Hyun Gyu Lim - "I never even dreamed that I would miss weight."

Hufusopem

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
resize_limkkk78.jpg

--------------------------

On missing weight and not being able to fight.

I was beyond disappointed in myself. It took me a while to recover mentally. I just expected to be cut from the UFC. I am so thankful for another opportunity and really plan to make the best of it. I am preparing like this is my last chance.

What went wrong with the weight cut.

Now that I look back at it I just got too greedy. I really wanted to be in prime condition so my walk around weight was higher than usual. I never even dreamed that I would ever miss weight. All I was thinking about was the fight. I learned from that mistake that you could never overlook even one aspect when getting prepared for a fight. It was really a terrible experience but also a learning experience.

On facing Marcelo Guimaraes at UFC on Fuel 8 in Japan.

Luckily, I now have a chance to fight in Japan. I am satisfied because I will not have any jetlag. Even if I had ten mouths I have nothing to say. My family at Korean Top Team, all the fans who were cheering for me, I just want to say I am so sorry. I will fight like I am making up for the last fight and make all those disappointments disappear.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to seeing Krumble in action.

Lim will lay the smackdown on Guimares. There are some exciting match ups for Lim in the ufc, I hope he does well.

Yeah, whatever bro, just make the weight and i hope you worth the hype.

Lim will lay the smackdown on Guimares. There are some exciting match ups for Lim in the ufc, I hope he does well.

yeah I only translated his interview but the whole story made it seem like Lim was out of his mind and ready to beat someone up really bad. He actually made the last statement with both his fists completely clenched.

I seriously feel bad for Guimares, Lim is going to make a statement.

Of course he wasn't cut. The UFC is trying to build the asian market up and the list of fighters from that side of the world on their roster is few and far between.

Yeah, whatever bro, just make the weight and i hope you worth the hype.

Hyun Gyu Lim didn't make this thread, you are not speaking directly to him, I don't know who you think you are talking to

can anyone tell me his 'expected weight' and the 'real weight' he showed up?

maybe you should move up to the next weight class

Really he should save himself possible future embarassment and move up to middleweight. Besides his team mate "Stun Gun" already fights at Welterweight.

Really he should save himself possible future embarassment and move up to middleweight. Besides his team mate "Stun Gun" already fights at Welterweight.

This guy is already 6 foot 2 and has a reach of i believe 82 inches. The guy trains at around 205-210 pounds from what i remember reading. This guy is like the Asian version of Rumble. He should fight at MW, since that weight cutting will catch up to him.

This guy is already 6 foot 2 and has a reach of i believe 82 inches. The guy trains at around 205-210 pounds from what i remember reading. This guy is like the Asian version of Rumble. He should fight at MW, since that weight cutting will catch up to him.

Exactly what I was thinking. But he decided to fight at WW again so here's hoping for the best. Still I think he would be better suited for a career at MW.

Last edited:
How much he miss by? Sorry don't know the whole story.

like Rumble, he wants to fight at WW instead of MW so eventually he wont even be able to make 185lbs and will have to fight at 205lbs...

it has begun

no Dong Hyun Kim fights out of TEAM MAD, Lim is from KTT.

Korean Top Team
--------------------
Hyun Gyu Lim
Korean Zombie
Dongi Yang

TEAM MAD
=========
Dong Hyun Kim
Kang Kyung Ho
Bae Myung Ho

not to mention he never had problems with the weight cut ever before. he made a mistake of trying to be bigger than usual for his fight against Mitchell. As long as he maintains a lower walk around weight he will be fine. just from the way the whole team including him and his coach were so shocked he actually missed weight gives credence to the fact making the weight cut wasn't even thought of as an issue. in another words he obviously makes the weight without too much struggle usually.

also people comparing him to Rumble are way off in my opinion. Lim is a big guy right now but when he first started training he weight like 165 or something. so its not like he has that type of a frame like Rumble that carries a lot of natural mass.

no Dong Hyun Kim fights out of TEAM MAD, Lim is from KTT.

Korean Top Team
--------------------
Hyun Gyu Lim
Korean Zombie
Dongi Yang

TEAM MAD
=========
Dong Hyun Kim
Kang Kyung Ho
Bae Myung Ho

not to mention he never had problems with the weight cut ever before. he made a mistake of trying to be bigger than usual for his fight against Mitchell. As long as he maintains a lower walk around weight he will be fine. just from the way the whole team including him and his coach were so shocked he actually missed weight gives credence to the fact making the weight cut wasn't even thought of as an issue. in another words he obviously makes the weight without too much struggle usually.

also people comparing him to Rumble are way off in my opinion. Lim is a big guy right now but when he first started training he weight like 165 or something. so its not like he has that type of a frame like Rumble that carries a lot of natural mass.

Whatever countryman then. I'm sure Anthony Johnson never had these problems in his entire College Wrestling and MMA career till he made it to the UFC. Like I said he's staying at WW and I wish him the best. However I believe he would be healthier at MW. Eventually when your that big your body will shut down. That's why guys like Benson, Aldo, and Jones joke about moving up a weight class.

Back