I always thought Fedor was a fat WW, but I am not so sure anymore

Another not so cleverly disguised thread to suck Fedor’s D.

Omgggg look how huge Karyn Bryant looks.

eFnHAis.jpg

hqdefault.jpg
Well... this just makes too much damn sense. Thanks for being reasonable lol. There are so many other factors than how tall someone is.

The man gets dwarfed by Chris Cyborg ffs

EM7xyMBU0AAHs9T.jpg

While all the other fighters are cutting a ton of weight to try an fight the guy who couldn't cut so much, Fedor didn't care. He just fought them all super heavweights. And beat them. And he did it while packing a ton of fat.
One of the GOATS, don’t care what anyone says. At his peak he was phenomenal and unmatched.

Fedor is the BMF too, besides being the GOAT.
Just for the sake of argument, the BMF title was created for fighters who stand up and bang and have the spoken or unspoken agreement that the fight will stay on the feet. In Fedor’s prime he definitely had hands but used GNP and subs a lot, big nog and cro-cop fights for example. Since Fedor has transitioned to stand up almost exclusively, he hasn’t done nearly as well. So I wouldn’t give him the BMF title, especially after the Bader or Mitrione fights. Can’t be the baddest stand up guy with a chin almost non-existent. No disrespect toFedor but I dont think he gets that title.

Meh. Fedor is GOAT, but I don't buy some of the narratives about how tiny he was. He definitely wasn't a large HW and probably could've made weight at 185 if he really wanted to, but there isn't any reason to think that he would've performed better at those lower weights.

He was similar in build to DC. I think they're both evidence that being as light as you possibly can isn't always the best thing.

There are many other examples as well. Dan Henderson performed better at 205 than 185. Whittaker is better after moving up. Rumble was better after moving up. It looks like Till might be better at MW. There are many more examples. We all know that.

Cormier is probably a good match in terms of size, Fedor despite being wide does arguably have a smaller ribcage so perhaps cutting a bit lower could have been possible if he was very lean and lost a bit of muscle mass. Maybe Randy an even better match size wise.

Really though I'd say Fedor is probably someone who could have fought at 205lbs pretty comfortably if he'd dropped some fat without the cut being draining and maybe could have made 185lbs latter in his career if he were lean but the cut would have been large and potentially damaging.

To me a "standard" HW would be the likes of JDS, Cain, Stipe, Barnett, Werdum, Arlovski, Herring, etc guys who are naturally limited to HW or at the very least would need an extreme cut or change in muscle mass to make 205.

Last edited:
He preferred to have the speed advantage while fighting in the weakest division in MMA history.

If that's true why isn't Jon Jones fighting at HW or in fact any LHW? Like you said they'll have the speed advantage, so why aren't they moving up to a weaker division?

Uhm. No? Are you saying that Fedor was ripped and did not have any mass to lose with proper dieting? Fedor was thick yes but if he lost the fat around his waist he’d be around 200 and could have cut to MW. Thinking otherwise must mean you are completely blind - just look at him and you can see he is carrying around a lot of fat.
Lmao no. You greatly overestimate how fat Fedor was. Once you hit ~14,15% you start looking fat and 15% blends into 20% blends into 25%. Even though they look similar, those are huge differences. Fedor was ~15%. -35 lbs for a 200+ lb man is -18.5% bodyfat. 15 + -18.5 = -3.5. You can't be negative 3.5% bodyfat dude. Simple math.

Just for the sake of argument, the BMF title was created for fighters who stand up and bang and have the spoken or unspoken agreement that the fight will stay on the feet. In Fedor’s prime he definitely had hands but used GNP and subs a lot, big nog and cro-cop fights for example. Since Fedor has transitioned to stand up almost exclusively, he hasn’t done nearly as well. So I wouldn’t give him the BMF title, especially after the Bader or Mitrione fights. Can’t be the baddest stand up guy with a chin almost non-existent. No disrespect toFedor but I dont think he gets that title.

You don't think he can beat Masvidal?

If Fedor was a MW then so was Cain and so is DC. I think there’s more to this “natural weight class” than height and LBM. I don’t know what that “more” is but I cannot imagine Cain or DC at WW/MW.

Funny that all the posters that have a good grasp of MMA and the history of the sport say the same thing. Fedor is without even a debate clear GOAT. Then you have the ones that kind of know a bit but started watching only the UFC and say Gsp or Silva. Then you have the spastics that dont take into account cheating, favouritism and only wiki search and will say Jones. Then you have Conor fans.

Also funny shit about Hendo was actually bigger than Fedor and who stopped the fight to suit Zuffa?! Yep Herb the most dodgiest cunt in the game Dean. lol at the yanks that spew that shit being real are 100% pro wrestling fans.
While i partially agree, i have to say i think that Fedor is not necessarily the clear GOAT as you or others are saying, although i share your opinion, that he's probably the GOAT or at least the closest fighter to another GOAT.
While extremely dominant over a long period of time, he fought in a division with a rather small talentpool and during a relatively early era and quite a few of his numerous wins during his legendary run were against opponents that were not exactly elite, to say the least.
I will say this though: even without these wins, his streak was extremely long and impressive and the fact that he was a rather small heavyweight adds to that.
I think though that St-Pierre is on the same "GOAT-level", while he has not had as many wins during his prime and not as long of a win-streak, it's undoubtedly the case that welterweight (back then) had arguably the largest talentpool - it basically was the weightclass where average-sized men fought and he has fought better opponents on average as well (judged by their record) although the 5-7 very best wins of Fedor and those of St-Pierre are closer.
I with you not putting Jones up there - it's not just that he has popped, but when; a positive test will always put an asterisk besides your legacy, but if it happens during the era with the most stringent drug-testing yet, that asterisk is even bigger, in my opinion.
Then you've got Demetrious Johnson, who fought in a division which was far from stacked, but he was absurdly dominant at most times and not just that; in terms of skill and well-roundedness he was super close to the blue-print of the perfect MMA-fighter, probably more so than St-Pierre etc.
Silva has popped and while super dominant for a sustaibed period of time, he has proven to be susceptible to proficient offensive wrestlers and while he was 38 (or 37?) years old when he finally lost again, there's not much to suggest he'd have done much different against Weidman when he was younger.
Last but not least is Aldo, who - like St-Pierre and Fedor has never popped and just like them was extremely dominant for a long, long time and who still proves to be a top fighter against elite-competition to this day, although i'd probably put him behind Fedor, St-Pierres and DJ.

A modern-trained Fedor could have made 205 for sure, but no way to MW. His speed advantage was his biggest asset at HW.

The GOAT has a thick upper body and always did.

Some of you are strange.

Fedor (in and around his prime) simply did not have the frame to fight at anything other than HW or LHW (with a weight cut).

Moreover, Fedor's biggest strengths at HW (ability to change levels and move from strikes to throws and general speed/hand quickness) would be reduced to some degree at lower weight classes.

I don't know how many "cutting/dieting down to as low a weight as possible isn't always the best" cases people need to see before they get it.

While i partially agree, i have to say i think that Fedor is not necessarily the clear GOAT as you or others are saying, although i share your opinion, that he's probably the GOAT or at least the closest fighter to another GOAT.
While extremely dominant over a long period of time, he fought in a division with a rather small talentpool and during a relatively early era and quite a few of his numerous wins during his legendary run were against opponents that were not exactly elite, to say the least.
I will say this though: even without these wins, his streak was extremely long and impressive and the fact that he was a rather small heavyweight adds to that.
I think though that St-Pierre is on the same "GOAT-level", while he has not had as many wins during his prime and not as long of a win-streak, it's undoubtedly the case that welterweight (back then) had arguably the largest talentpool - it basically was the weightclass where average-sized men fought and he has fought better opponents on average as well (judged by their record) although the 5-7 very best wins of Fedor and those of St-Pierre are closer.
I with you not putting Jones up there - it's not just that he has popped, but when; a positive test will always put an asterisk besides your legacy, but if it happens during the era with the most stringent drug-testing yet, that asterisk is even bigger, in my opinion.
Then you've got Demetrious Johnson, who fought in a division which was far from stacked, but he was absurdly dominant at most times and not just that; in terms of skill and well-roundedness he was super close to the blue-print of the perfect MMA-fighter, probably more so than St-Pierre etc.
Silva has popped and while super dominant for a sustaibed period of time, he has proven to be susceptible to proficient offensive wrestlers and while he was 38 (or 37?) years old when he finally lost again, there's not much to suggest he'd have done much different against Weidman when he was younger.
Last but not least is Aldo, who - like St-Pierre and Fedor has never popped and just like them was extremely dominant for a long, long time and who still proves to be a top fighter against elite-competition to this day, although i'd probably put him behind Fedor, St-Pierres and DJ.
<36>

A win over Cro Cop is better than Khabibs whole combat career.

Back