I absolutely cannot stand Big John McCarthy

it is what it is

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
His tough guy ref bullshit rubs me the wrong way, and can get borderline disrespectful. He the only ref that does this, and acts like he dealing with suspects instead of professional athletes......just don't like the man

Yeah I'm not a fan either. People were comparing Goddard to McCarthy in the Marlon Vera fight, but Goddard legit had reasons to be a dick.

He is a good ref though. When has he had any really bad stops?

I agree, watch earlier UFC matches when he's like in his 20's. He's even worse!

But i haven't seen any recent bad stops from him.

I don't like him for KOing Aldo

I've heard people say John's knee just glanced, but look at how Aldo's limbs react the second McCarthy makes impact, His knee puts him limp, not Conor.

Yeah I get tired of some of the overly vocal refs, including Big John at times. He does pull out the "do you know who I am" tone a little too often.

I can't think of the exact refs but there's a couple who immediately get annoyed if a fight goes to the ground. Within seconds they'll pull out the "advance your position or I'll stand you up" in a very condescending tone. That shit always annoys me.

Can't deny he's the best ref in the game, though

At least he's consistent.

Someone is going to die while Herb is reffing or have to get some dental work done if their mouthpiece comes out, Bisping's lucky he didn't lose any teeth yesterday.

He has a strange demeanor for sure. I think he's just going over the top to seem impartial. Given how friendly, and out going he is in almost any interview I see of him. It feels like he's just trying to make sure that he's drawing a line where his professionalism starts for the job. And makes it clear not to cross it. Just comes off as a bit much, he probably dosen't intend for it to be.

5587806e8060ff1f75252db5286272c4e5d371eeb04163e04b5c5a95680916d7.jpg

The fuck did Big John ever do to you?

Say what? o_O I love teh Big John and his strong armed disposition. :)

Big John was an LAPD cop in the late 80's and in the 90's and was training BJJ before anyone knew what it was. He has seen some serious shit and is a legit tough dude. He is a good ref because he's not intimidated or starstruck by any fighters.

Back