I am DESTROYED

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Leon, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Leon

Leon Brown Belt

At first, sorry for my english, I may use the wrong words sometime, I hope you understand though.

I am a BJJ blue belt and got my 4rd stripe a month ago. I really want to focus on training now to get my purple in december or maybe early next year.

Something fucked up my plans big time....

Here's the story...

3 weeks ago I noticed a stitching pain in my left knee after training. I thought it won't be anything too bad and the next day I noticed nothing. I dealed with this stitching pain until last monday.
    We trained judo throws in BJJ. Somehow I slipped and my knee bend to the side. I noticed that somethings really fucked up. My coach called da ambalance (at least I am still joking ;-) and in hospital they did a scan.
    The doc told me that I had a lot of liquid in my knee and my meniscus was literally DESTROYED.
    While slipping during the throw my knee popped out and due the impact when I fell to the mat my kneecap damaged the meniscus very bad.
    The stitching pain was because of the instability of my knee cap, that's what the doc told me.

Bad thing is I had surgery on my left knee back in 2008 due to a torn patella. I was almost out for a year.

Now I'll need surgery again. The docs told me that I'll be out of training BJJ for at least 6 months. The doc recommended to my coach to talk with me about a possible "retirement of the sport" because my knee could be completely useless after another injury.

Are you guys able to imagine how the fuck I feel know?
    I LOVE BJJ. I love training, drills, rolling, some tournament from time to time.
    I was really close getting my purple belt and now I may not be able to train anymore?

I'll have surgery next monday, 9th august. I pray to god that everything will be fine and I'll be back on the mat sometime next year. I'll take all the time I need to recover because I don't want to risk a permanent damage in my knee which would stop me from training

BJJ.

Thx for replies

Leon

2. Nedrin

Nedrin Green Belt

I stopped training for a month and I felt like shit, I hope you get a quick recovery man, good luck.

3. brackis1

brackis1 Gold Belt Platinum Member

Best of luck (I came into this thread thinking a grappler was very drunk and posting on Sherdog)

4. DeadAim713

DeadAim713 Blue Belt

That sucks man. I hurt my knee recently and thought I had torn my meniscus, but it was just a bad sprain (yay... another 2 weeks of aboslutly nothing to do). I've heard of people who've had multiple surgeries on each knee and still train, they just train lightly. But I hope you have a quick and full recovery.

5. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

In my experience, Doctors usually always recommend stopping what ever activity got you hurt in the first place. You have to see a sports medicine doctor because they have the same goal as you, that is to get back to participating in sports again.

6. bjornvil

bjornvil Blue Belt

I feel for you man! My biggest concern with the sport is getting injured and not being able to train anymore!

Don't give up hope man, just look at all the professional fighters who get injured and still come back time and time again!

Check out this vid for some inspiration dude!

7. Red Harvest

Red Harvest Orange Belt

That sucks, dude. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

8. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

First of all, I wish you get well soon. Second, don't pay much attention to all of the YOU ARE CRIPPLED FOREVER talk, because doctors are butchers and everything is ruined and should be cut off and you're already dead. I'm yet to know someone who hasn't heard anything like "WE MIGHT HAVE TO AMPUTATE IT", "YOU MIGHT NOT USE THAT LIMB AGAIN", "YOUR CAREER IN THE SPORT IS OVER", "YOU ARE IN RISK OF EXPIRING", and things like that. If such talk was true, I wouldn't be able to walk, would be missing a testicle, probably wouldn't do anything other than rocking back and forth in a corner, wouldn't have a liver, and so on, because doctors really want to impress you with that dramatic talk. Believe in your recovery, man. You're going to be back in no time. OSU!

9. Respeezy

Respeezy Purple Belt

I'm sure you'll find a way to still get your purple , good luck on recovering asap and as good as possible!

10. Zatara

Zatara Green Belt

hey man, stay positive ! You have the rest of your life to train, six months will seem like a drop in a bucket of water in five years.

11. nerraw

nerraw White Belt

Best wishes to you and I hope that you have a successful recovery. Be sure not to rush things - being able to train is great, but being able to walk is ever better!

12. bjjaz

bjjaz Got the Rock...Time to Roll

Hope you recover and get that purple.

13. revad3

revad3 Blue Belt

stay positive, i feel u dude. It's hard not doing the sport u love for 6 month and even crazy to know that u may have to retire from the sport u love.

all the best

14. Just Me

Just Me White Belt

Had Surgery on my knee 2 months ago. Removed 75% of my meniscus. Back to training in 4 weeks. Now feels good as new. Think positive. My knee are probably older than yours (40yr).

15. curb1850

curb1850 Green Belt

Ahh man, sorry to hear... hang in there, it'll work out. Maybe get the surgery and rest?

16. flipspeed

flipspeed Yellow Belt

Sorry to hear that bro, just work hard on your phys therapy n i'm sure you'll get your purple soon enough. I've been there before and knee surgeries ain't no joke.

17. keynote

keynote Purple Belt

I tore my meniscus earlier this year, and I thought it was the end of the world. After getting home from the hospital, I sat for about an hour and started panicking about what I'd do without being able to train.

Fast forward a month or two later, and all I've got is a clicking sound in my knee, but I'm still wearing a gi.

Stay positive dude! I'm not one to conspire about doctors, but some doctors can be pretty drastic. If you got hurt doing a sport, they'll tell you to stop doing the sport.

But we all know that won't happen!

18. Leon

Leon Brown Belt

Thank you very much, I watched this video a few days ago.

Also thx to all the others. I am kinda down now but yeah, you guys are right, I should stay positive.
    I think I'll take that advice and go to a specific sports medicine to talk about the time after surgery.

My girlfriend called me a crybaby and douche about 100 times today. I think I shouldn't be that negative. Your comments on a quick recovery and exaggerating docs helped me a lot.

I'll post here again after surgery. I hope it will be fine.

THX

19. Spoken

Spoken Gold Belt

dude, I can't even imagine. The thought of one of my passions being taken from me makes me feel sick.

I hope you heal, I hope you're strong, and I hope you can get back on the mat (even if its carefully) and continue working your passion.
    Good luck dude.

20. judogido

judogido Aussie!, Aussie!, Aussie! ...

Bad luck, buddy. You'll recover though - it's not the end of the world although it sucks not being able to train.

Make sure you do the rehab and don't try to go back to training before you are completely healed. Even then, avoid the temptation to let your ego push you harder than your head knows you should be going.