice that Wanderlei thanks the gods that his meniscus wasn't damaged? And that comes from a man who ripped three ligaments and broke three ribs.

Hehe sorry, didn't notice that :) But still...

I would try to find a doctor that is specifically a sports orthopedist. I have torn my MCL, dislocated and broken my patella in two, and damaged other random ligaments in my knee. He has always been able to tell me exactly how these injuries relate to the sports I participate in because it is his expertise. Other doctors will always be more cautious if they don't know the type of activity that the patient is going to be doing.

I would get a second opinion. As most of the posters already pointed out, some doctors want to impress upon their patients a very conservative approach to recovery.

That said, if you see another physician (try to see a sports special orthopedic guy, they usually understand the importance of sports to some of our lives) and you get the same advice, listen to the guy. I know you love Jiu Jitsu, but you probably love your leg more.

And to the guys talking about 'Oh I've never heard of an amputated limb or anything permanent', I'm sorry but thats just wishful thinking. Do a Google search and you'll find reports on deaths caused by Judo injuries.

I had a bucket handle tear on my meniscus and had half of it removed... I was rolling a week after surgery. I hope the best for your brother and wish you a quick recovery.

I would get a second opinion. As most of the posters already pointed out, some doctors want to impress upon their patients a very conservative approach to recovery.

That said, if you see another physician (try to see a sports special orthopedic guy, they usually understand the importance of sports to some of our lives) and you get the same advice, listen to the guy. I know you love Jiu Jitsu, but you probably love your leg more.

And to the guys talking about 'Oh I've never heard of an amputated limb or anything permanent', I'm sorry but thats just wishful thinking. Do a Google search and you'll find reports on deaths caused by Judo injuries.

i searched and all i could find were deaths related to neck injuries, that is why we do break falls everyday, learn to go with the flow, this guy has a meniscus problem and with surgery and rest he will be training until he is an old man, medicine is advancing everyday, no negative nancys please

lol call da ambalance...he leakin!

hope you get better, just stay positive and study your stuff online while you recover =)

Yeah, I noticed that.

A buddy I train with talked to me yesterday and reminded me of guys like Minotauro Nogueira.
He was right, Nog was run over by a truck, almost a year in hospital, long time in coma and he still managed to become a HW Champion and one of the greatest legends of the sport.

I think I should still achieve to get my purple belt with this "minor" injury in comparison to Antonio's.

I will definetily go to another doc to build up a plan for my rehab and I won't start too early. I have to be careful now and let it heal up 100%.

Maybe someone is interested, I am only 21 years old, 22 on 30th august.
I played football(soccer) for almost 15 years (from 5 years to 19) and I had some problems with my knee back then.

To Hades666, muchas gracias por tu repuesta, mi padre es de las islas canarias(tenerife) y mi madre es alemana.

I don't think you are 'destroyed' dude. Think of some people who maybe worse off than you. In my son's tap dance recital, all the kids were dressed up and so excited in the auditorium for the dance show. There was this kid that walked in with his parents, he was about 8 years old. He didn't have any legs. He was walking with prostethics. He came to see his brother dance in the show.

Humans are the best at confronting reality and finding solutions to their problems. Take time to heal your body and find ways to start training again. I'm sure you will find ways to overcome this because you are human. Humans know survival...

I would try to find a doctor that is specifically a sports orthopedist. I have torn my MCL, dislocated and broken my patella in two, and damaged other random ligaments in my knee. He has always been able to tell me exactly how these injuries relate to the sports I participate in because it is his expertise. Other doctors will always be more cautious if they don't know the type of activity that the patient is going to be doing.

This.

Remember the legal side of things, a doctor can never be too cautious :).

Maybe someone is interested, I am only 21 years old, 22 on 30th august.
I played football(soccer) for almost 15 years (from 5 years to 19) and I had some problems with my knee back then.

Haha, you really have picked sports that do bad things to the knees. Soccer really wears down your knees and grappling can put some unfortunate pressure on the knees in some bad angles. Both my trainers have had several knee surgeries and at least one of them have had meniscus problems.

Haha, you really have picked sports that do bad things to the knees. Soccer really wears down your knees and grappling can put some unfortunate pressure on the knees in some bad angles. Both my trainers have had several knee surgeries and at least one of them have had meniscus problems.

I know that football and BJJ can fuck your knees up badly but what should I do? Playing chess? Sitting at home all day playing Xbox 360?

But yeah, I have to agree with you. Football is some bad shit. My trainer's achilles thing (don't know the name) was ripped in two during training. I could hear it snap.

having to sit on the sidelines sucks big time. i know this firsthand.

i hope you have a speedy recovery cuz nothing hurts more than having to watch and not being able to do anything.

good luck dude.

I too feel your pain man.

I injured my back 5 months ago and havn't been able to deadlift, squat or do any type of grappling since. My back hurts all the time, standing or setting.

I went to a Chiropractor about two weeks ago. She did an X ray and told me that I had a bulging disc in my lower lumbar. She told me not to be running anymore, Lifting heavy weights or grappling any more. Told me to take up swimming or walking in the park........ WTF?????? :mad: What am i supposed to do with that? I have no interest in anything other then running, lifting and combat sports. :icon_cry2

I dunno, I hope shes wrong. I've been realy depressed about it for months now hoping it gets better.

Do people continue to lift and train with disc problems?

Kills me because I'm only 22 years old.

To Hades666, muchas gracias por tu repuesta, mi padre es de las islas canarias(tenerife) y mi madre es alemana.

de nada amigo, quedase positivo! soy de alicante, espana pero yo he vivido toda mi vida en sur de cali, donde se entrena?

OS!

Leon stay positive man. I know this is a real set back but once you get back on the mat you will be right back where you were.

I'm not sure what type of learner you are, but I know some people can learn just by watching, maybe that can work for you while you are resting. Like somebody else mentioned earlier, online videos are your friend.

Back