Hypothetically. Worse matchup for Chael....

Theproof

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
A lot of People on here say Machida is a horrible matchup for Chael but I honestly think that Cheal could have a lot easier time taking him on than Weidman. Machida likes to use a lot of his movement and keep range to keep the fight standing and catch people coming in so he can counter. I guy like Chael will smother him against the cage and will look for takedowns the whole fight making Machida constantly be the defender. Machida would never be allowed to do what he usually does which is circle and setup kicks and counters. It might be tough to take him down but we've seen it before and Chael definitely has the tools to get the fight on the ground if need be. The only way I see Machida winning this fight is for him to finish Chael.

Weidman on the other hand in my eyes is possibly the worse possible match up for Chael in the MW division. Every strength that Chael has Weidman does better. I'd probably give chael the edge when it comes to takedowns but it's close. Obviously anything can happen in MMA but I just don't see how he would win this fight. Weidman is much larger and has the reach and boxing advantage. Chaels no slouch with his boxing but based off of what I've seen Weidman is superior in that department. It would be hard for Chael to take Weidman down and even if he got there he'd most likely get subbed in a heartbeat. I just don't see how Chael wins this fight.

Both are bad matchups for him, but I think Chris is nightmare fuel for chael

Yes, really Chael has no real chance at victory, outside of a fluke injury(see Bones broken toe), against Jacare.
Jacare has significant advantage in power standing and if Chael lands a TD it's gonna be a triangle choke in approx 30 seconds.

I'd say Weidman would also dominate much the same if they fought, but Chris has better overall standup and less jits skills than Jacare.

Chris Weidman, he's younger, better stand up, better wrestling, longer reach, equal overall size, taller, much better BJJ, more KO power and he's a finisher. It would look like Rashad vs Sonnen except he might finish him with a choke instead.

Chris Weidman, he's younger, better stand up, better wrestling, longer reach, equal overall size, taller, much better BJJ, more KO power and he's a finisher. It would look like Rashad vs Sonnen except he might finish him with a choke instead.

Better wrestling? Chris landed 1 takedown on Anderson in two fights, Chael landed 6. Chris got stopped twice, Chael got stopped once (with the help of fence grabbing)

Better wrestling? Chris landed 1 takedown on Anderson in two fights, Chael landed 6. Chris got stopped twice, Chael got stopped once (with the help of fence grabbing)

In their two fights Weidman was 2 of 4 on takedowns against Anderson, in Chael's two fights with Anderson he was 4 of 11. Weidman's wrestling was more successful, and if you want to talk about Anderson cheating in the second fight thats fine but you also have to talk about Sonnen cheating in the first fight by using PEDs.

Weidman's wrestling is better and his TDD is much better.

Weidman would annihilate Sonnen.

Ehm Chael got stuffed like 4 times in their first fight and 2-3 times in their second fight.Silva's 2nd tdd in the second fight was pretty slick and he wasn't even near the cage...

Jacare eeked out a dubious decision against Carmont, Sonnon would tool him

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Chael fucks up against wrestlers who can get on top and punch him in the face.
Guys like Evans, Jones.

He does well against strikers he can take down.

Jacare eeked out a dubious decision against Carmont, Sonnon would tool him

I'm glad you're not a judge, Jacare clearly won the first and third rounds, it was a very low pace fight but Jacare was the only one close to finishing and had more dominant positions and the only takedowns of the fight.

Back