I am an atheist and have no problem with fighters mentioning Christ/God.

The really widespread negative reaction to this was when Hughes came out with the "god wants wants me to win more than my opponents" talk that was so obviously self serving and hypocritical.

The really widespread negative reaction to this was when Hughes came out with the "god wants wants me to win more than my opponents" talk that was so obviously self serving and hypocritical.

I don't even remember that.

I think some people just can't get over the silliness of thanking a supposedly peace-loving deity after beating the shit out of another one of the deity's "children".

The rest of us recognize the inherent silliness in almost all facets of human society and behavior, and so it's not really anything worth getting hung up on.

more HATE. bring it.

I was being ironic. Edited that post to make an actual point though.

What's really ironic is you calling out atheists for hate. Religious extremists are so far ahead on the hate front, non-believers could never catch up. They'd have to launch a few dozen warheads to even scratch the surface of the hate and violence carried out in the name of God on a decade by decade basis spanning millennia.

it's funny, it's always towards a person. "I hate you because of your belief more than I hate the idea of that belief, because you personify it."

most people I know that get upset at these kinds of things look like complete pussies

Thank you. For example if a gang of young men murdered your grand mother it is simply the natural order of things.As science has taught us about the survival of the fittest.

I don't really see it like that.

If someone murdered my grandmother, it would be really unpleasant right now.

But in a few billion years when our species is gone one way or another, my grandmother never really mattered. She was going to die anyway, and so are the rest of us.

Meaning to human life I believe is best deciphered with the meaninglessness in mind. Otherwise you're probably kidding yourself. This is what I believe, and I can argue it up and down, but if others disagree because it's too bleak or reptilian or whatever then okay cool.

I don't even remember that.

I think some people just can't get over the silliness of thanking a supposedly peace-loving deity after beating the shit out of another one of the deity's "children".

The rest of us recognize the inherent silliness in almost all facets of human society and behavior, and so it's not really anything worth getting hung up on.

To be honest though if you think that's what MMA is about rather than people willingly testing themselves physically and mentally then its pretty immoral to watch it in the first place.

The problem with Hughes talk was that its not even inline was Christian belief, not that god gives him strength to do his best but that god actively wants him and not his opponent(who is likely Christian as well much of the time) to win, that's less god and more imaginary friend.

Oh, I won't harp on then.

Religious threads on the internet. Mac vs PC. Liberals vs Conservatives. So much fun.

haha, indeed. "yours is worse, mine is better", just the topic changes.

I never understood why fellow atheists get so bent out of shape when someone like Benson Henderson decides to give a few shoot outs to Jesus. He has the right to express his beliefs if given the microphone. Do I agree with him or her that Jesus is listening? Hell no. Is it OK for a fighter to say what he or she wants within the compounds of censorship laws? Hell Yes.

It's because it takes a complete idiot to think that the omnipotent, all powerful creator of the universe has a vested interest in your sporting career but has given exactly zero fucks about all kinds of unimaginable human suffering over the course of human history.

I would argue that it's not ok for an apparently intelligent, grown adult to view the world in this way. It is beyond stupid.

To be honest though if you think that's what MMA is about rather than people willingly testing themselves physically and mentally then its pretty immoral to watch it in the first place.

The problem with Hughes talk was that its not even inline was Christian belief, not that god gives him strength to do his best but that god actively wants him and not his opponent(who is likely Christian as well much of the time) to win, that's less god and more imaginary friend.

MMA is about testing themselves mentally and whatever and it's about living like a modern day samurai and it's about participating in simulated hand to hand combat in a purish kind of way and whatever whatever.

But it's also about beating the shit out of each other in a metal cage while drunken crowds cheer on.

The idea that you should thank the wizard for beating the hell out of another person, that's not christian-like either. You're not supposed to assault someone for money. Going by the rules it's pretty much like thanking the invisible magic man after turning a trick in a hotel room. It's inherently silly and self-defeating, but I can't imagine getting hung up on it.

"Thankyou! Thankyou! But there was someone else with me on that alley. I'm talking about the big man!.... Carl!"

-H. Simpson.

people are just fine with it because the majority of those fighters are christians. Try to get a muslim fighter to advertise Islam on television, root for ISIL, see where that gets you...

religion isn't really a problem, religionS (or the interaction between them) are.

Atheist tombstone engraving: "Here lies an atheist. All dressed up and nowhere to go."

But on a serious note, I don't mind it. If they win a fight, they have earned the right to thank whoever they want.

I've noticed a lot more religious zealots spreading hate and intolerance than non-believers.

Except for all those atheist suicide bombing bastards. They're the worst.

Well non-believers make up 100% of the bombings and shooting sprees carried out by heathens.

Back