I am an atheist and have no problem with fighters mentioning Christ/God.

Happy Thoughts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never understood why fellow atheists get so bent out of shape when someone like Benson Henderson decides to give a few shoot outs to Jesus. He has the right to express his beliefs if given the microphone. Do I agree with him or her that Jesus is listening? Hell no. Is it OK for a fighter to say what he or she wants within the compounds of censorship laws? Hell Yes.

Well duh. It's OK. I'm not saying he can't do it.

It's just silly from an atheist point of view. He might as well be saying, "I'd like to thank the invisible leprochauns who sing to me every morning before the gym. Couldn't have done it without you."

Can't help but roll my eyes and be less of a fan due to inability to relate.

I never understood why fellow atheists get so bet out of shape when someone like Benson Henderson decides to give a few shoot outs to Jesus. He has the right to express his beliefs if given the microphone. Do I agree with him her that Jesus is listening? Hell no. Is it OK for a fighter to say what he or she wants? Hell Yes.

He has all the right in the world to espouse his beliefs.

Any person also has the right to question, agree, disagree, ridicule, or comment however they wish on his beliefs.

Thats because atheism is a religion too.

Just kidding

Its great if it helps him, but why does he feel the need to brag about it to others? Pseudo-imposing your view on people.

I never understood why fellow atheists get so bent out of shape when someone like Benson Henderson decides to give a few shoot outs to Jesus. He has the right to express his beliefs if given the microphone. Do I agree with him or her that Jesus is listening? Hell no. Is it OK for a fighter to say what he or she wants within the compounds of censorship laws? Hell Yes.

I'm an atheist as well and I agree with you.

It's not a big deal. I don't get mad when kids say they can't wait until Santa Claus gets them some sweet presents.

I like to condescendingly smile at these expressions of religion, roll my eyes, or straight out laugh when it's guys like Jon Jones saying how god is great and how he is humble and great because of god.

It's just a fight/entertainment, I have no problem with religion as it is entertaining and amusing in these situations.

Now, if you are talking about prayer in school or government policies based on religion, that's a different story and I do get bent out of shape in those cases.

"I've argued this with a lot of people in my life. When people say God blessed me with a beautiful jump shot, it really pisses me off. I tell those people, 'Don't undermine the work I've put in every day.' Not some days. Every day. Ask anyone who has been on a team with me who shoots the most. Go back to Seattle and Milwaukee, and ask them. The answer is me -- not because it's a competition but because that's how I prepare." -Ray Allen

Also were people booing him when he mentioned Christ?

I just want to see someone thank Satan for their win. That would be awesome. :)

news_064.jpg

'God didn't find the time to help all the starving kids, but thanks for helping me win this fight, big guy!'

I'm not sure what people hope to accomplish in these threads. Think you'll bring anyone over to your side?

If I hero worshiped people who didn't believe what I do I might feel conflicted aswell. Sort of like jews who love Wagner haha.

It just seems pointless.

It's cringe-worthy. No doubt.

But if makes them feel better then great. They're not hurting anyone. And it is definitely more entertaining than the whole "whoever the UFC wants me fight..." thing.

I mean it's either hear the same thing for the thousandth time, or you get to experience the human drama of watching another person who actually has convinced himself to believe that there is an invisible person in the sky who does magic and watches you all the time. Way more interesting to me.

I feel the same way about the intrinsic value of human life. It is a fairy tell which any observation of nature invalidates.

some atheists hate people who believe in a higher power. it's just another form of hate towards your fellow man, be it an annoying way of belief here.

some atheists hate people who believe in a higher power. it's just another form of hate towards your fellow man.

I've noticed a lot more religious zealots spreading hate and intolerance than non-believers.

Except for all those atheist suicide bombing bastards. They're the worst.

Back