HYPOTHETICAL: If Conor beats RDA and then Lawler at 200, is he the GOAT?

I'm not sure why you keep trying to compare Conor's climb to the Machida Era? Machida never beat the #1 p4p fighter in the world in 13 seconds. Machida also never challenged for the belt in the weight class above him, immediately after doing so. How is that even similar?
The hype. Machida won the belt, had an incredible run and people were saying how he was seemingly unbeatable. Machida then lost and fell into a spot where he is very good, but not a champ. Conner is currently in a similar boat(only more popular because he is funny and has that incredible knock out) But the fact is, he could go win all 3 belts, then lose to Rory and Condit back to back, and fall back into the lightweight division and fail to defend/recapture the title. Would he still be GOAT then? His run would be up there for sure, top 3. But career wise no he wouldn't be.

Also, wasn't Machida champ of the weight class currently above him?

It would make him GOAT. He would've done what nobody in the history of the sport has done at the highest level. When he beats RDA he will already be the only guy to ever hold two undisputed titles in two different weight classes simultaneously, and hypothetically if he beat Lawler, then that'd just be ridiculous.

BTW, I don't expect Lawler to even be champion if/when Conor does decide to move up and challenge for the WW belt, assuming the UFC brass even allows him to do it. The next champion is looking like it'll be Wonderboy who would be a much tougher match-up (bigger, longer, far better striking) than Lawler would be for Conor.

He would be top 5. IMO beating top 5 ranked contenders decisively in a given weight class for years on end is more impressive, i.e. Jones, GSP, Anderson. Let's not get too ahead of oursleves tho. Personally tho, I'd rather see him give Edgar his shot so he buys time for a Conor vs Wonderboy 170lb title fight.

If he beat RDA

Then Robbie

Then Frankie

Then Wonderboy

Then hell yeah why not? 3 belts and a few defenses against tough challengers.

Personally if he just beat RDA then Robbie then retired I think he would never completely get over not having ANY defenses in the GOAt discussion when there are Anderson with 10 defenses plus 3 LHW wins (and his win over sakurai early in his career when sakurai was #1 p4p) or Jones with 8 defenses including murders row or GSP untouchable and retiring on top having dominated for years or Fedor with 9 years unbeaten and slayings of many UFC champs

Getting to the top is an incredible achievement, STAYING on top makes you an MMA God.

He'd be in the conversion for sure but not clear cut without a few defenses. (Even if they were favorable matchups, like for example if they kept him away from bigger wrestlers like Khabib, Alvarez, Hendricks, etc.)

Well yeah, it kinda goes without saying, he would have captured gold in the 3 toughest divisions.

If he beats RDA, then Lawler, then Rockhold then Jones, no doubt hes a GOAT, but he woon't beat RDA, he probably lose to Edgar after too

Thing is - i'd be really surprised if they let him keep the FW title at that point. While it's a great accomplishment - how practical is it, really? I get that money talks - but to the point where anywhere from 10-12 fighters across three divisions have to sit and wait for him to make his mind up? If you're an up and comer in any of those divisions, why bother coming to the UFC if they're going to let one guy have that kind of power? While in the short term it's a nice novelty - I can't imagine them letting him hold all three weight divisions down.

I also think it's kind of absurd he just gets to pass over an entire division without cleaning it out. Maybe Edgar is left at FW, but he beat everyone down there. Khabib and others are down at LW and should probably get a shot. There are a ton of fights to be made there. Then at WW between Condit, Lawler - and who knows - maybe GSP sees that $$$... That's already five guys I don't think anyone would deny probably deserve a crack at Conor. That's not including an Aldo rematch, any emerging FW or lightweights, etc. I just can't see them allowing him to tamp down three divisions.

Anyone who thinks Rockhold wouldn't vaporize him is a drooling, fundamentalist idiot. Just stop it. Jones might *actually* kill him. Or Cormier. Or Gus. Literally just pick any of them. He'd die. On live TV.

WW is a colossal mountain to climb. Would love to see him stab at it - but if that's in the cards, the needs to drop the FW belt. There's no point, at that point.

I'd be a top five run but not even fucking close to goat. When its 2020 and he hasn't lost a fight we'll talk.

Yes for awhile but then he'd go back down and lose to Frankie, Khabib or Tony Ferguson and everyone'd agree he had a very favorable match up against Lawler and that RDA did not have the needed wrestling to expose him ...or some like that

This thread is a riot. You can spot Fedor fanboys and Aldo Widows from a mile away.

I'm not so sure. It would be an incredible accomplishment, but looking and the current challengers for goat: Anderson, Fedor, Jones, Gsp, longevity and beating contender after contender is what put them there.

Slow down speed racer, let him defend a belt at LEAST one time, geez.

Hypothetical: If a goat mates with a goat you get another goat. Who does Conor need to mate with to make the next generation GOAT?

Back