hypothetical situation

Respeezy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Lets say you get your Bluebelt from your instructor , but you still haven't competed yet .

You don't feel like you have all the basics down yet ,and feel like you should to be blue.

Not that its your decision to decide what you should be able to do to be blue but hey.

So would it be disrespectfull or wrong to enter a white belt tournament in this hypothetical situation? ( while beeing a blue)

Or should you respectfully decline the belt? ( and enter the whitebelt tourney)

I honestly don't think it would be wrong. You have never competed before in an actual competition, so you really don't know how well you would fair in competitive competition. You may have the ability of a blue belt, but be unable to perform at the ability of a blue belt in competition. If it turns out you are sandbagging or setting the bar too low, you will move up quickly and enter tournaments designed for blue belts.

just telll him that you want to compete as a white belt and you do not want the blue belt for a while.

no big deal at all.

Stop being scared. you'll get more satisfaction out of training for a blue belt tournament and losing then going back to white belt and winning.

Whats the worse that could happen? If you get flying armbarred in 30 seconds, you wont be the first or the last.

If you weren't ready for blue, you should've turned it down. Taking it off for a tournament sounds like sandbagging.

It is completely disrespectful and wrong. It is telling your instructor you don't respect his opinion. I think that would be as disrespectful as walking into class with a blue belt when you are a white belt. It is also disrespectful to any opponents in your division.

If one of my teammates did this I would go knee on belly and try to touch my knee to the mat through their liver.

enter your current belt level for gi and current experience level for no gi.

then enter absolute and get your ass handed to you. For the experience of course.

:)

Accept the belt and compete at the level your instructor thinks you're at. He knows better than you. What, you want to sandbag or something?

If your instructor gives you a blue belt, you are a blue belt. No giving it back, and DEFINITELY no entering a white belt division at a tournament.

Best thing to do is compete as soon as possible with that new belt - no pressure that way.

Tell the teacher you want to compete before getting the blue. Simple as that. It's important to gauge yourself, and it's a good way to exorcise the fear of competing, especially in the white belt level. Don't go around saying "professor I don't want to be blue belt professor", just approach him and tell him that you want your first competition to be at the white belt level. At the very least, he would be able to forward you to the closest tournament.

Tell the teacher you want to compete before getting the blue. Simple as that. It's important to gauge yourself, and it's a good way to exorcise the fear of competing, especially in the white belt level. Don't go around saying "professor I don't want to be blue belt professor", just approach him and tell him that you want your first competition to be at the white belt level. At the very least, he would be able to forward you to the closest tournament.

I think he already received his blue belt. He wants to give it back.

If your instructor gives you a blue belt, you are a blue belt. No giving it back, and DEFINITELY no entering a white belt division at a tournament.

Best thing to do is compete as soon as possible with that new belt - no pressure that way.

This.

that's called sandbagging, don't do it

I haven't received it yet :icon_chee,
but around here there are maybe 2 tournaments max every year , so i guess this situation will probably happen any time soon , also my instructor isn't the biggest fan of competing.

Tnx for the reply's everyone , i'll just tell my instructor how i feel about it.

This situation feels like...
You know how when you grab a woman's breast... it feels like... a bag of sand.

enter as a blue belt and get your ass kicked...or win. who knows what will happen. your instructors job is to know and be able to assess your level of proficiency better than you. disrespect aside, entering a tourney as a white belt because YOU feel youre not ready is the pussified thing to do.

no disrespect to pussy..it takes a licking and keeps on ticking

Lets say you get your Bluebelt from your instructor , but you still haven't competed yet .

You don't feel like you have all the basics down yet ,and feel like you should to be blue.

Not that its your decision to decide what you should be able to do to be blue but hey.

So would it be disrespectfull or wrong to enter a white belt tournament in this hypothetical situation? ( while beeing a blue)

Or should you respectfully decline the belt? ( and enter the whitebelt tourney)

Imo, compete as a blue if you decide that you want to compete. I think it would be disrespectful and dishonest to compete at a lower belt level, and disrespectful to return your blue belt.

A lot of people don't feel up to their belt level when they get promoted, that's normal. If you decide that competition is what you want to do, then use it to bring you up to a level where you feel strong as a blue belt.

Back