I always liked Nick Diaz.

Yeah for sure, MMA has evolved way beyond such a skill set, I mean just look at a Max Holloway for example (minus the the BJJ Blackbelt).

Nobody with top of the food chain cardio, toughness, Boxing and BJJ could possibly compete in this highly evolved version of MMA!!!

Lol, where do people come up with this "the sport has evolved to much" BS narrative? The only real eveolution we've seen is well rounded fighters becoming the norm instead of an anomaly and weightcutting practises raising the average size of guys in each class by around 10 lbs.

Is this just the go to response for newer fans when they are trying to sound like they've been around longer than they have for some bizarre reason?
Yeah lol youre right haha. Because he looked so
Good his last ufc run. He sure did out class that bj penn.

But in hindsight I don’t think he has any really impressive wins in MMA?

Correct me if I’m wrong. I think he came up in an era in the sport where Jiu Jitsu and boxing were all you needed.

If you were two dimensional and in shape you had an advantage over most b and c level fighters.

I would probably consider Nick and his brother A- level fighters. The kinds of guys you need to fill up your division.

Even in the 2000s, Nick heavily traded wins and losses due to his lack of wrestling and inability to cut opponents off. The best win of his career is Gomi.

Nick Diaz is a lot like Allen Iverson use to be.

A lot of spoiled, and privileged suburban White people like him because they think by liking him, they'll be hard and gangsterous by association. They feel guilty over their parents giving them a good life they didn't earn, so they need to connect (in a horribly fake way) to "da streets homie" however they can.

Nick Diaz is a lot like Allen Iverson use to be.

A lot of spoiled, and privileged suburban White people like him because they think by liking him, they'll be hard and gangsterous by association. They feel guilty over their parents giving them a good life they didn't earn, so they need to connect (in a horribly fake way) to "da streets homie" however they can.
Allen Iverson is one of basketballs goats. So I don’t understand.

Boom! None of those guys were ranked.
These were the top ranked WWs and none of the guys he beat are on the list.

GSP
Thiago Alves
KOS
Jon Fitch
Mike Swick
Paulo Thiago
Mike Pierce
Carlos Condit
Matt Hughes
Diego Sanchez
Karo
Mike Pyle
John Hathaway
Rick Story
Jake Ellenberger
Martin Kampmann
Matt Serra
Sean Serk
Anthony Johnson
Jay Hieron
Imma check the dates and rankings of each of Diaz opponents. The UFC rankings at the time arent relevant to the world rankongs. I tend to think Nick is the 3rd most overrated fighter on sherdog, behind only Mousasi and Rory, But also pretending he is a bum who has no accomplisments is asanine.

Last edited:
Yes. Nothing is impressive, because time moves forward.

Yeah lol youre right haha. Because he looked so
Good his last ufc run. He sure did out class that bj penn.
Umm, he did beat BJ (unfortunately) had a controversial loss to Condit and like everybody else lost to GSP then had a competitive fight with Anderson ( mainly due to Anderson being extremely tentative mind you).

What part of that showed you the sport has "evolved" beyond him exactly?

This should be pretty amusing, lol.

Nick knocked out Paul Daley. A guy who has only been knocked out like twice in 60 fights

I’ve seen the fight many times and still don’t understand why Daley suddenly fell over.
Was there an invisible man in the cage that punched him?

You just names three LWs, two completely washed up old men and a Lawler who was very green and not even top 10 ranked. Don't lie and say he was thought of as the Tyson of MMA

Truth is, Nick was never an elite WW

Hey idiot Nick was younger and more green than Robbie you fucking idiot.

Dude was in wars. Many great fights.

Legend.

Sit down.

Diaz brothers were entertaining. Hope they are enjoying retirement. Especially Nick. Let these guys enjoy their marijuana and booze in peace. Cannot stand fans clamouring for their return, when both guys seem disinterested. Good entertaining fighters like Leonard Garcia, but they both were never elite.

But in hindsight I don’t think he has any really impressive wins in MMA?

Correct me if I’m wrong. I think he came up in an era in the sport where Jiu Jitsu and boxing were all you needed.

If you were two dimensional and in shape you had an advantage over most b and c level fighters.

I would probably consider Nick and his brother A- level fighters. The kinds of guys you need to fill up your division.

He had some fights. He's a holdover from before the JacksonWink pointfighting and 'gameplanning' era. His Condit fight, even the Silva fight were pretty telling - guys like him and Nate could just get in there and fight their fight, not sacrificing doing things their way and yeah paid at the very top level for it. Also Nick and Nate are of a blueprint that is clearly successful but very few guys have employed so its a hard comparison.

Since then we got through the JacksonWink era of fighting for the scorecards, oblique kicks, and pointfighting at range in order to minimize the risk of getting clipped, and GSP's long reign of being boring but effective at decisioning.

I'd argue Chael and later McGregor and WME brought us into this modern era where selling a fight and being a draw and putting on an exciting fight have become what gets guys paid and the fights they want rather than just pure win record, so with decent matchups I reckon both Diazes could still go on a tear. I just hope Nick gets us some fights before he's clearly past his prime. It would be a damn shame if a multi year pot suspension robbed us of another Diaz-Daley

diaz_daley0otv.gif

big fan of the diaz bros, but at this point its hard to defend their behavior over the last few years. its just sad now. wouldve rather just seen them retire than become what they are atm.

Uhhh they are retired

I’ve seen the fight many times and still don’t understand why Daley suddenly fell over.
Was there an invisible man in the cage that punched him?
Maybe it's the quality of the video? Anyway, if you still keep missing it then try looking at Nick's right shoulder and upper body instead.

Back