I am an atheist and have no problem with fighters mentioning Christ/God.

One of those people. So you believe in a god but not a religion?

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

"I believe in jesus but not the bible."

Wow. And tell us how it's logical to believe in a creator. Give a shred, a thread, a spindle of evidence that suggests creation.

You clearly don't understand the difference between deist and Christian. A deist wouldn't believe in Jesus Christ. And it is incredibly easy for someone to believe in God without subscribing to a particular religion. What is wrong with you?

And do you know that even many Christians believe Genesis to be metaphorical and don't subscribe to literal creationism but simply that something got the ball rolling and that something is God. This is so basic that I am not going to waste my time explaining it further to you. You somehow are an embarrassment to both sides of the debate..that really takes some doing. And no this has nothing to do with the ridiculous exchange I had with you in the other room. When I see a post this mind-numbingly wrong it simply is hard to ignore it. You have to be one of the worst posters on this site.

Dude come on, the guy who won is ecstatic and he's expressing his joy naturally he's not about to delve in a deep philosophical thought on whether God would prefer the humble believer that kept silent, or if it's more appropriate to thank God to make sure those that have not done so are reminded to do it.

He's just happy and usually happy people tend to blurt out the same.

That might be the case, but I still think it's a bad habit. Some do it less than others though. Some go all over the top with it, and you're like. Benson Henderson is one of the few that seems to really go over the top with it a lot.

Actually the guy you quoted, is right. There's such a thing as deists. I have a lot more respect for deists than for people who follow some doctrine.

I know there's a thing called a deist. There's also a thing called a mormon and a thing called a scientologist. Doesn't make them less ridiculous.

The reality is most of these deists grew up in christian households and cling to their ridiculous beliefs in the face of modern education and internet access. The result are "deists" and "agnostics" who defend christianity while not even having the nuts to associate themselves with it because even they know how silly it is.

One cannot believe in a god being if they didn't learn of the god being, and did not invest in the irrational and completely unprovable god being, in their original religion. Care to disagree?

You just lied to yourself like 2 pages ago that your god might be an alien because you want your imaginary friend to be real.

Religious people are the most self-obsessed people in our society. You think a wizard made the universe, but he watches you 24 hours a day because he loves you and you're special.
Have somebody explain my post to you, I really don't have the patience for it any more. Mocking you has lost its appeal as now it has gotten old. But in fairness, every post you make is so bad that it would tire anyone out.

You clearly don't understand the difference between deist and Christian. A deist wouldn't believe in Jesus Christ. And it is incredibly easy for someone to believe in God without subscribing to a particular religion. What is wrong with you?

And do you know that even many Christians believe Genesis to be metaphorical and don't subscribe to literal creationism but simply that something got the ball rolling and that something is God. This is so basic that I am not going to waste my time explaining it further to you. You somehow are an embarrassment to both sides of the debate..that really takes some doing. And no this has nothing to do with the ridiculous exchange I had with you in the other room. When I see a post this mind-numbingly wrong it simply is hard to ignore it. You have to be one of the worst posters on this site.

I used jesus as an example.

You cannot get to the belief in a god without religion. You need it. You may now decide that you no longer want the establishment of religion, but that religion was the scaffold for you to come to understand this completely illogical notion of the existence of a god, and so religion remains an integral part of the experience whether you like it or not.

Otherwise you are patting a word on the unknown void that is existence, and you are changing the word 'god' to mean something like fate or reality, and it loses its personification.

And if you are a christian who believes the bible is a metaphor then you don't actually believe it. Do you?

Actually the guy you quoted, is right. There's such a thing as deists. I have a lot more respect for deists than for people who follow some doctrine.

Cheers, but I'll admit I'm a Muslim, who rejects the concept of the Sunnah and the Hadith. The numbers of progressive Muslims are growing though. To give you a short explanation, Muslims like myself, think that one should only follow the Quran and not the Sunnah/Hadith, since trying to live your life after the prophet who lived in a very rough land over 1600 years ago is foolish since it can not be logically transferred to other countries/cultures and time periods. We see the prophet for what he was, a man. And like every man, he had his own habits and routines.

Unfortunately Islams problem is still the people that follow the Sunnah and the Hadiths, and never open the Quran to actually read what it says, and are told by imams and hoca's what they should do and that "Don't read the quran is too hard for you to understand" despite it says in the Quran black and white that it's easy to understand.

I'm mostly indifferent but I'd say it's mildly annoying. I just don't understand why it's necessary to thank Jesus publicl. It's as if he starts every interview with "By the way, I'm a Christian..."

Anyway, again, not the end of the world by any stretch. Ben seems like a really good guy so if that's the only knock on him then he's doing alright.

I never understood why fellow atheists get so bent out of shape when someone like Benson Henderson decides to give a few shoot outs to Jesus. He has the right to express his beliefs if given the microphone. Do I agree with him or her that Jesus is listening? Hell no. Is it OK for a fighter to say what he or she wants within the compounds of censorship laws? Hell Yes.

I endorse your post.

Same with the prayer circle after NFL games. Hell (no pun intended), I'd probably even join in on that just to thank no one that I'm still able to walk.

That might be the case, but I still think it's a bad habit. Some do it less than others though. Some go all over the top with it, and you're like. Benson Henderson is one of the few that seems to really go over the top with it a lot.

Fair point, he does turn it into a little show. A simple "I like to thank God" or "Thank you God" would suffice, but ah well it makes him a colourful personality.

I know there's a thing called a deist. There's also a thing called a mormon and a thing called a scientologist. Doesn't make them less ridiculous.

The reality is most of these deists grew up in christian households and cling to their ridiculous beliefs in the face of modern education and internet access. The result are "deists" and "agnostics" who defend christianity while not even having the nuts to associate themselves with it because even they know how silly it is.

One cannot believe in a god being if they didn't learn of the god being, and did not invest in the irrational and completely unprovable god being, in their original religion. Care to disagree?

Agnostic is ridiculous I agree. That's because 99% of people got the wrong mainstream idea of what agnostic means. It is probably the most misused word out there, as it has absolutely nothing to do with belief, yet people use it in this context all the time. It's about knowledge. Huge difference

Do you know if you locked the door or not? I don't know.... (that's agnostic). Then if you ask, do you believe you locked the door? the guy might say. Yes, I do believe did. That would be like an agnostic theist. There's no such thing as just an agnostic, and it drives me nuts that nobody seem to understand the difference.

As far as your previous post. You made the comment that it was ridiculous to say you believed in god without the belief in jesus. That's nonsense. There's plenty of people who believe in all kinds of versions of gods.

Dude come on, the guy who won is ecstatic and he's expressing his joy naturally he's not about to delve in a deep philosophical thought on whether God would prefer the humble believer that kept silent, or if it's more appropriate to thank God to make sure those that have not done so are reminded to do it.

He's just happy and usually happy people tend to blurt out the same.

Yes, people say dumb shit when they emotions are running high, and bringing up god is usually amongst the dumbest shit you can say.

It's no big deal. No one should take the dumb shit people say in such circumstances ltieral.

You can be atheist and not believe anything about the creation of the universe.

You can say... Wait for it... I don't know.

no that is agnostic. Atheists hate agnostics like Einstein...basically known as a "fence sitter" to them. That's why atheists are so insecure just like religious people.

TS: nor should you. Different types of non-believers... the young and/or militant athiests (typically liberal in politics) cannot stomach why people don't believe what they do, so they lash out at the "stupid bible thumpers". The same goes for religious extremists (typically conserative in politics) when they attack someone who appropriately wishes to abide by the US's standard of the separation of church and state. No matter which side you take, forcing your perspective on adults has very, very little chance of success. This is why there is a battle going on within the education system - for those young malleable minds.

no that is agnostic. Atheists hate agnostics like Einstein...basically known as a "fence sitter" to them. That's why atheists are so insecure just like religious people.

So you're saying you have to believe in the big bang to be an atheist?

Bob Gray, you seeing this buddy? This one's for you.

as a deist i just don't understand why in the 21st century people still hate other just because they have different religious beliefs in general. (ill leave out radical religious behavior such as terrorism and hate of course)

I used jesus as an example.

You cannot get to the belief in a god without religion. You need it. You may now decide that you no longer want the establishment of religion, but that religion was the scaffold for you to come to understand this completely illogical notion of the existence of a god, and so religion remains an integral part of the experience whether you like it or not.

Otherwise you are patting a word on the unknown void that is existence, and you are changing the word 'god' to mean something like fate or reality, and it loses its personification.

And if you are a christian who believes the bible is a metaphor then you don't actually believe it. Do you?
The example you used was ridiculous because a deist wouldn't believe in Jesus

And how can you not understand someone can believe in God without subscribing to a particular religion? Seriously...wtf?

You really expect me to know that is your starting point but want me to continue anyway and explain to you in detail how each book of the bible has its own central them or which interpretation of 2Timothy 3:16 someone subscribes to is going to play a huge role in whether they are a Bible literalist let alone a literal creationist?

There is no nice way to say this so I am just going to have to be blunt. You are not smart enough to waste any more time on trying to have an intelligent debate. The truth isn't always nice but it can be a real time-saver.

Cheers, but I'll admit I'm a Muslim, who rejects the concept of the Sunnah and the Hadith. The numbers of progressive Muslims are growing though. To give you a short explanation, Muslims like myself, think that one should only follow the Quran and not the Sunnah/Hadith, since trying to live your life after the prophet who lived in a very rough land over 1600 years ago is foolish since it can not be logically transferred to other countries/cultures and time periods. We see the prophet for what he was, a man. And like every man, he had his own habits and routines.

Unfortunately Islams problem is still the people that follow the Sunnah and the Hadiths, and never open the Quran to actually read what it says, and are told by imams and hoca's what they should do and that "Don't read the quran is too hard for you to understand" despite it says in the Quran black and white that it's easy to understand.

But what about Qur'an quotes like the ones beneath? I am glad you're a progressive muslim, but I still think the best morality is achieved through conversation, rather than teachings written down ages ago.

-Qur'an:2:193: "Fight them until there is no more Fitnah (disbelief) and religion is only for Allah. But if they cease/desist, let there be no hostility except against infidel disbelievers."
-Quran 8:12: "Instill terror into the hearts of the unbelievers;"
-Quran 2:191: "... kill the disbelievers wherever we find them …"
-Quran 8:7: "Allah wished to confirm the truth by His words: 'Wipe the infidels out to the last.'"
-Quran 8:12: "Your Lord inspired the angels with the message: 'I will terrorize the unbelievers. Therefore smite them on their necks and every joint and incapacitate them. Strike off their heads and cut off each of their fingers and toes.'"

Last edited:
Back