hypocritical to insult Bellator about Kimbo vs Dada, but not talk bad about UFC setting up CM Punk

Its also ignorant and asinine to act like mma promotions shouldn't be held accountable by the fans for putting on celebrity tuf man competitions that devolve into complete shitshows where someone almost dies as a direct result of being untrained and not having enough cardio to stand up for 10 minutes.....

Do i think cm punk should be getting his first mma fight in the UFC? no

Do i think if he wasn't actually training and going to be well prepared for the fight that the ufc would let him get in the cage? Hell no...
To be fair, it's up to the athletic commissions to prevent physically unfit fighters from entering the ring, not the promotion, unless you are suggesting that promotions institute their own physicals on top of what the ACs already provide.

To be fair, it's up to the athletic commissions to prevent physically unfit fighters from entering the ring, not the promotion, unless you are suggesting that promotions institute their own physicals on top of what the ACs already provide.

Clearly Texas will let any clown in there who can write their name (or alias, in this case).

If the state is going to be completely irresponsible with their duty to prevent unnecessary injury and death in the sport, then the promotions have a moral obligation to make sure people dont die at their shows.

Someone should have stopped dada from getting in the cage that night. If he wasn't going to get in shape, he should have stopped himself aswell, but there needs to be some protection for even the dumbest of fighters.

You have no idea how CM Punk will do. If he shows up with great cardio, and an understanding of the game, he would have already had a better showing than Dada. If he shows up, is a total joke, and gasses out in the first, you may have a point. This Dada guy was in no shape to be fighting in a professional fighting organization, and it almost cost him his life. I think CM Punk will have a much better showing, even if he loses.....

If the state is going to be completely irresponsible with their duty to prevent unnecessary injury and death in the sport, then the promotions have a moral obligation to make sure people dont die at their shows.

Sorry bro, you lost me here. I don't think promotions have a moral obligation to do anything, quite frankly.

If you're getting into morality they shouldnt even allow men to beat each other unconscious for the drunken masses honestly. So I'd prefer save the moral stuff for a different arena.

For sure the fight was not a good showcase of the sport especially in terms of athleticism and technique.
But how to blame Bellator to try to make some easy money setting up a fight between 2 street brawlers from the same hood.

For god's sake 1 fighter is 42 (K) and the other one is 38 (D5000). What u expected from 2 guys that when they said they trained their whole life they mean that they lift up weights the whole day in the backyard or in prison and then they brawled to kill the time???

They had prior notice. We expected them to train and be in shape for the fight. Not to almost die from standing and leaning for 10 minutes.

And when a CM Punk fight actually happens, you can feel free to complain about it.

Let's reframe this: If your girl says CM Punk can bang her whenever he wants, would you only complain to her when he does?

Let's reframe this: If your girl says CM Punk can bang her whenever he wants, would you only complain to her when he does?

The problem with that analogy is that my relationship with the UFC isn't predicated on them never, ever banging another guy.

The UFC hasn't booked a fight for this guy yet. Maybe one day they will. Maybe that fight won't be terrible. Maybe that fight will be a mediocre fight between a celebrity and the best match they can make. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

The UFC already crossed this line with the Toney fight and the world didn't end.

Having punk doesn't take away from the UFC still having 95% of the elite fighters in the world. And they are not bringing in someone for Punk like Coker does with his freak fights. Like Kimbo (in the UFC) and Toney Punk will have to fight a real UFC fighter.

UFC also just had their biggest year. Not really "hurting" or "desperate" as you imply.

Uhhhhh have you been paying attention at all?

Let's recap.

Dana didn't even have an opponent picked out for Phil (and yes, I will call him Phil from here on out because it's ridiculous for a 37 year old man to be identified by two consonants and a genre) until he did that Looking For A Fight show (which is less a search for real talent and more av excuse for Dana to get himself more screen time) and Mickey Gall (who was 1-0 after the fight Dana just watched. unimpressive, but decent win) got on the mic and called out Phil himself.

Also, you wrote Toney Punk which is appropriate because I see James Toney and Phil having very similar MMA career trajectories.

The problem with that analogy is that my relationship with the UFC isn't predicated on them never, ever banging another guy.

The UFC hasn't booked a fight for this guy yet. Maybe one day they will. Maybe that fight won't be terrible. Maybe that fight will be a mediocre fight between a celebrity and the best match they can make. Maybe, maybe, maybe.

The UFC already crossed this line with the Toney fight and the world didn't end.

The UFC booking a fight for the guy isn't the issue, you and I know both know they would if he were healthy. The fact that a guy with no credibility can fight in the UFC on a whim is shocking and totally goes against what the UFC's mission statement has been since Zuffa purchased the company. He is an actor/stuntman; You seem like you are in denial about this thing.

The Toney fight was different, as Toney was a former boxing champion (Punk has no combat or amateur wrestling experience) and he fought Couture, a former champion. Plus, that was on the heels of Sylvia getting KTFO by Mercer, which had boxing fans deluded again about the boxing vs. MMA thing. It was similar with Brock, he was a former NCAA champion who fought a former champion in Mir, and he at least had one MMA fight. And, last but not least, Kimbo had to go on TUF (after headlining a few Elite XC cards) and fight Roy Nelson. The Punk thing is a total non sequitur, a sleazy and unprecedented cash grab that deserves to be hated and shamed by fans who bought in during the UFC's lean years.

The UFC booking a fight for the guy isn't the issue, you and I know both know they would if he were healthy. The fact that a guy with no credibility can fight in the UFC on a whim is shocking and totally goes against what the UFC's mission statement has been since Zuffa purchased the company. He is an actor/stuntman; You seem like you are in denial about this thing.

The Toney fight was different, as Toney was a former boxing champion (Punk has no combat or amateur wrestling experience) and he fought Couture, a former champion. Plus, that was on the heels of Sylvia getting KTFO by Mercer, which had boxing fans deluded again about the boxing vs. MMA thing. It was similar with Brock, he was a former NCAA champion who fought a former champion in Mir, and he at least had one MMA fight. And, last but not least, Kimbo had to go on TUF (after headlining a few Elite XC cards) and fight Roy Nelson. The Punk thing is a total non sequitur, a sleazy and unprecedented cash grab that deserves to be hated and shamed by fans who bought in during the UFC's lean years.

I'm not saying this isn't a freak fight, I'm saying it isn't a big deal and I don't care. One fight one time on one card doesn't bother me, the UFC is giving us hundreds of fights a year on their own now. Hell, I'm curious to see how he does, at his age with no background but a year or two of the best training money can buy. That said, I don't think we're ever going to see this fight, but if we do and it's terrible, I'll say so.

We're all MMA fans. If the very thought of this fight is so offensive to you, then by all means add your voice to the discussion, share that opinion. If enough people feel the same way maybe it will make a difference. As for me, this doesn't place at all on the list of things I care about. My big problem has always been the fact merit has had so little getting title shots.

those who have been responsible for the disgrace have been disgraced.

75% of the people watching it gotta see the train wreck.

I keep seeing some people using Kimbo vs Dada5000 to highlight how unprofessional and awful Bellator is, but not mentioning UFC having a fighter debut who has less fights than both of them. Really can't insult one without the other, but bear in mind that UFC is the big leagues, and can almost be held to a higher standard. I'm not defending yesterday's farce, but people need to judge it on its own bullshit, and not as a comparison, because they both wrong.

You assume Punk will gas after ~2 minutes like Kimbo and Doodoo 50?

The UFC signed Sean Gannon. That's far more embarrassing than any pro wrestler.

That fight almost seemed like it was staged. It was brutally horrible. I'm pretty sure Kimbo knows what to do in full mount and the fact that he gave it up so easily......
Half of Kimbo's fights look staged. And there was a lot of weird shit going on with his boxing as well. The only fights I feel for certain were legit were his UFC win against Alexander, his UFC loss against Mitrionne, and his Elite XC loss to Petruzelli. And i think Shamrock has had some weird looking fights as well

Putting it out there i could be wrong on both and they may not be staged. But the way some of those fights played it looked odd and there are very few fights in my life i have watched and wondered in the middle of the fight and I have a few times with both those guys.

Back