Hypothetical Proposition: To Love Or Not...

It might take me awhile to actually grasp that notion, especially when I'm not you.

Although, intrinsically feeling appreciation for things is a form of pleasure.

tbh if you can't understand why or how I feel the way I do then my guess is you're simply more emotionally mature than I am as a person and you're actually capable of experiencing pleasure without losing yourself in it.

I can appreciate taking pleasure in life but I'm not sure if I can necessarily take pleasure in appreciating life. For example; pleasure entails the absence of suffering yet I can appreciate suffering. So I can't take pleasure in appreciating suffering.

If this is completely wrong then I'm using the wrong words to describe what I believe, but this is how I understand the concepts of pleasure and appreciation:

Appreciation is a form of well-being but it's a well-being that derives from within and results from internal authenticity of self. Pleasure derives externally as a behavioral reward we seek from life and results from the outside world stimulating the pleasure center in our brain.

As dumb as it sounds I tend to feel such great pressure to do anything to hold onto a feeling of pleasure and not let it escape that I'm not even able to let myself enjoy it for what it is when it is.

Actually been there, done that as well... Funny how that works.

tbh if you can't understand why or how I feel the way I do then my guess is you're simply more emotionally mature than I am as a person and you're actually capable of experiencing pleasure without losing yourself in it.

I can appreciate taking pleasure in life but I'm not sure if I can necessarily take pleasure in appreciating life. For example; pleasure entails the absence of suffering yet I can appreciate suffering. So I can't take pleasure in appreciating suffering.

If this is completely wrong then I'm using the wrong words to describe what I believe, but this is how I understand the concepts of pleasure and appreciation:

Appreciation is a form of well-being but it's a well-being that derives from within and results from internal authenticity of self. Pleasure derives externally as a behavioral reward we seek from life and results from the outside world stimulating the pleasure center in our brain.

It could be semantics but, still, that is a convincing theoretical.

Off the top my head, I listen to Radiohead's somber, love-lorn themed song Creep and I appreciate the music and message and also do gain pleasure from anguishing vicariously along with it. Is that idiotic?

I think it could go both ways.

Btw, Where'd you get that Faust excerpt?

Last edited:
A year wouldn't be enough.

Think about what it would feel like to lose that kind of love. The pain would be as equally immeasurable as the year of pleasure. It would cancel out. I'm getting sad just thinking about it.

Man, I'm really feelin the feels lately. I need a good prostitute and some therapy sessions.

Pure true love is the Great White Buffalo? What? I've had pure true love before, and I'm currently getting it from the girl of my dreams. Who would limit themselves to a year of that?

Pure true love is the Great White Buffalo (Hot Tub Time Machine)? What? I've had pure true love before, and I'm currently getting it from the girl of my dreams. Who would limit themselves to a year of that?

Just a silly question, mate.

So 1 year of bliss and then the rest would be meaningless hookups? Is that what we are saying?

I'd take the one year deal for sure. The crazy bit at the beginning of the relationship is awesome, but it is risky because it leads to marriage/long-term relationship, which is basically an endless process of fighting, humiliating compromise, swallowing your words and being subjected to constant complaint and criticism. One year hormone bomb, no repercussions and then guaranteed just fun with no long term crap, that would be perfect.

A year wouldn't be enough.

Think about what it would feel like to lose that kind of love. The pain would be as equally immeasurable as the year of pleasure. It would cancel out. I'm getting sad just thinking about it.

Man, I'm really feelin the feels lately. I need a good prostitute and some therapy sessions.

:icon_sad:

I'd take the one year deal for sure. The crazy bit at the beginning of the relationship is awesome, but it is risky because it leads to marriage/long-term relationship, which is basically an endless process of fighting, humiliating compromise, swallowing your words and being subjected to constant complaint and criticism. One year hormone bomb, no repercussions and then guaranteed just fun with no long term crap, that would be perfect.

:cool:

Actually been there, done that as well... Funny how that works.

It could be semantics but, still, that is a convincing theoretical.

Off the top my head, I listen to Radiohead's somber, love-lorn themed song Creep and I appreciate the music and message and also do gain pleasure from anguishing vicariously along with it. Is that idiotic?

I think it could go both ways.

Btw, Where'd you get that Faust excerpt?

*Appreciation of suffering:

Once an elderly general practitioner consulted me because of his severe depression. He could not overcome the loss of his wife who had died two years before and whom he had loved above all else. Now, how can I help him? What should I tell him? Well, I refrained from telling him anything but instead confronted him with the question;

“What would have happened, Doctor, if you had died first, and your wife would have had to survive you?”

“Oh,” he said, “for her this would have been terrible; how she would have suffered!”

Whereupon I replied, “You see, Doctor, such a suffering has been spared her, and it was you who have spared her this suffering — to be sure, at the price that now you have to survive and mourn her.”

He said no word but shook my hand and calmly left my office. In some way, suffering ceases to be suffering at the moment it finds a meaning, such as the meaning of a sacrifice.​
- Dr. Viktor Frankl, Man's Search For Meaning

*Radiohead is GOAT

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goethe's_Faust

You do know your emotions on E are artificial and not indicative of your true self/nature right?

This love embodies/appeals to your best nature with natural serotonin release. That's the whole point of it all isn't it.

I have to say that is typical contemporary cynicism we have here.

Serotonin release is serotonin release. That's not love. Love is the single mom working three jobs to pay bills and feed kids. Love is a commitment.

fuck one year of awesomeness. THis would create more suffering.

*Appreciation of suffering:

Once an elderly general practitioner consulted me because of his severe depression. He could not overcome the loss of his wife who had died two years before and whom he had loved above all else. Now, how can I help him? What should I tell him? Well, I refrained from telling him anything but instead confronted him with the question;

You'd want to kill yourself a 1000x over once the year was up. Better to live in the real world and work at love and finding it as best you can.

Back