Hypothetically, What Would it Take for McGregor or Nurmagomedov to Become the LW GOAT?

ArtemV

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I think McGregor would have a great chance of becoming the LW goat with wins over:

Kevin Lee, Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Dustin Poirier (again?), Eddie Alvarez (already beaten him) and Gaethje/Vick winner?

Nurmagomedov would be the LW goat if he were to beat:
Conor McGregor, Rafael Dos Anjos (already beaten him), Edson Barboza (Already beaten him), Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee and Darrell Horcher (already beaten). Poirier would make a great addition to his record too, and Alvarez, depending on where he signs now that his contract is finished.

Thoughts?

What would Khabib and Conor have to do to become the LW goat?

and yes, I joked when I wrote Darrell Horcher...

Really Conor couldn't. Khabib is going to be his 2nd fight at LW and I'm not sure if he even plans on figting much after that. If he did though, he'd have several guys to beat before he'd be in any GOAT discussion.

If either of them defend the strap a few times, "goat" would be difficult to deny.

Connor won't do it. He would need at least 5 or 6 more wins at LW and he won't stick around that long.

<PlusJuan><PlusJuan>

MMA is first and foremost business entertainment. Therefore the MMA fighter who generates most business and entertainment is the GOAT. This is according to none other than GSP himself

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/g...ners-first-people-need-to-understand.3809497/

Conor McGregor is the highest grossing UFC star by a long shot. He's the business GOAT, and since MMA is a business above all, Conor is the MMA GOAT.

MMA is actually a sport above all.

The UFC is a business.

About 5 years of consistently fighting at the top. Because neither are in the discussion right now.

Penn
Gomi
Aoki
Alvarez
and Melendez are all far ahead both of them

Same with Kawajiri, Hellboy Hansen, Frankie Edgar, Benson Henderson etc.

MMA is actually a sport above all.

The UFC is a business.

Did you see the thread I linked? Sport is entertainment based on its dictionary definition. Fighters are entertainers, first and foremost.

GSP said it himself and GSP >> you when it comes to all things MMA related.

Meh, I'm fine with TS's definition.
<mma4>

Conor has to beat Tony and Khabib.

Tony has to beat Khabib and Conor unless he ducks. If Conor won't take the fight because he is scared that is not Tony's fault.

Khabib had to to beat Conor and Tony.

I think McGregor would have a great chance of becoming the LW goat with wins over:

Kevin Lee, Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov, Dustin Poirier (again?), Eddie Alvarez (already beaten him) and Gaethje/Vick winner?

Nurmagomedov would be the LW goat if he were to beat:
Conor McGregor, Rafael Dos Anjos (already beaten him), Edson Barboza (Already beaten him), Tony Ferguson, Kevin Lee and Darrell Horcher (already beaten). Poirier would make a great addition to his record too, and Alvarez, depending on where he signs now that his contract is finished.

Thoughts?

What would Khabib and Conor have to do to become the LW goat?

and yes, I joked when I wrote Darrell Horcher...

With a win over Khabib, Conor already asserts himself as the LW GOAT over Frankie. LW has never had a consistently top guys that stand out. To me Frankie and Eddie have been the closest due to their longevity and consistency. However, I think the new crop of LWs are better or as good as any of them.

What a win over Khabib does is put him in the GOAT discussion P4P. Further wins against guys like Tony and Kevin or a WW belt would cement him as the undisputed GOAT.

Hypothetically, If Paulo Costa beats Yoel Romero, then fights for the title and wins, defends the belt 7-8 times, steps up a weight class and grabs a second belt and defends it at least once, will he be considered the GOAT?

Enough that there is no point in worrying about it right now.

If Khabib beats Conor and Tony, then we can start the conversation.

Did you see the thread I linked? Sport is entertainment based on its dictionary definition. Fighters are entertainers, first and foremost.

GSP said it himself and GSP >> you when it comes to all things MMA related.

Shut up nerd, I'd beat your ass.

I think Khabib has more of a chance at being considered GOAT at LW simply because he has more than just one fight at LW in the UFC. If Khabib beat Conor, Tony, Eddie and Dustin I would put him way up there if not at the top of the discussion.

Although not at the top of the division, I always thought Conor vs. Edson and Conor vs. Pettis would be fun fights to watch.

Back