Hypothetical catch weight: Askren vs Khabib

kmartje

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Apologies if this has come up before and I get that it will never happen but still could be an interesting discussion. Also has the potential to be the most boring/interesting fight depending on your preference.

Say they meet somewhere between 155-170. Who wins this fight? The Olympic wrestler or the bear wrestler :)

Wrestling vs Sambo.

Askren might be a little to big for Khabib though, not sure really.

This came up like 3 hours ago.

Anyway, Askren.

Their size is similar, so Khabib won't have a size advantage. I think Askren's wrestling is just too elite, even for a guy who wrassles bears. I don't think people respect Askren's wrestling enough, since he's outside of the UFC, but his MMA wrestling is as good as it can get. The only person that could beat Askren is GSP IMO, and that would be a toss-up.

Go ahead, call me crazy.

Khabib couldn't take Tibau down and I doubt he could take Askren down. I do think Khabib's striking is more developed so he could win if he can avoid getting taken down.

Askren via hypothetical 5 rounds of pinning down and slapping Khabib around.

Wrestling vs Sambo.

Askren might be a little to big for Khabib though, not sure really.

Honestly I don't think so. Khabib is a big LW and Askren a small WW.

Khabib_Nurmagomedov_Instagram_Post_September_19_2014-70345.jpg

In MMA fight its a toss up, in a straight grappling match Askren eats him for breakfast.

Askren via hypothetical 5 rounds of pinning down and slapping Khabib around.

You and I agree too much on match ups.

TS, Khabib is beast but his top control isnt nearly as oppressive as Askren's.

I just feel like Askren would out wrestle him. Both have mediocre standup so if they couldnt take it to the ground I have no idea.

You and I agree too much on match ups.

TS, Khabib is beast but his top control isnt nearly as oppressive as Askren's.

I just feel like Askren would out wrestle him. Both have mediocre standup so if they couldnt take it to the ground I have no idea.

It's too bad that even if Askren makes it to the UFC and is capable of making 155, we'll probably never get to see it.

I don't see Askren ever attempting to fight at 155 as long as Pettis is the champ or a top contender.

This came up like 3 hours ago.

Anyway, Askren.

Their size is similar, so Khabib won't have a size advantage. I think Askren's wrestling is just too elite, even for a guy who wrassles bears. I don't think people respect Askren's wrestling enough, since he's outside of the UFC, but his MMA wrestling is as good as it can get. The only person that could beat Askren is GSP IMO, and that would be a toss-up.

Go ahead, call me crazy.

You're crazy but i agree with you.

Khabib is good no doubt, but there are a lot of WW wrestlers that would beat him. Askren is an elite WW wrestler.

Khabib couldn't take Tibau down and I doubt he could take Askren down. I do think Khabib's striking is more developed so he could win if he can avoid getting taken down.

x3Vts8o.gif

i'd probably pick Askren...Khabib is vastly overrated and his standup is among the worst ive seen ...his cardio and Korean Zombie type pace is another story doh

Askren IMO. I love Khabib but Askren is so underrated because people dislike him.

lol Askren was getting stuffed and oustruck by Jay Hieron. Come on now.

I'd favor Khabib to keep it standing and repeatedly tag Askren with his horrible footwork and utter lack of head movement.

Back