Hypothetical fight - Aldo vs Barao. Who wins?

Angryfish

White Belt
Reaction score
As title says. Who do you think wins and why? If they were to ever fight that is.

Edit: If a mod could add a poll that would be great.

Last edited:
Barao has shown a good chin recently so I think he survives Aldo's superior striking in the first 3 rounds, then tkos Aldo in the fifth. I don't think either of them takes the other one down for more than a few seconds.

Aldo. I think he's as good at everything with more power and better leg kicks.

Aldo. Faster, better timing and hard to hold down or get hold of.

Aldo wins. Barao is good, but I don't even see him beating a healthy Cruz at this point. Aldo has been consistently fighting top notch competition since 08.

Aldo wins. Barao is good, but I don't even see him beating a healthy Cruz at this point. Aldo has been consistently fighting top notch competition since 08.

Really? I think Barao would make Cruz look like a fool. While Cruz had problems with Urijah and got knocked down by him a few times, Barao tooled him. And I know MMAth doesn't work but still. Barao also has supreme striking with finishing power. I think he would land on Cruz pretty quickly and finish him.

Also ring rust.

Would never happen, but just for shits and giggles...

I think barao would bring out the old aldo, the killer. Aldo by being a mean rabid animal and straight starching barao within 4

I gotta go with Aldo here......I think he is just a bit better everywhere then Barao......and he is the bigger guy

That's...fairly crazy.

Barao would have been the favorite over a fully healthy Cruz. Just compare their Faber fights - Cruz and Faber had a good battle, Faber landed a number of hard shots on Cruz. Barao breezed through Faber and completely neutralized him.

Against injured, out 2 years Cruz, I'd be absolutely stunned if Cruz won that fight. And I'm pretty sure bookies would be stunned if Cruz won that fight too. Cruz isn't going to be what he used to be, and he probably wasn't as good as Barao anyway.

You could also use the Faber fights to compare Aldo and Barao actually. Aldo beat Faber so mercilessly that he actually took pity on him in the fifth. That was one of the most brutal one-sided 5 round beatings ever.

Barao totally shut Faber down and won easily, but Faber wasn't barely able to stand like after the Aldo fight.

Barao is good but Aldo is just better at everything IMO. They fight with a very similar style - perfect Muay Thai technique, combined with incredible TDD and explosiveness.

However Aldo is better than Barao at everything, except maybe cardio.

I mean if the fight is at 135 Barao probably wins because Aldo would kill himself with the weight cut and be gassed before the fight started. But at 145, I have a hard time seeing Barao beat Aldo who does everything Barao does great, but even better.

Really? I think Barao would make Cruz look like a fool. While Cruz had problems with Urijah and got knocked down by him a few times, Barao tooled him. And I know MMAth doesn't work but still. Barao also has supreme striking with finishing power. I think he would land on Cruz pretty quickly and finish him.

Also ring rust.

If Aldo beats Cruz (which I don't think he will), it'll be close.

Also, not only does MMAth not work, but they both fought Faber in different ways. Cruz and Faber went after each other for five rounds, tearing each other up. Barao and Faber basically sparred with a little extra intensity for five rounds.

ring rust and the injury are the only things that I think put dom at a significant disadvantage, but if anybody can come back after a debilitating injury, it's dom

If Aldo beats Cruz (which I don't think he will), it'll be close.

Also, not only does MMAth not work, but they both fought Faber in different ways. Cruz and Faber went after each other for five rounds, tearing each other up. Barao and Faber basically sparred with a little extra intensity for five rounds.

ring rust and the injury are the only things that I think put dom at a significant disadvantage, but if anybody can come back after a debilitating injury, it's dom

I was going to go after you about Aldo not being able to beat Cruz, but i figured you probably meant Barao.

jose aldo by tko. jose aldo is virtually better in every aspect and that says a lot seeing that barao is a freak of nature himself.

I was going to go after you about Aldo not being able to beat Cruz, but i figured you probably meant Barao.

yeah, I meant Barao

although I would be interested in a Cruz/Aldo matchup if Cruz does beat Barao

IMO Cruz is THE most underrated current UFC champ and easily one of the most underrated fighters ever

Supposedly Barao weighs about 160 on fight night, there is virtually no size disadvantage (also, both have a 70 inch reach, Aldo is one inch taller). This is the link to the article that allegedly says he fights at 160, but I don't speak portugeuse so I can't confirm.

http://sportv.globo.com/site/combat...-fisico-divide-beliche-com-atleta-no-rio.html

If you break down their technique and athleticism, you have to give a slight edge to Aldo on almost every front. But if you talk about who's hungrier, I think you gotta go with Barao. Aldo has seemed like he's been coasting ever since he got into the UFC, and he's only gotten more rich over the span. Barao is still talking about how every dollar he makes goes to help his family. The talent gap is very narrow in this fight, so I see it coming down to who can dig deepest in the championship rounds. Aldo has traditionally faded late.

yeah, I meant Barao

although I would be interested in a Cruz/Aldo matchup if Cruz does beat Barao

IMO Cruz is THE most underrated current UFC champ and easily one of the most underrated fighters ever
IMO you're overrating Cruz to holy hell and back.

And I'm positive if the fight gets booked Cruz will be a significant underdog to Barao.

Back