I absolutely suck at overhead pressing

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I thought I was beastly - cranking out 60 kgs for 3 reps.

Then this skinny dweeb came up in the gym, stood opposite me on the frame, threw up a bar - and started hitting 60 for 6 like he was just warming up.

"Maybe a seasoned lifter in disguise", you say?

Nuh.

He was a fucking dweeb.

Makes me realise how awful my OHP is.

I hit pretty solid numbers on everything else.

Plus - I can jerk 105 kgs without too much difficulty.

Additionally - I am of the opinion, OHP is the most beneficial exercise for filling out in the upper body.

Anyone else been through this?

Then this skinny dweeb came up in the gym, stood opposite me on the frame, threw up a bar - and started hitting 60 for 6 like he was just warming up.

Nuh.

He was a fucking dweeb.

Additionally - I am of the opinion, OHP is the most beneficial exercise for filling out in the upper body.

Nope.

Lol the jerk is more lower body than upper body, and in fact, pressing out gets red lighted in meets, so it has little to do with your overhead pressing ability. I’m sure your form sucks and you’re weak. Practice makes perfect. Your form will improve and with it your strength. Work on your triceps also. And traps.

What’s your actual body weight and lifts in the big three? 60 for 3 and 60 for 6 are similar lifts. Repping 60 on military is past beginner but hardly advanced/beastly.

He may not even of had a 70 kilo military (I.e below bodyweight), so really you are both just at best intermediates at weight lifting.

Nuh.

He was a fucking dweeb.

don't compare yourself to other lifters and don't judge people by their physiques. Focus on yourself and making improvements each training session.

Lol the jerk is more lower body than upper body, and in fact, pressing out gets red lighted in meets, so it has little to do with your overhead pressing ability. I’m sure your form sucks and you’re weak. Practice makes perfect. Your form will improve and with it your strength. Work on your triceps also. And traps.

I was under the impression OHP was for traps/delts?

The muscular attachments for traps are certainly brought closer together during the movement.

Tricep/trap lifts - as in, dips?

I've never done shrugs cause they seem weak sauce and not an advanced/worthwhile movement.

My body weight is 95 kgs

Squat: 180 kgs
Dead lift: 220 kgs
Bench: 145 kgs

Reviewing some technique vids:

I think my elbows might have been a little wide, as oppose to out front.

Press more.

Get stronger triceps and upper back.

But mostly press more. Like, 3-4x/week. For the longest time, I did the old Sheiko programs with the press subbed in for bench. I was doing 15-20 sets Of press 3x/week. I got really good at pressing.

Press more.

Get stronger triceps and upper back.

But mostly press more. Like, 3-4x/week. For the longest time, I did the old Sheiko programs with the press subbed in for bench. I was doing 15-20 sets Of press 3x/week. I got really good at pressing.

When you say, "get stronger triceps and upper back" - do you mean,

a) that will come via pressing more?

Or

b) do assistance work to build triceps and upper back, thus increasing press effectiveness?

Or

b) do assistance work to build triceps and upper back, thus increasing press effectiveness?

It's 'B', as in "By God, not only does your press suck, but so does your reading comprehension."

Are you the type of idiot that puffs his chest and strolls around in a gym, sizing other members up to see how more alpha you are than them?

Quit being a goofy fuck and start pressing more. End of fucking thread.

The muscular attachments for traps are certainly brought closer together during the movement.

I've never done shrugs cause they seem weak sauce and not an advanced/worthwhile movement.

My body weight is 95 kgs

Traps are extremely important to the lockout of the overhead press. They stabilize the shoulder gurdle when the arms are extended overhead, and a shrug also initiates a proper overhead press. Shrugs and upright rows are good exercises, but I mostly built mine with muscle cleans. As for triceps work, dips are a great option. Triceps are often the sticking point when you can’t lock the bar out.

My body weight is 95 kgs

U have these numbers with these lifts but only press 60 with military press?
The yes, ur press is weak af.
Most i ever benched was 130kg
Most ive ever did with military press is 75. Like 4-5 reps. Think i could do 80 as well on a good day.

Or

Yes.

It's 'B', as in "By God, not only does your press suck, but so does your reading comprehension."

Are you the type of idiot that puffs his chest and strolls around in a gym, sizing other members up to see how more alpha you are than them?

Quit being a goofy fuck and start pressing more. End of fucking thread.

Do you mean pressing more..... weight?

Or just with more frequency?

Because if I could decide to just press more weight - I would definitely decide in favour of doing so.

In relation to my gym conduct - I'm the type that checks out every girls ass in eyeshot - and I fucking hate guys that bring their girlfriends to work out with them, but can't handle me staring at said girlfriends ass.

In relation to technique - I was flaring my elbows - so I corrected that this evening.

What I can say - is it's massively improved my bicep curl - which I normally do immediately after OHP'ing.

Gripping the bar at more natural width, straight - as oppose to an outward angle like I used to.

In relation to my gym conduct - I'm the type that checks out every girls ass in eyeshot - and I fucking hate guys that bring their girlfriends to work out with them, but can't handle me staring at said girlfriends ass.

r/iamverytough

Do you mean pressing more..... weight?

Or just with more frequency?

Because if I could decide to just press more weight - I would definitely decide in favour of doing so.

Here's an idea: how about you humble yourself and ask the "fucking dweeb" next to you what he's doing in regard to his OHP? Perhaps you can learn something new and valuable.

By the way, if you're going to the gym mainly for the purpose of checking out other girls' asses, then I don't think you have the right mentality for training in the first place.

I'm not sure where i stand but I'm 220lbs at 6' and can press 185lbs over my head standing for 3 reps. I think that's good. It's a struggle.

Have we all been trolled again? Thread should be dead, OP should be pressing and doing accessory work.

Alrighty.

I fixed my grip width - low and behold - my reps didn't increase, but the most I ever pressed for a single rep was 62.5 kgs.

I hit 67.5 kgs with the grip fix - without too much difficulty.

This dude seems to explain with good clarity - not to grip the bar too wide, or too narrow.

I assume I'm basically starting over with pressing now, and building muscle from square one.

Last edited:
Back