I am an atheist and have no problem with fighters mentioning Christ/God.

if we believe that gods or supernatural agencies actually do determine the outcome of sporting events, shouldn't we ban it? After all, sporting events are supposed to be between humans competing on a level playing field, not an activity to determine who has the best relationship with god, or whose god is better.

Shouldn't we ban the involvement of peds (performance enhancing deities)?

If what i'm saying seems silly to you, isn't that because supernatural agents affecting sporting events is actually a silly belief, too silly to take seriously?

10/10

I just want to thank my Lord and savior Jesus Christ for everything. Counting my blessings :)

Why would anyone want to hate on a sense of gratitude to a higher power? If you don't believe in it just keep it moving. Live and let live

He's a fundie dude. Wasting your breath.

He has to be like early 20's at most. It's the only thing that makes sense. I bring up Pol Pot and he's telling me I attribute evolution and big bang to atheism.

W
T
F

Dude....you have issues. Evolution and big bang are science.

Is it really?

Anyway. You equated atheist factions with war crimes so as to defend the notion that religion feeds war. This is shoddy reasoning, and you can admit it or continue to defend it in all ridiculousness and futility.

Don't tell me what you said and didn't say. I can read it. Much of what I said to you, as I stated, also rests on a prior conversation.

And you know so much more than me on evolution and the big bang. Talk about baseless, son. Why would you make such a ridiculous assertion? But then again, you do identify as being a 'deist', so it is par for the course. Let's not even get into that. Your true colors will be exposed, my internet-age agnostic christian apologist.

The mere balancing of atheist vs religious war crimes is inappropriate and irresponsible. Calling something an "atheist/secular horror", as you did, doesn't even make sense.

And this when held against fundamentalist fanaticism. Do you expect someone to take what you say seriously with this sort of irresponsible, desperate, and just overall short-sighted kind of juxtaposition? It's really just gross.

Never understood why that bothers anyone. Just seems like an excuse to hate and judge someone which people love to do.

If we believe that gods or supernatural agencies actually do determine the outcome of sporting events, shouldn't we ban it? After all, sporting events are supposed to be between humans competing on a level playing field, not an activity to determine who has the best relationship with God, or whose god is better.

Shouldn't we ban the involvement of PEDs (performance enhancing deities)?

If what I'm saying seems silly to you, isn't that because supernatural agents affecting sporting events is actually a silly belief, too silly to take seriously?

Nobody thinks that and you are either playing to an audience and being purposely obtuse or the alternative is a lot more embarrassing.

He is thanking God for giving him the strength to be the person he is. That his beliefs sustain and motivate him. He isn't claiming God fixed the outcome of the fight. Especially considering the judges robbed him and he lost....or did you forget that?

Cheap jokes are good fodder for lowbrow individuals but I thought one of the atheist talking points has always been higher intelligence? You seem to be doing your best to disprove that.

He has to be like early 20's at most. It's the only thing that makes sense. I bring up Pol Pot and he's telling me I attribute evolution and big bang to atheism.

W
T
F

Very likely. The funny thing is that it seems atheists like him only think the concept of God relates to religion. Where as people have a lot of different ideas of God. Personally I think it's more logical to attribute the origin of everything back to a creator, and naturally for a creator to be God, God has to exist outside the rules of time and space. But the popular young and angry atheist (the kind that writes page long posts on reddit and whatever) is that God is a toothfairy with a long beard or something.

Nobody thinks that and you are either playing to an audience and being purposely obtuse or the alternative is a lot more embarrassing.

He is thanking God for giving him the strength to be the person he is. That his beliefs sustain and motivate him. He isn't claiming God fixed the outcome of the fight. Especially considering the judges robbed him and he lost....or did you forget that?

Cheap jokes are good fodder for lowbrow individuals but I thought one of the atheist talking points has always been higher intelligence? You seem to be doing your best to disprove that.

Athletes often say they believe "it's god's will what happens?"

Would it be just as acceptible for an atheist UFC fighter saying, after beating a Christian fighter known to thank God in the ring following wins, something along the lines of: "I'm glad there really isn't a God, so these fighters expecting God's assistance can be beaten up just like anybody else"? Would that be rude? Or is only praising God in the octagon appropriate?

And there it is..the REAL reason

You feel marginalized by a predominately religious society to the point that you have managed to take personal offense at something that literally has nothing to do with you. He isn't making a judgment on people who don't believe. He is simply thanking who he believes has helped him the most. No different than if someone thanked their spouse. Would it be considered rational for a single person to take that as an insult about them?

Seriously, you need to grow up a little if that is your mindset, you won't survive life if you feel anything different is a direct threat or insult to you.

Very likely. The funny thing is that it seems atheists like him only think the concept of God relates to religion. Where as people have a lot of different ideas of God. Personally I think it's more logical to attribute the origin of everything back to a creator, and naturally for a creator to be God, God has to exist outside the rules of time and space. But the popular young and angry atheist (the kind that writes page long posts on reddit and whatever) is that God is a toothfairy with a long beard or something.

One of those people. So you believe in a god but not a religion?

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

"I believe in jesus but not the bible."

Wow. And tell us how it's logical to believe in a creator. Give a shred, a thread, a spindle of evidence that suggests creation.

I do think that it's silly to thank God in post fight interviews. I am an atheist as well, but that's not the reason I think it is silly. I think it's silly because if you believe in this god, do you really think "he" needs to hear you thank him in a postfight interview? He is omnipotent for fuck sake. So at this point, it becomes about preaching to other people, rather than thanking god.

You feel marginalized by a predominately religious society to the point that you have managed to take personal offense at something that literally has nothing to do with you. He isn't making a judgment on people who don't believe. He is simply thanking who he believes has helped him the most. No different than if someone thanked their spouse. Would it be considered rational for a single person to take that as an insult about them?

Not everything is about you.

You just lied to yourself like 2 pages ago that your god might be an alien because you want your imaginary friend to be real.

Religious people are the most self-obsessed people in our society. You think a wizard made the universe, but he watches you 24 hours a day because he loves you and you're special.

Atheists can be Christian too.

They are called Christian Atheists
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism

Most often atheism stems from insecurity (sexual because religion rejects them like trannies etc, or just insecurity in "not knowing" the universe) much like religion so they are a perfect match for one another

The truth is neither is more legit than the other.

Religion is basically adam and eve and atheism is basically "nothing exploded" in the beginning. Which even makes less sense

Seriously, you need to grow up a little if that is your mindset, you won't survive life if you feel anything different is a direct threat or insult to you.

This

One of those people. So you believe in a god but not a religion?

Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds?

"I believe in jesus but not the bible."

Wow. And tell us how it's logical to believe in a creator. Give a shred, a thread, a spindle of evidence that suggests creation.

Actually the guy you quoted, is right. There's such a thing as deists. I have a lot more respect for deists than for people who follow some doctrine.

I do think that it's silly to thank God in post fight interviews. I am an atheist as well, but that's not the reason I think it is silly. I think it's silly because if you believe in this god, do you really think "he" needs to hear you thank him in a postfight interview? He is omnipotent for fuck sake. So at this point, it becomes about preaching to other people, rather than thanking god.

Dude come on, the guy who won is ecstatic and he's expressing his joy naturally he's not about to delve in a deep philosophical thought on whether God would prefer the humble believer that kept silent, or if it's more appropriate to thank God to make sure those that have not done so are reminded to do it.

He's just happy and usually happy people tend to blurt out the same.

Atheists can be Christian too.

They are called Christian Atheists
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_atheism

Most often atheism stems from insecurity (sexual because religion rejects them like trannies etc, or just insecurity in "not knowing" the universe) much like religion so they are a perfect match

The truth is neither is more legit than the other.

Religion is basically adam and eve and atheism is basically "nothing exploded" which even makes less sense

Atheism is not 'nothing exploded'.

It is a disbelief in deities. Atheism has absolutely nothing to do with 'nothing exploded'.

Bob Gray. What'd I say, homie?

Atheism is not 'nothing exploded'.

It is a disbelief in deities. Atheism has absolutely nothing to do with 'nothing exploded'.

Bob Gray. What'd I say, homie?

I'm talking about creation of the universe

Back