Hypothetically speaking, what would have happened if Silva vs. Bisping took place in the year 2008?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Crash Lance, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Crash Lance

Crash Lance Green Belt

I have seen many users on Sherdog claim that Anderson Silva in his prime would have easily defeated Michael Bisping (despite the fact that Anderson is only 4 years older than Michael). There are even users on Sherdog that think the Anderson Silva vs. Michael Bisping battle should be turned into a No Contest/No Decision.

In the year 2008, Anderson Silva was the UFC Middleweight World Champion.

In 2008, Michael Bisping decided to move from the Light Heavyweight division to the Middleweight division.

I suppose that UFC 90 (which took place on October 25, 2008) would be the best time for this hypothetical encounter.

On October 25, 2008, Anderson Silva was 33 years old and Michael Bisping was 29 years old. Again, I must emphasize the fact that ANDERSON SILVA IS ONLY FOUR YEARS OLDER THAN MICHAEL BISPING.

According to Zuffa/UFC, Anderson Silva is 6 ft 2 in tall (1.88 meters). Michael Bisping is 6 ft 1 in tall (1.85 meters). Obviously, this hypothetical duel would be for the UFC Middleweight (171 lb - 185 lb) World Championship and it would be scheduled for a maximum of 5 rounds.

Before UFC 90, Anderson Silva already had 3 title defences. He had won his last eight competitions. Yushin Okami was the last person to defeat Anderson Silva (and it was by Disqualification). At the time, Anderson's record in MMA was 24-4 and his record in Boxing was 1-1.

Anderson's most recent victory was against James Irvin when he stopped him in the first round. Silva decided to temporarily move to the Light Heavyweight division at UFC Fight Night 14: Silva vs. Irvin.

After UFC Fight Night 14, James Irvin tested positive for Methadone and Oxymorphone.

Before October 2008, Michael Bisping had won his last two fights. Rashad Evans was the last person to defeat Michael Bisping (and it was by a close split decision). After losing his first battle, Michael Bisping decided to move to the Middleweight division. At the time, Michael's record was 16-1 in MMA.

Michael's most recent victory was against Jason Day when he stopped him in the first round at UFC 85.

At UFC 90, the #1 contender was Yushin Okami. However, Okami injured himself and could not compete at UFC 90. Therefore, Zuffa/UFC chose Patrick Côté to replace Yushin. Anderson Silva stopped Patrick in the third round.

Before UFC 90, Patrick Côté's record was 13-4 in MMA. Nowadays, he is in the Welterweight division.

Obviously, the reason that Zuffa/UFC could not give Bisping a title shot was because he had just won a decision against Chris Leben at UFC 89 (which took place on October 18, 2008).

After UFC 89, Chris Leben tested positive for Stanozolol steroids. It should be noted that Chris Leben is 1-0 against Patrick Côté. He won a close split decision against Côté in 2005.

Obviously, every day is different but how different do you think that Anderson Silva vs. Michael Bisping would have been in 2008 after you saw what happened in 2016?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
    Mr Wings likes this.
  2. Yari

Yari ななせまる

3. JonKunDo

JonKunDo Postin 25/8

I think Mike would have had his hypothetical face planted into the hypothetical canvas.

(And for the record, Bisping's my favorite fighter)

thoughtsone, RTL, adnatal and 4 others like this.
  4. Repsac

Repsac Purple Belt

Bisping would be champ and hailed as the great white hope.

CoachBombay likes this.
  5. Ballsaque

Ballsaque Purple Belt

Bispings head would explode like a water melon.

The times Anderson actually tried, he almost killed Bisping. Too bad he spend 90% of the fight standing at the fence pretending he was at a rave... How the mighty have fallen.

Gamer007, Zarra and SenorFranko like this.
  6. Crash Lance

Crash Lance Green Belt

Anything is possible.

But do you at least agree that Michael Bisping would have been more worthy of a title shot than Patrick Côté?

7. Hazuki Ryo

Hazuki Ryo Green Belt

Didn't read, like everyone else. And you know the answer to your question

CoachBombay, EuRapaz, adnatal and 2 others like this.
  8. Tyrannosaurus rex

Tyrannosaurus rex GrizzlyTitan

Anderson by KO I´d say.

adnatal and Gamer007 like this.
  9. I am Everywhere

I am Everywhere Sherdog Millionaire

I wrote a good thread about it. Bisping wins it.

Iroh likes this.
  10. Tuf_guy

Tuf_guy Silver Belt

First post nailed it.
    Watch Bisping vs Henderson (wasn't that in 2008?) Then your doubts about the outcome will be washed away.

11. Tuf_guy

Tuf_guy Silver Belt

Your thread sounds flawed my fren

12. Crash Lance

Crash Lance Green Belt

No, that bout was in the year 2009.

13. JonKunDo

JonKunDo Postin 25/8

ha, just dicking about.. Cote got a pretty undeserved crack, I'm not sure he got a single top 10 win; it was a pointless fight to make, but he was in the right place at the right time. I think the most important part about fighting Silva now as apposed to then is that his legend is kind of cracked now (along with his chin), where as then he was scary and intimidating which was fundamental to the way he was fighting. Bisping on the other hand let reputations and occasional get the better of him in the past; I think in the past he'd have likely broke in a way he most definitely didn't last night.

14. Crash Lance

Crash Lance Green Belt

Very well. In that case, what about the January 2016 build of Michael Bisping (who is 36 years old) competing against the October 2008 build of Anderson Silva (who is 33 years old)?

What do you think happens then?

15. JonKunDo

JonKunDo Postin 25/8

haha, I'm still taking time-tunnell Silva; but Mike won last night and that's all I care about :)

16. Crash Lance

Crash Lance Green Belt

I hope that no one at UFC Fight Night 84: Silva vs. Bisping was cheating.

It would certainly ruin Michael Bisping's victory if he is caught being a cheater and the result is changed into a No Contest.

However, I am certain that you and the rest of Michael Bisping's fans will still consider it a victory for Michael (just like the fans of Nick Diaz ignore the official result of No Contest in the fight against Takanori Gomi).

17. Crash Lance

Crash Lance Green Belt

In my opinion, you are not doing a good enough job as a "fan of Michael Bisping."

In case you were wondering, I am not a fan of Michael Bisping. However, after seeing all of the disrespect and hatred that Michael Bisping receives on Sherdog and the rest of the internet, I might become a fan of Michael Bisping (on the condition that he becomes the UFC Middleweight World Champion [as unlikely as that is]).

Now that I think about it, Michael Bisping IS THE UFC MIDDLEWEIGHT WORLD CHAMPION.

Michael Bisping is 1-1 against Luke Rockhold.

Michael Bisping is 1-0 against Anderson Silva.

Hopefully, no one at UFC 199 was cheating. By the way, Anderson Silva is a cheater.

18. JonKunDo

JonKunDo Postin 25/8

Then maybe you should look through my last 7 or 8 years posts on the subject? I've done a pretty fucking good job as a fan when everyone hated the guy and will carry on until the end. Thanks. Having said that I'm not gonna say dumb shit like a 12 year old Bisping beats prime Fedor or whatever just because I'm a fan of the guy, that's a waste of everyone's time.

19. EGarrett

EGarrett Silver Belt

[​IMG]

20. Crash Lance

Crash Lance Green Belt

In lieu of actually researching your claims, I will simply believe what you wrote.

I hope that I did not vex you when I said that you are not doing well enough. However, I still think that Michael Bisping winning the UFC Middleweight World Championship (which he did) is about as unlikely as any event in MMA or perhaps all sports in the universe.

Why is it that a prognosticator can be insane for predicting a possible (but very unlikely) victory for Michael Bisping against Anderson Silva in the year 2008 but be considered less psychotic if they predict Michael Bisping (who is obviously the same person) will collect a slew of awesome victories culminating in his capture of the UFC Middleweight World Championship in 2016?

By the way, Michael Bisping only had 17 days to prepare for the titlist (Luke Rockhold). On the other hand, Luke Rockhold had a complete training camp to compete against SOMEONE who is a professional athlete that wanted to decapitate him at UFC 199 on June 4, 2016. What was Michael Bisping doing while Luke Rockhold was preparing for his first title defence? Enjoying tea and crumpets?

It is very unlikely that MB has more than zero title defences as champion and that is fine. Hell, many individuals on Sherdog considered MB to be a "gatekeeper" as recently as February 2016. Having said that, however, I would be stoked if MB has four or more title defences.

At the end of the day, you and I can be as elated as we want to be that Michael Bisping proved that anything is possible. I say that anything is possible every day, as a matter of fact.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016